Main Menu

“Truth? You can't handle the truth!”

Started by The Legendary Shark, 18 March, 2011, 06:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

As you may know, I've hijacked a couple of threads lately with my "alternative views" of the world. Although I'm not sorry I did this, I am a little uncomfortable. I've been asking myself why I would do such a thing; why would I think that anyone is interested in such outlandish views? Do I want to convert people, to thrust my face into yours and scream "Look! Look what They are doing to us!" Am I mad? Has my mind snapped? They say that a madman never knows that he's mad – is that what's happened to me? Am I howling at the moon? Am I broken?

Or is there something in it? There is little likelihood that such a big question could ever be answered on a forum about 2000AD, but I thought I'd float this thread in case anyone wants to discuss "alternative" views. If nothing else, it'll give me a place to rant and rave without upsetting the forum in general. My own virtual rubber room. Feel free to point and giggle – I won't be offended.

I remember watching the events of 9/11 unfolding moment by sickening moment on TV. Aircraft smashing into buildings. People jumping to their doom rather than waiting to be burned alive. New York suffocating under great, white clouds of pulverized concrete. First Responders heroically but with aching futility searching for survivors in that terrible aftermath. Tears. Pain. Death. Anger.

And then watching, with a chasm of dread in the pit of my stomach, as the United States of America went mad, dragging the rest of the world after it. The most powerful nation on Earth, the one with the biggest guns and the most bullets, shaking its fist and declaring that "you're either with us or against us." I was with America that day. I felt its pain. I felt its fear. I felt its anger. I still do.

I was dimly aware that a few lone voices were crying "foul!" and blaming not Muslim terrorists but their own government and I thought these people mad. The U.S. Government, I believed, would not perpetrate such a despicable act against its own people. The very idea was unthinkable and an insult to all who died on that dark day.

It wasn't until around 2005 or 2006 that I began to have doubts of my own about exactly what did happen on 9/11. There were, I found, some unsettling questions. Thinking still that these questions were probably just landmines planted by anti-government malcontents I decided to look into these questions for myself, to convince myself that what I was being told was the truth and that these questions were trivial and easily answered and dismissed. I soon discovered, however, that many of these questions were difficult to answer and led to some very frightening places.

I had never heard of the collapse of the third tower, WTC7, until an internet friend of mine (whose intellect and knowledge of all things scientific dwarf my own as a redwood dwarfs a thistle) told me about it. Even then I didn't believe it because I didn't want to believe it. But those pesky questions remained and led me deep into a place I didn't want to go – to a place I still don't want to be in.

I continued my research (although the word "research" in this case is a much grander word than my meagre web-trawling sessions merits) and suddenly found myself confronted with a world I had hitherto not even dreamed existed. A world of ruling elites, corrupt central banks, rotten governments, biased media, fake wars, conspiracies and a whole raft of outlandish theories and frightening facts. The world, I realized, was not as I thought it was. It was like seeing a boom-mike dip into the top of the picture in a film or TV show. As if the illusion had been broken, the fourth wall cracked just enough for me to glimpse the other side.

I haven't started this thread to go through all the questions raised by 9/11 – there are a million and one sites on the internet dedicated to such things – but to ask if it's possible that things are not quite as they appear to be in this world of ours. Is it possible that there is a hidden struggle going on for "control" of the world's population? Are we nothing but cattle, or "sheeple" as some observers and commentators call us? If so, what can we do about it?

So, here's a thread where we can discuss truth and lies – if you so desire. The thread may, of course, sink without a trace into the background hiss of the internet but, given everything that has happened and continues to happen as a result of 9/11 should we not at least cursorily examine what's going on, or not, behind the scenes, or not, in our societies?

Over to you, my friends. Let the madness commence...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

staticgirl

Have you ever spent a while on the Fortean Times forum? You'll find all sorts of discussions on the conspiracy section (pro and anti) that will interest you. The forum members aren't mad either so I find their debates more enjoyable because they attempt to weigh up the evidence fairly dispassionately (although rows do break out occasionally.)

Although I am not convinced by many of the big modern conspiracy theories especially concerning 9/11, the truth is that conspiracies do happen and have happened throughout history. You just have to separate the wheat from the chaff. I often think if it sounds utterly banal it's more believable.

locustsofdeath!

America is evil, let's just leave it at that.

For my two American cents we didn't drag anyone into madness, they came with us. There were plenty of countries that didn't do anything other than offer condolences; Britain was not forced into this war. If your government still feels they owe us something for WWII then, hey, be mad at it.

House of Usher

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 18 March, 2011, 07:58:07 PM
America is evil, let's just leave it at that.

Word!

QuoteIf your government still feels they owe us something for WWII then, hey, be mad at it.

I know: that's crazy, isn't it? We spent 60 years paying back America for that and we were nearly done when Blair got us involved in America's bonkers plan to wreak havoc in the middle east. I think there were numerous factors at play, but owing America anything for past favours (like selling us weapons to fight the Nazis with) wasn't one of them. It was a combination of the British Prime Minister always wanting to keep America on our side, like the school bully's less tough sidekick; Blair fancying having a war of his own to run because it worked so well for Thatcher at the ballot box; and also something about 'God told him to do it,' if I remember correctly. Scary, eh?
STRIKE !!!

locustsofdeath!

I think you should still owe us, and anywhere I walk on this island I should have rose petals sprinkled out before me and men should offer me their daughters and all my drinks should be free. What's wrong with you lot? We saved your asses!

Keef Monkey

I've got a mate who I hadn't seen in years, when we reconnected he told me he had his own secret society of conspiracy theorists who meet and share theories and evidence. I thought he was joking but apparently not (he's been banned from Facebook recently for posting theories, which must have had the society in a right fizz about the conspiracies at play).

He did tell me that he was going to send me conclusive proof that there weren't any planes involved in 9/11 but he hasn't yet.

House of Usher

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 18 March, 2011, 08:23:42 PM
he told me he had his own secret society of conspiracy theorists who meet and share theories and evidence

The Lone Gunmen!

STRIKE !!!

Brigantian

Welcome into the light Sharky. You might find Nexus magazine interesting (usually available in the local WH Smiths).

Brigantian

Quote from: House of Usher on 18 March, 2011, 08:39:52 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 18 March, 2011, 08:23:42 PM
he told me he had his own secret society of conspiracy theorists who meet and share theories and evidence

The Lone Gunmen!

Ok where's the fourth gun man ? Good ol Jimmy Bond ? What are you trying to hide apart from Jimmy?

locustsofdeath!

If you have doubts about 9/11 you should interview a few of the survivors about what happened. No offense to anyone here, but if you have a certain agenda - "having doubts about exactly what did happen on 9/11" - and you start searching for conspiracy theories you'll find exactly what you're looking for. As far as this stuff goes, one should always be a skeptic with an open mind. Don't read and believe or listen and believe - get out on the street, do your own research.

And I need to add that whilst I can buy into the US government setting 9/11 up to a point...I find anyone saying that there were no plane crashes to be absolutely off their rocker. I was in Pennsylvania, my house was on a hill- as I watched the horrors on TV I could look out my window and see the smoke pouring up from NYC. IMO, claiming that there were no planes is insulting the memories of the people who died in them.

IAMTHESYSTEM

There are lots of ugly rumours surrounding 9/11 but I can't fathom the American goverment blowing up one of the symbols of capitilism just to start a war with the Arab World.

Their mostly at War with the Arab World anyway over Americas [mostly] unconditional support for Israel. Why make the War official when 'covert deniel' is so much more fun?

Anyway as WikiLeaks pointed out it's not Israel the Arab world is afraid of but that old enemy Persia! The Iranians and their alleged not very secret Nuclear Power Plant with it's potential for making weapons grade Plutonium concerns Sunni  Arabs and the West far more than the thorn of Israel ever could.   
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Brigantian

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 18 March, 2011, 08:55:47 PM
If you have doubts about 9/11 you should interview a few of the survivors about what happened. No offense to anyone here, but if you have a certain agenda - "having doubts about exactly what did happen on 9/11" - and you start searching for conspiracy theories you'll find exactly what you're looking for. As far as this stuff goes, one should always be a skeptic with an open mind. Don't read and believe or listen and believe - get out on the street, do your own research.

And I need to add that whilst I can buy into the US government setting 9/11 up to a point...I find anyone saying that there were no plane crashes to be absolutely off their rocker. I was in Pennsylvania, my house was on a hill- as I watched the horrors on TV I could look out my window and see the smoke pouring up from NYC. IMO, claiming that there were no planes is insulting the memories of the people who died in them.
Maybe his friend meant there were no pasenger planes involved as some have argued. No plane at the Pentagon though. IMHO that was either a light aircraft or more likely a missile of some kind. Never convince me that was a plane. What next ? Jesus was real ?

locustsofdeath!

Yep. And have you, sir, done any first-hand research? What is your knowledge, may I ask, of light aircraft vs. passenger planes and the effects each would have on a building such as the WTC? What types of missile could be used to fire on the WTC yet have millions of first-hand witnesses (people on the streets) see airplanes? Did our government get to every New Yorker and threaten and/or brainwash them into claiming that they saw airplanes rather than missile fire? And what kinds of special effects did our government doctor up during LIVE broadcasts?

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to "argue" with you. I can tell your type a mile away. You're the guy who's always right.

House of Usher

Quote from: Brigantian on 18 March, 2011, 09:03:16 PM
What next ? Jesus was real ?

Why shouldn't Jesus have been real? Just because he might have been real doesn't confirm his divinity or that he had magic powers, does it? Whilst my disbelief in the supernatural is total, I haven't considered any evidence relating to whether Jesus was real or not, so I'm prepared to keep an open mind on the matter. What evidence do you have for his non-existence?
STRIKE !!!

Jared Katooie

It's interesting to hear people talk about governments hiding terrible secrets. We live in a world where the government of Israel can forge passports from other countries to facilitate the murder of their enemies, and do so without any real consequences.

Why should a country hide its crimes if they know they can get away with them?

Israel's love affair with assassination.

Quote from: Brigantian on 18 March, 2011, 09:03:16 PM
IMHO that was either a light aircraft or more likely a missile of some kind. Never convince me that was a plane. What next ? Jesus was real ?

He was real.

Jared Katooie is sponsored by the Wikipedia Foundation and Google.