Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I've got a Totally Unoriginal Gaming Show on Youtube now  (Read 627 times)

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
Re: I've got a Totally Unoriginal Gaming Show on Youtube now
« Reply #15 on: 11 October, 2018, 09:55:24 am »
Great choice for a review - I whiled away many bus journeys playing Battleship when I was too tired for Tetris or too drunk for chess.  Gameboy games were so insanely expensive (I was  a student) that I only ever seemed to have games that no-one else wanted. It's notable that I put every GB/GBC/GBA game onto my MP3 player about 10 years ago, but have never yet played Battleship again. Maybe today's the day!

HdE

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
    • hde2009.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: 11 October, 2018, 03:22:17 pm »
Gameboy games were so insanely expensive (I was  a student) that I only ever seemed to have games that no-one else wanted.

And little has changed! I was at EGX a couple of weeks back, and I was surprised to see the prices of some of the Gameboy games being sold there. The more desirable ones have really held their value, it seems.

In a bizarre turn of events, 15 year old HdE actually ended up with two Gameboys back in the day. I don't know how that happened, but I remember being puzzled at the time as to why the games commanded such a hefty price considering the limitations foisted upon them. I always found them difficult to see on the dot matrix screen, and as a result, I very quickly lost interest in the console. In hindsight, it's a shame, because so many of the Gameboy's ports and original releases had a unique charm.

There's more Gameboy content in the works. I've just got to finalise bits and pieces here and there and work out how best to present the games.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Pyroxian

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 October, 2018, 03:36:43 pm »
In a bizarre turn of events, 15 year old HdE actually ended up with two Gameboys back in the day. I don't know how that happened, but I remember being puzzled at the time as to why the games commanded such a hefty price considering the limitations foisted upon them. I always found them difficult to see on the dot matrix screen, and as a result, I very quickly lost interest in the console. In hindsight, it's a shame, because so many of the Gameboy's ports and original releases had a unique charm.

Most of the time it was because Nintendo charged a £10 manufacturing fee for the cartridge (or more if you wanted battery saves etc.), so after retail had taken it's cut, that didn't leave the developer with much change from £25...

HdE

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
    • hde2009.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: 11 October, 2018, 04:44:05 pm »
Most of the time it was because Nintendo charged a £10 manufacturing fee for the cartridge (or more if you wanted battery saves etc.), so after retail had taken it's cut, that didn't leave the developer with much change from £25...

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, sadly.

Actually, that comment puts me in mind of this article from the Digitiser 2000 website - written by the legendary Mr. Biffo himself:

https://www.digitiser2000.com/main-page/is-nintendo-a-dick

HdE

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
    • hde2009.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: 16 October, 2018, 05:57:08 pm »
I've got a new video up on the channel - and this one's a bit of an experiment. It's still gaming related, but this week, I review the novel XCOM 2: RESURRECTION.

Link to review:
https://youtu.be/doFlgd3tVb8

GrudgeJohnDeed

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 October, 2018, 01:05:44 am »
Good review! I'm often suprised by how many franchises have books. I really enjoyed Enemy Unknown on 360, but not played Xcom 2. The gaps between my strategy game moods are usually measured in years and one's not come around again yet! I have been thinking about Advance Wars a lot though recently, might have to dig that out and see if it sparks me off..

HdE

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
    • hde2009.deviantart.com
« Reply #21 on: 21 October, 2018, 09:22:47 pm »
Good review! I'm often suprised by how many franchises have books. I really enjoyed Enemy Unknown on 360, but not played Xcom 2. The gaps between my strategy game moods are usually measured in years and one's not come around again yet! I have been thinking about Advance Wars a lot though recently, might have to dig that out and see if it sparks me off.

Glad you enjoyed it, Grudge!

If it helps any, here's a bit of a risky confession: I don't very often play video games strictly for my own pleasure these days. (I don't get a whole lot of time, to be honest!) But I DID grab a copy of XCOM 2 for the Playstation 4 a while back. There was even some talk of me doing a long, flashy playthrough and posting it on Youtube as an ongoing thing before Google ripped the bottom out of it as a business platform.

So, I DID end up playing a whole lot of thegame. And it's great! Surprisingly dfferent to Enemy Unknown in terms of difficulty curves and content. The shtick of fighting back after the aliens have already won influences things in a meaningful way. It's very, VERY good.