Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Last game played...  (Read 277671 times)

JamesC

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
Re: Last game played...
« Reply #2565 on: 25 September, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
I've just started playing Metroid Fusion for the first time. I'm playing it through the GameBoy Player on my lovely old Philips CRT TV. When I turned it on it absolutely blew me away. The presentation is beautiful and it looks and sounds incredible on the big telly.
Surprisingly, I'd never even seen this game running before. I'm a fan of Super Metroid and enjoyed the first Metroid Prime but other than that the series has remained on the periphery for me for some reason.
I really love the way they've designed this one for the handheld - making it playable in short chunks and relying less on (sometimes quite time-consuming)exploration. I'm not too far into it but I'm enjoying it so much that I've ordered a copy of Zero Mission as a follow up.

Link Prime

• View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: 28 September, 2020, 11:02:10 AM »
I've just started playing Metroid Fusion for the first time. I'm playing it through the GameBoy Player on my lovely old Philips CRT TV. When I turned it on it absolutely blew me away. The presentation is beautiful and it looks and sounds incredible on the big telly.

Haven't played it since the GBA days, but agree that Metroid Fusion was an underrated masterpiece.

wedgeski

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: 28 September, 2020, 01:52:12 PM »
Metroid Fusion was my first experience of 2D Metroid. I loved every second of it!

Mister Pops

• You're Goddamn right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: 30 September, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »
HALO: The Master Chief Collection on PC

I got this with Steam vouchers at Christmas, when only Reach was available. Since then they have been regularly releasing all the games in chronological order, and we're at ODST now. Those two games I mentioned, I hadn't played before, so I thought they'd make good bookends to my thoughts on the series as a whole.

Reach has its ups and downs, but overall I enjoyed it. The bits I didn't enjoy was the gaming leaning into spectacle over fun. There's a bit with a space fighter battle, my enthusiasm for which waned after just a minute or two. I play Halo to get up in the faces of freaky alien weirdos with my death cannon, not spray lazers in the vague direction of  distant HUD highlighted dots. The rest is mostly fun old fashioned running and gunning. The elites were tougher then they had been in Halo 3&4, but the brutes must've been to anger management or something.

Halo: Combat Evolved
Not much to say that wouldn't be redundant after almost two decades. Shooty fun, a bit too much back-tracking and a welcome left turn into survival horror in the middle.

Halo 2 is hard as balls. There are bits that require some good luck and this game is usually quite unfair.

It's my favourite.

Halo 3 is my least favourite. In fact I'd played it only once previously. When it came out, neither I nor my good friend (lets call him Steve, with whom I had finished co-op campaigns of the previous games on legendary) had an Xbox 360. We had been drinking since lunchtime the day after the midnight release. A third friend called at about 8pm and asked if we would like to come around to his gaff and help him finish the fight. Stumbling into his flat around 9pm, our noses were assaulted by the smell of the 5 gamers who had been banging their heads against this game on and off since the previous midnight. Stevie and I Roflstomped the whole game by 1am.

TLDR: Halo 3 was disappointingly easy.

It was clear the campaign had suffered for the newfangled online multiplayer. Given they had roughly a million users online constantly for a good long time, it was probably worth it for Microsoft and Bungie.

This is why Halo 3: ODST surprised me. It's a short game, just a DLC/expansion pack?. I think dense might be a better description. It starts off slowly, with levels that look more like something out of Quake:Arena than the actual futuristic city its supposed to be. It quickly ramps up though, and it's slightly more challenging than 3. This may be down to your character not being cybernetic super soldier Halo guy. I can see myself dipping into this one a lot, with its compact levels, to sate my hatred for freaky alien weirdos.

Just Halo 4 to be released to complete the collection now. This game kind of just slid off my brain. I have no lasting memories of this, probably because at the time I was living with 3 other lads in a haze of alcohol and drug smoke.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.
You may quote me on that.

RocketMother

• Mek-Quakes Leftovers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: 04 October, 2020, 05:57:59 PM »
Panel de Pon for the SNES emulator thingy on the Switch.

I never had a SNES growing up so I completely missed out on this puzzle gaming gem. For me it's more addictive than Tetris. Not something you want to pick up if you've got 5 mins to kill...my average play time is 30 mins a round. I play a few boards and there goes my entire afternoon... wicked fun though.

If you haven't tried it and you have a switch I suggest giving it a play (well if you like puzzle games anyway)

repoman

• Page Numbering Droid
  • Plate 'o shrimp
    • View Profile
    • The Judge Death Files
« Reply #2570 on: 05 October, 2020, 03:49:29 PM »
I'll check that out.  I love Tetris-y games (but not Tetris, weirdly enough).

I'm still battering this Kingdoms of Amalur remake.  It's so good.

shaolin_monkey

• Bananas For The Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2571 on: 05 October, 2020, 04:29:28 PM »
Do we have a thread for PSVR games? Couldn’t see one.

Anyway, Star Wars Squadrons - fun story mode, decent multiplayer, though it could use another couple of game modes and maps.

But my god, the VR is just AMAZING! I was really concerned it would make me motion sick, but no, it works brilliantly. It is so great to be sat in the cockpit of an XWing or TIE Fighter, and to be able to look around at controls you know so well from the films, and to be able to see 360 out of the cockpit windows - even lean over left and right to get a better view of the space combat!

The story mode has a such a great series of scenarios and settings, such as asteroid fields, Kessel Run style dangers, abandoned shipyards, all with a wide variety of ships and space stations. These look great on a decent TV but are utterly spectacular in 3D, once you’ve forgiven the usual PSVR shortcomings, such as the definition.

Fleet Battle is the key MP mode, which are sited in three areas, each providing different challenges re navigating about them. Facing a Star Destroyer is as epic as it sounds! It would really benefit from five people who know each other working as a squadron, each with a different class of ship, and each ship set up with particular custom equipment depending on play style. I personally favour a support ship that plants homing mines and autoturrets, ‘cos I’m an old man whose twitch reflex is long gone. I can’t shoot for shit.

So there’s lots to see and do, it is spectacular in VR, and it is also just a hell of a lot of fun!

Krakajac

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: 06 October, 2020, 01:10:56 PM »
In relation to playing Star Wars Squadrons in VR...are you playing on a plain ol’ PS4 or a Pro?

shaolin_monkey

• Bananas For The Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: 07 October, 2020, 12:11:55 AM »
In relation to playing Star Wars Squadrons in VR...are you playing on a plain ol’ PS4 or a Pro?

On a Pro. I’m not sure what the difference would be on PSVR on the old system - lower rez possibly?

Apestrife

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: 16 October, 2020, 07:49:05 PM »
Managed to beat Donkey Kong Country 2 yesterday. Loved that game as a kid, at least the graphics and the soundtrack. I only played it now and then at friends houses, and never got far. Alot of times I just wanted to listen to the tunes, like for example this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQx91RR3Y8o

So finishing it. Felt like "Iron Crotch Kung Fu" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2c_-9kIjyU

It's a really hard game, and things doesn't become easier when you're constantly needed to make pixel perfect jumps over enemies which have far from pixel perfect hit boxes. Almost drove over the edge at times. Especially on levels you need to be speedy riding a parrot with the two monkies hanging from it's feet.

So while the gameplay wasn't my favorite (I much prefer DKC1 and the 2.5D games by Retro) I came to like how varied the game is. Almost every level comes up with something new (and often infuriating) gimmick or gameplay element.

If this sounds like an interesting game then it's out on the virtual console you get via the nintendo switch online. While I'd rather recommend DKC1 or Tropical Freeze I still think people should give it a try, if not just to experience the nice 2d graphics and lovely music.

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXknTTEjLwQ

And here's one for tropical freeze (also a REALLY HARD game) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxDAyit9ak