Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Board Game Thread  (Read 84878 times)

sheridan

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
Re: The Board Game Thread
« Reply #675 on: 13 May, 2019, 02:05:22 pm »
I did get the Hellboy board game at the weekend which looks very nice. I'd seen the Kickstarter but decided I really didn't have the time/space/need for another board game, but it turns out a couple of lunchtime pints before stopping into the board game shop was all we needed to put all that pesky rationalizing to one side and just get it.

:D

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: 28 May, 2019, 04:22:56 pm »
Simple question, as I know very little about these things:

Mythic Games' Solomon Kane, which is still undergoing Kickstarter stuff, but has raised well over a million dollars- anyone have any idea when we can expect it on shelves? 

SBT

Keef Monkey

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • I knew you'd say that...
    • View Profile
    • POPOLAC
« Reply #677 on: 11 October, 2019, 09:09:22 am »
Didn't realize it existed so have just ordered Mass Effect Monopoly. I don't play much Monopoly but I've always thought the right license makes a world of difference for me getting into something like that (I always like Star Wars Monopoly and Mass Effect Risk) so looking forward to playing it reskinned with my favourite game franchise.

Also looked into buying the Big Trouble In Little China board game and that thing goes for almost £200 these days so I guess the lesson is to buy these games before they go out of print! The Thing board game I got from Mondo also seems to be going for silly money so glad I jumped on that on release.

sintec

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: 13 October, 2019, 07:58:47 pm »
Any other Kingdom Death players on the board?

For the uninitiated it's an epic, sprawling, survival horror co-op game set in a grim-dark world heavily inspired by the Berserk manga. You have a settlement of survivors who send out a group of 4 hunters to track and kill and hideous beast each year. Success leads to resource drops which allows you to craft better gear, failure leads to hideous death. Every 4-5 years a Nemesis shows up to challenge the settlement and slaughter your survivors. It's brutal and unrelenting with plenty of nethack style gotchas and random oh dear you rolled a 1 you die horribly moments.

Oh and the minis are utterly gorgeous (or hideous in the case of some of the monsters). https://kingdomdeath.com/

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: 13 October, 2019, 09:07:04 pm »
I presume it's me, since it's very popular, but KD always seems to me to be unnecessarily horrible. Lots of willies and boobs and distended entrails in the service of, what, unpleasantness?

I say "it's not you, it's me" because it does appears to gel with a thriving  strand in TT gaming - various RPG-advice tubers seem to have a similar aesthetic, for instance I recently stopped watching the very interesting Dungeon Craft channel (hosted by the affable Professor Dungeon Master!) when the hobgoblins in his updated Keep on the Borderlands campaign turned out to reproduce by raping human women who they kept imprisoned and pregnant. Once i saw that, i noticed he was endorsing RPG books by dodgy characters like Zak Smith, and well, no. And it's not the first channel I've bailed on for similar.

I mean, OK, it's make believe and D&D always had its teenage pervert side, but we're adults now, no? Do we really want to be fantasising about interspecies rape dungeons? Well, like I say, not averse to bit of grimdark, but not for me.

I don't mean to lump KD and its adherents in with that sort of nonsense from a position of ignorance, but from the outside that's how it *looks* and it puts me right off.
« Last Edit: 13 October, 2019, 09:09:48 pm by TordelBack »

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: 14 October, 2019, 04:33:24 am »
I played Keep on the Borderlands back in the day, and then reflected years later that the adventurers were basically committing genocide against multiple populations of non-human. (Well, they didn't have to kill them all, but if you wanted loot for that shiny new armour...)
fate amenable to change

wedgeski

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: 14 October, 2019, 09:26:58 am »
I presume it's me, since it's very popular, but KD always seems to me to be unnecessarily horrible. Lots of willies and boobs and distended entrails in the service of, what, unpleasantness?
Based on that alone, the SU&SD review was quite enough to put me off.

sintec

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: 14 October, 2019, 12:11:19 pm »
Kingdom Death's aesthetic is definitely not for everyone - personally I thought the SU&SD review was a little harsh but then a survival horror game like this is somewhat outside their comfort zone so it wasn't overly surprising.

In its defence I'd say that despite the Berserk influence (cos lets face it that manga is pretty grim in places) the game avoids any references to rape in the story events or plot lines.  The Intimacy event by which survivors reproduce explicitly states that 2 consenting survivors be nominated. And despite an expansion which contains a monster with particularly phallic tentacles it resists the urge to go full hentai with rapey tentacle attacks. In fact (ignoring the art for a moment) it's gender politics are actually pretty progressive, there's vitually no difference between male and female characters beyond a chance of death in child birth for the ladies. The art however is definitely divisive and I can well understand how it's a barrier to entry for many. The game is also a brutal RNG a heart and that's not to everyones taste either.

Just backed https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1492106834/aeon-trespass-odyssey/posts/2619413 which looks like it's going for a similar campaign style co-op but with an Ancient Greek theme. They've committed to keeping nudity out of the game and from the look of it they've toned down the body horror elements of KD some too. If you are interested in the campaign and boss battle elements of KD but put off by the art/world then this might be worth a look.