Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Comic Book Day Megathread  (Read 233792 times)

CalHab

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
Re: New Comic Book Day Megathread
« Reply #2460 on: 29 January, 2019, 09:07:45 am »
It's an interesting premise, so I'll probably read it as well, but I can't say I'm a massive fan of Kieron Gillen, he doesn't seem to be able to write a three-dimensional character. He's not terrible, though.

Theblazeuk

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: 29 January, 2019, 11:42:18 am »
I see what you mean (Wicked and Divine, Uber, even if I do enjoy those books), though his Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra were I think exceptions. Largely because it's Star Wars and every character had at least as many dimensions as the movies managed.

I think Die might be a little different due to its premise, but we'll see.

Apestrife

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:29:39 pm »
Fight Club 3 #1
I really liked Fight Club 2, and I think the third feels like it's going in all the right directions for me. Just like part 2, it doesn't feel like a book "tries", it does --what ever it's doing --and I'm onboard :)

Heroes in Crisis #5
Quite intriguied by this one. Not sure yet if it's a winner or not, but I'll stay with it to the last issue. While I think it's a bit stiff at times it also delivers some really cool and interesting moments. Some of the Batgirl stuff wasn't my fav, but I was floored by Harley's last page. Wow.

PreacherCain

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:24:48 am »
I see what you mean (Wicked and Divine, Uber, even if I do enjoy those books), though his Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra were I think exceptions. Largely because it's Star Wars and every character had at least as many dimensions as the movies managed.

I think Die might be a little different due to its premise, but we'll see.

I read the first two issues the other day and really enjoyed them. Gillen's stuff is a bit hit and miss for me. I really like Uber and his Star Wars comics but Wicked&Divine and Phonogram don't do it for me. I've always put it down to different musical tastes!

CalHab

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: 31 January, 2019, 10:31:32 am »
Phonogram is certainly the worst written of Gillen's work that I've read. It's a shame, as Jamie McKelvie does a good job on it.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: 02 February, 2019, 07:51:21 am »
Nice little mini haul this time as I had to go to the Nerd shop and get some baggin' supplies for selling some stuff. Anyway goes a little like this.

James Bond 3 is just well done Bond fun, enjoying this. Lone Ranger 4 is Mark Russell genius as he uses the genius villian from last time to really crank up the jeapardy and excitment .

Black Hammer - Quantum Age 6 is the real star - wow what a great way to land this story with a genuinely fascinating and origin way to resolve the impossibly challenging super villian fight. Just loved this. Jeff Lemire is creating all the superhero universe you will ever need with his Black Hammer stuff!

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2466 on: 02 February, 2019, 01:04:19 pm »
Black Hammer is absolute dynamite right now. Pick of the haul for me.

Mardroid

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: 10 February, 2019, 11:35:14 pm »
Reddin

A supernatural horror western. I downloaded it a while back but only just read it.

The demonic possession stuff wasn’t particularly original, but blending it into a Western resulted in something rather unique, I thought. I enjoyed that a lot.

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2468 on: 11 February, 2019, 03:48:55 pm »
Well I love me some Wyrd Western Horror so i'll be keeping my eye out for that!

Theblazeuk

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: 12 February, 2019, 10:03:30 am »
I've bounced off Shadow Roads, which is a shame because I loved The Sixth Gun