Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Comic Book Day Megathread  (Read 224729 times)

Tjm86

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
Re: New Comic Book Day Megathread
« Reply #2445 on: 01 December, 2018, 07:11:41 pm »
Has anyone else given Death Orb or Infinite Dark a try?  Both read like strips that would not be completely out of place in Tooth on one level and TBH I've taken a punt on these based on online reviews.  I'm wondering though why Dark Horse and Image took a chance (more so with Death Orb than Infinite Dark).

Artwork on both is quite variable, Dark delivering better quality than Orb and Dark seems to have much more interesting potential.  Orb comes across as another poor man's Mad Max rip off that has been woefully overhyped to me.

I think that this is one of those occasions when expectation has outlived experience.  I mean, I hope that something comes about that makes the recommendation make sense but at the moment I'm really not seeing it.  Infinite Dark shows moments of promise but Dark Orb just seems riddled with cliches.

I guess when I say 'not out of place in tooth' I mean more along the lines of 'during the nineties when the likes of Junker and Crusade plagued the pages.

Theblazeuk

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: 03 December, 2018, 01:36:47 pm »
I started Dark Orb and bounced off hard for exactly the reasons you describe. Regression is still a damn good read. Also started catching up on Hellboy & the BPRD, glad I got around to it as I'd put it off given that BPRD was effectively detailing the apocalypse that Hellboy was always building up to.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: 07 December, 2018, 09:22:09 pm »
Sick of reading a tried-out comic
Another drippie fail, a head full of zombie
I met a strange broader, he made me nervous
He took me in and looked at me steadfast
And he said

Do you come to comics in a blunder?
And get rubbish that makes you thunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear my wonders?
I'd better review, you better think them over.

Christ only knows where that song choice came from. Given some of the rythming not a good place that's for sure! Anyway dunn't matter none as it only a wee haul this time. Small but perfect.

Cinema Purgatorio 16 is still firmly 4 out of 5 and know I know it'll be done in two issues time I'm looking forward to reading the 4 as individual complete stories to get a better sense of them.

Immortal Hulk 10 was good, but frankly dragged out what we knew was coming and therefore felt like a tease. But we're there now and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Hillbilly - Red eyed witchery from beyond 3
continues to mark this series as not quite as good as the ongoing BUT Eric Powell is back on art so its still bloomin' excellent.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 38 damn when this comic is good it is such unfettered delight and this opening episode to a new arc suggests we got another great tale coming up. But its not quite book of the haul cos this is a...

Batman and The Maxx haul and that can only mean Batman and The Maxx 3 is book of the haul I mean this was good before but this issue marks up a notch it opens astonishing and then takes us to Batman's Outback for the last few pages and in doing so makes entirely clear why Maxx had to crossover with Bats and quite what Sam Keith has to bring to The Dark knight that no one else, NO ONE could of done. To say this is unfathomable undiluted genius is to undervalue it. I hope I never truly understand this but I will always love trying to work it all out.

Apestrife

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: 13 December, 2018, 08:19:47 pm »
BATMAN: DAMNED #2
Other than it being a bit too wordy (like one or two words too much) at times, I really liked this one. Continues what the first one started and goes all out from there. Really feels like Batman is loosing it in this one, and Constantine is having a ball narrating it. Azzarello really does a really good job making humans more horrifying than monsters. One scene in particular stood out, which I found refreshingly effective (since it's usually played for laughs). The ending was also very fascinating to me, how it manages to make violence look really scary even without going very far with things. Both a bit that it comes from a very dark place, and a detail which does a good bit of foreshadowing. Writing aside. Lee Bermejo's art... It could easily serve as a reason alone to buy this book. Cannot praise it enough. Marvelous stuff.

Sons of El Topo Vol. 1: Cain
Comic book sequel to Jodorowsky's El Topo, with Ladronn helping Alejandro putting his story into pictures. And it's really good. Takes place where the movie left off, in a way I think works well for both readers who's seen the movie as well as those who haven't. Has the classic (or perhaps it's typical) Jodo-stuff of bad people in black, good white, cruel violence and rape, but also some very beautiful scenes. Especially one involving puppetry. I cannot wait for the next part to come out.

The Metabaron Vol. 3: The Meta-Guardianess and the Techno-Baron
The new Metabaron story is by Jodorowsky, but written by Jerry Frissen. I think Jerry does a good job, but it's not as tight as Alejandro would plot it. Most notably a bit less eccentric, which I kind of felt fit the story. Has a couple of twists and turns and some tragedy towards the end, which ends on an interesting note. I just wish some of the characters from vol 1-2 came to better use. But all and all, a good read. Just wish it was a bit more insane.
« Last Edit: 13 December, 2018, 08:22:34 pm by Apestrife »