Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Political Thread  (Read 1211445 times)

Rately

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
Re: The Political Thread
« Reply #16695 on: 27 January, 2020, 10:09:11 am »
This Impeachment is an utter shitshow from the Republicans. The sheer corruption. My God. And now Bolton's book about to drop.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16696 on: 27 January, 2020, 01:00:40 pm »
As I understand it the argument is that the People elected Trump and love him dearly, and only the People have the right to get rid of him. Congress and the law isn't fit for purpose, and all this obstruction, manipulation and evasion is merely patriots respecting The Will of the People and frustrating the efforts of Traitors. All a tad familiar, TBH.

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #16697 on: 27 January, 2020, 03:34:08 pm »
I find it amusing his legal team have appealed to the courts on the pretence Trumps 2016 victory would be undemocratic in the eyes of “the majority who voted him into office”.

They seem to have forgotten Trump lost the popular vote. My how just 37 months can make thick people forget.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16698 on: 27 January, 2020, 04:58:36 pm »
I think the democractic primacy of the popular vote versus the Electoral College is probably moot: the electoral system is what it is (for now), you can drill all the way down into electoral divisions and processes and find enough quirks to convince you that none of it is remotely representative of the aggregate voter. 

As always with the kind of single-issue malarkey that Impeachment typifies, what I find fascinating is the complete dismissal of every other vote at every other level that selected the relevant parliament.  If you don't like the law of the land and what it requires, fair enough I suppose, it's probably largely out of your hands in the short term, but the House or Representatives/Commons/Dáil (and in the US the Senate too) are very much the choice of the voter - but that vote apparently no longer matters when some populist cause is afoot.

I wonder where it all ends, but if it wasn't for the bamboozling effects of media/social media, having seen how well Citizen's Assemblies have worked here of late* I'd still be sort-of hoping for a digital version of demarchy as the ultimate winner in the death match of representative versus direct democracy versus appeal to the Mob.

*And no, not just because of my fondness for Alastair Reynolds.