Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Napalm Death - Throes Of Joy In The Jaws Of Defeatism!  (Read 1045 times)

NapalmKev

• Posting Machine
  • No Beans Man! Cheers!
    • View Profile
Re: Napalm Death - Throes Of Joy In The Jaws Of Defeatism!
« Reply #15 on: 09 September, 2020, 03:16:02 PM »

It feels like a bold decision to make such a stylistic shift but the signs were there on Apex Predator and they can't keep bashing out the same albums forever. I think it's important in extreme music to push your own boundaries and always do what you want rather than fall into a pattern of rote albums like, say, Slayer.

I get what you mean with Slayer. I would say they've ridden that same sound for their entire career. I do like Seasons In The Abyss, though.

Another band that always made a ton of money for doing the same thing over and over is Cannibal Corpse. Some good tunes aside their lyrics are awful, IMO. Shock rather than substance, I won't horrify any of the Forum members by posting CC's nonsense. I would recommend that people listen the album KILL. It's probably the best of their output, again, IMO.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Barrington Boots

• Mek-Quakes Leftovers
    • View Profile
Re: Napalm Death - Throes Of Joy In The Jaws Of Defeatism!
« Reply #16 on: 09 September, 2020, 04:12:52 PM »
The trick with Slayer is that when they first started out they were very unique and had their own sound. I'm not sure at what point their albums started being Slayer-by-numbers as I lost interest in them when they put out Diabolus (which ironically was a change of sound, just a very very bad one) but every time I hear anything off any of their recent albums they sound like tired rehashes from a band who can't experiment, because their fanbase won't let them, but are happy not having any new ideas.

I have a great fondness for early Cannibal Corpse but they definitely peaked around 1994 and everything afterwards is technically very tight and brutal but also a bit uninspired. I genuinely couldn't tell you the difference between albums after a while, which is when it's probably time for a band to stop.

Anyway, I'm glad ND aren't treading this path!