Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Quote from: sheridan on 06 November, 2020, 02:24:30 PM
Now... how far are you going to take that?  I've gone as high as D30 but the never-stop-rolling* D100 is a) out of my price range and b) too bulky :)

*D30 take long enough to stop rolling - they're essentially a ball.

Aren't D100 essentially just a gimmick?

I saw a YouTuber show off some nice D6 that were just duplicate numbered D12.  I like the idea and it would be great for D4, which I find are awful to roll.

Colin YNWA

Having been a big player of TSRs Marvel Superheroes RPG way back in the day  I remember seeing a D100, looking at it slight enviously for like 15 seconds and then quickly grabbing 2d 10 and throwing them hoping to get a Yellow or Red result so Captain Britain could take down Porcupine.

I couldn't imagine life without 2 D10 for % rolls.

TordelBack

Yeah, the lad is a 2d10 purist, doubt I could even tempt him to a d100. In fact, I think he mainly wants a set of his own because I've loaned him a pile of non-standard dice I got in a Kickstarter (d6s in the shape of fireballs, d8s as potion bottles, even a d20 as the brim of a wizards hat, and most entertainingly d2s as spellbooks (i.e. Coins)) and I think it's driving him mad.

He's an insatiable tinkerer though, 5 sessions into running his first campaign (DnD 5e) and he has a list of homebrew "improvements" that he wants to introduce. I irritate him greatly by saying "yeah, you've just invented Runequest combat there", or "interestingly,  that's exactly how initiative works in Hackmaster 5th ed". I view my insufferable know-it-all behaviour as a necessary broadening of his horizons, no DM is an island.

Dandontdare

pffft well back in MY day, even D10s were considered naff as they're not regular polyhedrons, and the D20s all had 0-9 twice, none of this poncey double digits - those were only to be found on those la-di-da D12s. I remember being genuinely impressed by my first D20 that actually went up to 20!

There are some truly gorgeous sets out there now, I just had a quick browse and nearly spafffed £8 on some metal ones I'll never use. Good job I'm not drunk (yet).

And yes, the D100 is just very, very silly.

Leigh S

D12s are my dice of choice - the repeated D6 ones I raided from carboot football monopolies are my favourite, but if I looked an found a D4 reporting D12, I would be all over it

Dandontdare

If I could tell 1980-me that I'd still be talking about this in 40 years...

Funt Solo

I've probably told this story already somewhere, but someone wrote into either early White Dwarf or maybe Adventurer magazine years ago and had bought a D100 and rolled it 25,000 times, graphed the results and found that it spiked around 25, 50 and 75. In other words, it was shit.

I told that to a hallucinating Dutch dude in Oz and he said "random enough for me, random enough for you". Fucking hippy.

I teach my programming students how to program in a 2D10 simulation, even though it's easier just to generate a random 1-100. Because ... D&D.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 November, 2020, 06:25:13 PM
pffft well back in MY day, even D10s were considered naff as they're not regular polyhedrons, and the D20s all had 0-9 twice, none of this poncey double digits...

Those 0-9 d20s were the mark of a serious gamer when I was starting out - even my Moldvay Basic box had a 1-20 version. That also came with a crayon, of course, and as I ran my own D&D fiefdom for at least a year (maybe 2) before I met other gamers, I had absolutely no idea why.

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 November, 2020, 09:00:32 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 06 November, 2020, 06:25:13 PM
pffft well back in MY day, even D10s were considered naff as they're not regular polyhedrons, and the D20s all had 0-9 twice, none of this poncey double digits...

Those 0-9 d20s were the mark of a serious gamer when I was starting out - even my Moldvay Basic box had a 1-20 version. That also came with a crayon, of course, and as I ran my own D&D fiefdom for at least a year (maybe 2) before I met other gamers, I had absolutely no idea why.

They were just the first I ever had, the really cheap and nasty ones. The only games shop in my town was a model shop whose owner had grudgingly started stocking RPG stuff. He was never nasty and took our money gladly but you could tell he hated us - we were weird nerds, not train nerds. It had basically a shelf of books and the Citadel Miniatures stand, including the cheapest sets of plastic poly dice that didn't last well. Soon upgraded to those impressive sounding "high impact" (ie 'normal') dice, but I remember when that's all I could get.

EDIT shit, hold on a mo...

Dandontdare

ah bollox, can't seem to upload the pic* but I found the sad survivors of that set - blank, round edged - the D4 is sort of sucked in and warped and the D8 is a green blob. But I'll never throw them out

*Might be my shitty broadband, but imgur seems to be in the middle of a bit of a civil war today - not over the election memes, but about Mr Puckett ... don't ask

von Boom

d6 is dull and boring but Traveller relied on them exclusively so they're good enough for me. Many of my characters never made it out of the creation phase.

pictsy

The joy of D6s is quantity.  It is part of the reason I'm trying to get into wargaming.  I have gathered a lot of D6 now and throwing a handful of them is so satisfying.  I look forward to the aftertimes when I can venture back out into the world and throw dice to have them mean something.

Also, after a conversation I had remotely with a friend last night it looks like I might be starting up my second attempt at DMing a D&D game.  If I do, I'm going to use modules because I really don't have the time to create a bespoke adventure.

moly

Got too many bones, really enjoying this so far. Also ordered etherfield as the pledge has re opened

Funt Solo

Mention of modules reminds me of my first D&D set - the Basic boxed set from '81-ish:

The module was "Keep on the Borderlands", but the plot is "commit genocide of the subhumans". It's brutal.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Leigh S

Sure I pushed Core Space the first time round, but second Kickstarter is looking like quite good value if you are rich enough to dive in...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/battlesystems/core-space-first-born?ref=user_menu