Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Board Game Thread  (Read 41904 times)

JustinKase

• New Arrival
  • Never Nude
    • View Profile
Re: The Board Game Thread
« Reply #630 on: 10 April, 2017, 07:52:26 pm »
I'd love a 2000ad boardgame of some kind. These things have moved on so much since the 80s, there must be space for one. Even if it was crowd-funded, to gauge support, I'd be well up for it.

Definitely a gap in the market.  I wonder how many people still play Block Mania (I'm going to guess now that Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper don't have the replayability as Block Mania and Mega Mania).

I was pleasantly surprised to find Block Mania at Gen Con a couple of years back - they played an epic match with 6 blocks involved, was very entertaining.

Recently I dug up the old Rogue Trooper game to introduce it to my new gaming group (me being the Eldster with all these ancient games).

Been working on something of a minor homebrew expansion to add some new cards.  Also reworked the old WD #90 cards so they would look more like the original set (that always bugged me).

If anyone is interested, feel free to check it out on the Board Game Geek page

The Enigmatic Dr X

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: 11 April, 2017, 02:55:14 pm »
Just spent a pleasant morning playing Forbidden Island with the kids.

Ideal fun for under 10s. I know it's been mentioned before, but the sheer joy of seeing their excitement when playing something that isn't plugged in warrants a reminder.
Lock up your spoons!

JustinKase

• New Arrival
  • Never Nude
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: 11 April, 2017, 08:15:38 pm »
Try The Magic Labyrinth sometime.  My kids (5 & 7) really enjoy the interactive nature of the 'invisible' walls.

The Enigmatic Dr X

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: 11 April, 2017, 08:37:50 pm »
Try The Magic Labyrinth sometime.  My kids (5 & 7) really enjoy the interactive nature of the 'invisible' walls.

Looks great. But it's £67 on Amazon!!
Lock up your spoons!

JustinKase

• New Arrival
  • Never Nude
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: 11 April, 2017, 08:57:09 pm »
Holy heck!

It was only $20 at Target.  Wonder if Target UK has it, or if you can have it shipped to one of them?

The Germany eBay classifieds site also had a bunch at pretty good prices.

von Boom

• Evil Cyborg
  • Drokk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:20:54 pm »
Leaving the bag in the mug is 18 months in the cubes creep.

Keef Monkey

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • I knew you'd say that...
    • View Profile
    • POPOLAC
« Reply #636 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:31:37 am »
There's a The Thing boardgame!

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/the-thing-infection-at-outpost-31-board-game

Yes! The limited edition features artwork by Jock too, this is a very desireable thing to me. Being Mondo, those editions will sell out in seconds and all appear on ebay for twice the price within moments, but I'm definitely going to try for one.

Satanist

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: 05 May, 2017, 11:49:50 am »
There's a The Thing boardgame!

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/the-thing-infection-at-outpost-31-board-game

Yes! The limited edition features artwork by Jock too, this is a very desireable thing to me. Being Mondo, those editions will sell out in seconds and all appear on ebay for twice the price within moments, but I'm definitely going to try for one.

I just found out this existed and now I MUST have it!
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Keef Monkey

• I knew you'd say that...
    • View Profile
    • POPOLAC
« Reply #638 on: 05 May, 2017, 02:08:27 pm »
There's a board game called Panic Station (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69552/panic-station) that a friend of mine owns which has a lot of very The Thing-inspired mechanics - it's a research base, some people are infected and there's a method of infecting other players which keeps things very secret (whenever you're in a room along with someone you have to trade an inventory card and you can spread the infection that way). We only played it a couple of times, but both times it escalated really quickly into tense paranoia and people attacking and ganging up on other people around the table (who often turned out to be human).

If they take some cues from that game and dress it up in all the licensed trimmings then this could really, really be something special. Can't wait!