Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixmo

Quote from: painbros22 on 28 September, 2012, 08:20:08 PM
For 20 years i have been calling RESYK "res-sic", now after tonite Dredd told me i'm epic fail and it's actually "ree-syke" ***Head smashes into desk violently***

I was a "rezzik" man myself for a while. Around the same time I was also under the impression that the poisonous chem (chemical) clouds in Rogue Trooper should be pronounced "shem" rather than "kem". Psi Division caused some confusion, and don't even start me on Sláine (and I'm Irish!).

In other more on topic news, Dredd movie is great, go see it twice!

Something Fishy

No word of mouth bump then.

Sadly that'll see it pulled much quicker than over here.

I think we can safely the 50 million sequel target isn't going to get nearly reached.

I still think it might do enough globally and with home releases to make a small profit so won't be considered a bomb in the long term. 

Something Fishy

Looper did well. 15 rating helps a lot with sci fi.  The 18 rating and 3d bumping the price and limiting the audience during poor economic times feel like they've made it a massive missed opportunity to me.

radiator

QuoteOut of the top ten for Friday.

:o

Staggering.

Absolutely staggering.

I didn't think it would do so badly in my worst nightmares.

How utterly depressing.

CrazyFoxMachine

Roll on the DVD sales I say.

hazy efc

Quote from: Something Fishy on 29 September, 2012, 01:13:59 PM
Looper did well. 15 rating helps a lot with sci fi.  The 18 rating and 3d bumping the price and limiting the audience during poor economic times feel like they've made it a massive missed opportunity to me.
I can recall you saying this three weeks ago fishy your spot on mate i think the 3D fad is losing its appeal every cinema should have a 2D option but man is dredd great in 3D

MattJW

I really don't know why Dredd has ignored 2D to such a degree. It's audience is primarily an adult one, most of whom surely aren't so enthusiastic for 3D as juves are.

I'll be interested to hear opinions and explanations from Lionsgate, Garland and DNA further down the line.

Zarjazzer

Crap. :( I'm very disappointed. Guess good critical reception and w.o.m didn't make up the numbers alas.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Something Fishy

Quote from: hazy efc on 29 September, 2012, 02:26:25 PM
Quote from: Something Fishy on 29 September, 2012, 01:13:59 PM
I can recall you saying this three weeks ago fishy your spot on mate i think the 3D fad is losing its appeal every cinema should have a 2D option but man is dredd great in 3D

I have to admit to obviously being biased against 3d because I can't see it but I wasn't just going by my problem with it but by how many people i know who dislike it and will actively avoid it (and i'd read many more saying the same including several on grcade where i'm often found).

I think it's such a shame they were forced down this route to get funding. The funders were short sighted (aren't they always) and have hamstrung their own investment.

I bet it is great in 3d though for sure, i've heard nothing bad from those who like it.  Just such a shame they didn't make the cheap old money option widely available.  Get the feeling they could have doubled their sales if they did that and could get a 15 rating (but that would compromise their vision for this film so fair enough I guess).

Something Fishy

Quote from: MattJW on 29 September, 2012, 02:30:46 PM
I really don't know why Dredd has ignored 2D to such a degree. It's audience is primarily an adult one, most of whom surely aren't so enthusiastic for 3D as juves are.

I'll be interested to hear opinions and explanations from Lionsgate, Garland and DNA further down the line.

that's a good point.  the older audience are much more likely to have visual problems and to wear glasses, putting a lof of them off.  They're also probably more averse to these fads.

dracula1

How's ar' excellent Dredd film done in comparison with District Nines takings (or is it still to early to calculate)?

Something Fishy

radiator

District 9 Opening Weekend: $37m

Dredd Opening Weekend: $6m.

Something Fishy

it's a bloody shame.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/09/25/will-dredd-3d-finally-kill-the-comic-con-myth/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

They have a point.  Comic Con tells us nothing about how ordinary folk will take to things. Promote it poorly at your peril.