Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

"You have a woman's purse, My Lord Snow! I'll wager that purse has never been used in a fierce blizzard as a sack for capturing white walkers!"

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

lewism109

I just finished watching all nine seasons of CSI: NY and enjoyed every minute. Probably my favourite out of the CSI series. Now I am now watching ARROW and One Punch Man, the latter is very funny.

Tiplodocus

THE GOOD PLACE. It puts me in a good place. Danson is awesome and they've taken time to make Kirsten Bell's character likeable even though flawed. The half-Supermodel/half-giraffe that plays Tahani plays it a bit broader than the other three but I'm warming to her.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

The Good Place is unusual in that it starts great but just gets better as it goes along.  Watching it weekly now as it resumes after the Christmas break,  and the feeling of 'what the hell is going to happen now?!?' after every episode is delicious. Every character is delightful, and every time any of the supporting appear feels like a treat ("Yay,  it's Derek! "or similar is a regular cheer from our sofa).

All TV should be gloriously crafted 20-minute chunks like this. Or at the least have characters occasionally compose raps about Kierkegaard.

Tiplodocus

Only about 11 episodes in but have been giggling at the guest stars from "the bad place.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 November, 2017, 09:36:04 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 November, 2017, 10:02:51 PM
You know there's times when watching Twin Peaks that I catch myself wondering whether its holds up. I mean while I still love it, is that just because what it meant to me growing up? Cos of just how far ahead of its time it was back in the day.

Then you watch Episode 2.7... the one when we find out who killed Laura Palmer and you realise no, the reason you love it is because at its best its probably the best television ever made.

... Now lets see how the tricky middle period fares these days...

And I forgot we have the almost (almost) as brilliant episode 2.9 before the percieved slump. Damn its easy to remember why this show had such an impact on me and inspired so much to come...

... so I think the slump starts here...

Double self quote - oh the ego. Anyway I've finished Twin Peaks and yes the slump hits pretty hard and quick. After the resolution of the Laura Palmer storyline the show does really flounder. It seemed to hook onto the fact it had such a good ensemble cast of characters and therefore throw as many storyline at them as it felt where needed and see what stuck. Alas very little did and it led to some pretty poor story ideas.

Still I'm happy to report it redemned itself when it started to regain its focus and started to trim things down and the Windom Earle storyline takes hold, returning the series to mythology of the Black Lodge. The final episode is brilliant, quite brilliant. Its a shame that it didn't find a new direction, or limit itself prior to the sticky middle phase of season 2.

Still onwards and upwards, and I've got a movie I'm very much looking forward to seeing...

Professor Bear

Amazon Prime are screening The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel for free this weekend to celebrate its Golden Globe wins, and it's well worth checking out if your area is covered by the offer.
It's a period drama set in 1958 about a Jewish housewife who falls into stand up comedy when her husband leaves her and their two children for his teenage secretary.  Some contrivance in its opening episode - available to view for free on Youtube - but improves greatly as it goes, with some neat cameos from Jane Lynch and Wallace Shawn along the way.  Some glaring anachronism and an impossibly young cast for the covered material, but otherwise a highly enjoyable series.

Tiplodocus

Just reached end of Season 1 of The Good Place.

[spoiler]That is exactly how you do a twist. Utterly logical and makes perfect sense and It's all there right in front of you the whole time![/spoiler]

Mattofthespurs

Sopranos.
Yeah, yeah, I'm a bit behind.
Just finished season 1 and have ordered the blu ray complete series.
It's gold.

DaveGYNWA

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 11 January, 2018, 11:52:15 PM
Just reached end of Season 1 of The Good Place.

[spoiler]That is exactly how you do a twist. Utterly logical and makes perfect sense and It's all there right in front of you the whole time![/spoiler]

Totally agree -[spoiler] twist comes out of nowhere and then you think 'How the f*** did I miss that?"[/spoiler]

Each episode being 20 minutes long really helps - you can binge it (if you're not up to date) and not feel like you've wasted 5 or 6 hours of time :D

Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Tiplodocus

THE GOOD PLACE is really how LOST should have played out.

pictsy

I'm liking how many of you are also watching The Good Place.  I found that thoroughly enjoyable and am looking forward to seeing the third season.

pictsy

Quote from: pictsy on 16 January, 2018, 01:04:47 PM
...am looking forward to seeing the third season.

I mean the rest of the second season.  I forget that US TV stops showing seasons over the holiday period.

radiator

The Marvelous Mrs Maisel.

Heard a lot of good things, and it really lives up to the hype. Real comfort food TV. The cast are all great, but the lead is astonishingly good - such an assured, sparky performance from a relatively unknown actor.

One peculiar thing about it though is that while the show itself looks like it cost an absolute fortune - the costumes, sets and props are Mad Men-level immaculate, the title card and credits look almost laughably low-rent, like they are placeholders or something. Not that it really matters I suppose.

darnmarr

Quote from: radiator on 18 January, 2018, 09:23:53 PM
The Marvelous Mrs Maisel.
... while the show itself looks like it cost an absolute fortune - the costumes, sets and props are Mad Men-level immaculate, the title card and credits look almost laughably low-rent, like they are placeholders or something.
I love this show also. RE your point-- I'm not sure but, my own take on the simplistic title and credits was that they themselves were 'period' or 'retro'; simple graphics reflecting the look from a simpler age of 60's TV shows. I could be wrong , mind you.