Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 16060 times)

Mardroid

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #285 on: 12 May, 2018, 01:30:13 pm »
Thanks Apestrife, I’ll check them out.

radiator

• Bionic Fingers
  • A fry without beans is a mere meat collage.
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #286 on: Today at 02:55:06 am »
I've been playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

It's really good stuff - an extremely lavish and polished 2d platformer - the level design is inventive and simply beautiful. It's one of the only platformers I've ever played where every single element and obstacle in a level has a reasoning behind it - ie there's no abstract, floating platforms anywhere in the game. In that sense it's really quite something, and certain levels (including one particularly memorable one set at twilight on a kind of African savanna themed area, where every character on screen becomes a simple silhouette) are absolutely gorgeous to look at.

However it is also (providing you don't cheat by using the easy 'Funky Kong' mode or constantly buy powerups) an incredibly difficult game (by modern standards at least). I've been moaning for years that the modern 2d Mario games have lost a lot of their addictive 'tightrope' quality by becoming exponentially easier over the years, and how I've wished they return to how punishingly difficult they used to be... and this game has really tested me on that  :lol:. In essence, World 1 in this game is about as hard as the World 8 in something like New Super Mario Bros. You will literally die on the very first level. Repeatedly.

Overall, though, after a rocky start and a severe mental readjustment, I've come to really appreciate the level of challenge and am enjoying it immensely (despite sometimes having to stifle the urge to hurl the Switch against a wall in frustration), and admire the developers a for sticking to their guns and making an old-school, hard as nails platformer, and not pandering to a modern audience.

The one aspect of the game I really don't like is the bosses. I don't really like boss encounters at the best of times, but the ones in this game are and pretty much my worst nightmare in that they take absolutely ages to beat, and go on for multiple distinct phases with wildly increasing difficulty and no checkpoints between them, meaning when you die, it's incredibly hard to summon the will to try again and not just give up. It's actually kind of embarrassing how long I was stuck on the World 2 boss for. World 2. And it's honestly got to the point where I dreading the bosses at the end of each world, and would rather go back and replay earlier levels than face them.