Main Menu

yoincks! followed closely by bah!

Started by judgefloyd, 20 April, 2013, 11:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

[quote author=TordelBack link=topic=38402.msg1017509#msg1017509 date=1573905142

Bah! A petrol-guzzling commute is causing me angst. 5hrs a day by multiples of public transport or just 2hrs by car. Guess how my environmental principles fared against tge prospect of leaving the house at 5am and returning at 730pm.
[/quote]

I think I've found a solution to your car dilemma, Tordels.  ;)

https://tenor.com/view/yabba-dabba-doo-car-flintstones-gif-14618105

TordelBack

Solid suggestions here, thanks Hivemind - even PaddyKafka! A combo of many of these ideas should get me through - the crappy bike left at one end especially would mean the feasibility of getting a later 0645 coach, which would mean I could wait until the first tram runs at 0545, cutting a whole 45 mins off my journey and immensely improving the comfort... there's even a cycle path at the far end! Plus having a bike at work would mean I could do supply runs etc during the day. Doable, I think.   

I know I'm lost somewhere in the virtue-signalling mire here, but I am genuinely trying so hard to reduce my family's footprint in every other area that it feels like a real stumbling block to be seduced back into a car by lack of reasonable PT solutions.  There has to be some compensation for living in a high-density suburban wasteland over a home with some green around, and I believe access to viable public transport is the biggie.   

The Legendary Shark

I used to work in public/private transport and it's a complex web. You never know whether a taxi or mini-bus is going your way, empty or under-filled, on a regular run, that you can take advantage of. If you can find more people going the same way (not necessarily to the same place), then you have the potential to devise your own private transport route. It's not guaranteed, of course, but there's a decent chance. It's worth asking around local taxi/coach firms - because you never know...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

I take the 125cc motorbike option - not perfect, environment-wise, but there are electric ones available too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

I bragged to my workmate that I'd spent Saturday in the pub with Steve MacManus and Alan Hebden (courtesy of the Southern Contingent meet-up)...

... and he responded with a photo of him hanging out with Karl Urban and Jon (Punisher) Bernthal. Bah!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 December, 2019, 10:11:40 AM
I bragged to my workmate that I'd spent Saturday in the pub with Steve MacManus and Alan Hebden (courtesy of the Southern Contingent meet-up)...

... and he responded with a photo of him hanging out with Karl Urban and Jon (Punisher) Bernthal. Bah!

Who'd mess with us? moment 
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

And apparently both Urban and Bernthal turned into silent fanboys when Dolph Lundgdren walked past!

sintec

Yoinck: managed to get through christmas day with my partner's brexit voting family with no mention of politics

Bah: her Dad's 60th was today. At the point the shouting of "We won; get over it" could be heard from the kitchen I figured it might be a good time to make an excuse about the dog and leave.  I'm now at home with the dog, my partner insisted on staying because "she felt sorry for him because she was the only blood relative who'd turned up for his 60th". Really wanted to say "I wonder why that could be" but thought better of it for once in my life. Ugh the worst thing is how depressingly predictable it all was, a slow dive into a dumpster fire.

Dark Jimbo

Well I've not posted this before noe as I've not been sure where to put it, and world events are increasingly taking over...

We embarked on a big DIY job in January; completely replastered hall/stairs/landing, started replacing all architrave and skirting, floors etc - quite a bit of upheaval involved. Then our porch roof perished with all the January rains, resulting in our having everything from the hall/landing/porch piled high in our front room.

Into the middle of this chaos came the news that my partner is pregnant (our first). My head was spinning. Lots to plan for, lots to do, etc. I'm going to be a dad! One week after the positive pregnancy test, work informed me I was going to be made redundant.

I've now finished working my notice period and the job scene's gone pretty quiet. Who's thinking about taking on new staff at a time like this?! Can't even get an interview. And in the middle of this corona virus explosion, we find out we're not 12 weeks pregnant as we thought but 20 - so we've missed most of the important pre-birth tests and checks. Fun.

I would just like 2020 to just... Just please give me a chance to catch my breath. I'd like to finish the DIY or get a job or something before the next fire/flood/pandemic hits...
@jamesfeistdraws

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Stressful as feck no doubt, but congratulations are more important! Think what a story this will make at your child's 21st or wedding!

Work is in the shitter for almost everyone now, you cant let it worry you: it's wartime, but one day it will be over, and we'll all get back to work, and then you'll wish you could be at home with your kid instead. Look after yourself and your lady, Jimbo, that's all that matters.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 March, 2020, 02:52:10 PM
Stressful as feck no doubt, but congratulations are more important! Think what a story this will make at your child's 21st or wedding!

I know!

'What happened when I was born?'
'What didn' t happen, you mean...? '
@jamesfeistdraws

Funt Solo

Yeah: like wot they said. Sorry to hear about the work stress - this whole scenario makes me wonder how society can restructure itself to cope. But congrats on the family news. Oh, it's all mad.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Yeah hope the work thing sorts itself out. Whatever happens have fun with the baby thing  they are funny buggers!

von Boom

Great news about the forthcoming addition, Jimbo! Terrible about the work news. I hope it turns out well for you.