Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: pictsy on 25 May, 2020, 10:35:32 AM
Oh, I have also been re-creating the old game HeroQuest in paper mini and papercraft form.

Pics please Pictsy!

Leigh S

a certain PVS late of this Parish continues to delight  - check out the video!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1662635043/book-of-the-dead

pictsy

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 May, 2020, 03:10:53 PM
Pics please Pictsy!

These aren't great photos.  It has been really difficult trying to figure out how to do some nice photos of the real deal.  I'm also pouring pretty much all my time into illustrating these.  And I made a mistake when printing the cards (yeah, I've even redone the cards) that was a pointless time sink.  Anyway, I hope to start getting some real photos done by the end of the week.  I'm currently working on colour variations for the last lot of minis I finished.

In the future I hope to do something similar for Space Crusader as well, but I want to get a load of fantasy stuff done so the minis can be used in role-play and wargames as well.  I don't want to be too niche, especially given the style I chose.

JamesC

That's beautiful and a really amazing achievement.

TordelBack

Absolutely spectacular!  :o  That throne alone is fantastic.  What are the bases you're using? 

We needs close-ups of the characters and monsters now!

Are you planning on making this available at any point? I've never owned (or played) Heroquest, but greatest unboxer of them all the Bard always inspires me to try.

pictsy

Wow, wasn't expecting such a positive response, thanks guys :)

The bases are home made using two types of card, the painted black around the edges.
All the minis on show in these photos are currently available on my patreon page.  The furniture and tile sets are not (I wasn't in any hurry as I only have one patron and she's someone I know).

I have a plan for showcasing printed minis that will have me photographing them together in different scenes and giving them low effort dialogue as some sort of daily one page webcomic thing.  I dunno how to describe it, I just figured I should be posting something on social media daily... I really don't know how to publicise myself.

Nevertheless, the illustrations are on my facebook page or my patreon.  I should probably give a warning that my facebook page is also full of the miniatures I've been painting, books I've been reading and my utter disgust at the government.  Mostly painted miniatures. 

It's all about that engagement, right?

The Bard and some casual internet searching are what prompted me to start this project.  There is a website devoted to keeping Heroquest alive, so I've been using that a lot.  You also have to find a way to use D6 because the game has unique dice.  It's pretty easy to do.  The rules to the game (not the questbook) are actually available on Hasbro's site. I don't think they are aware of it.

Colin YNWA

Just about a board game but much to my amazement we got Beasts of Balance out for its first lockdown run (why we'd not got to it I don't know) and its as fun as ever. AND it seems to be back in stock after disappearing. Some of the extras seem to be back in the US at least.

Its now cheaper than it was and has Battle mode built in for the life of me though I can't get Battle Mode for our old edition does anyone know if that's possible? Even tried reinstalling the app which meant we lost all our beasts ... which actually made it more fun as we were less focused on crazy combinations just to expand our bestiary!

sheridan

I posted over on my back prog hack thread, but this one also belongs here.  My back prog slog blog has got to the point where Project XXX was revealed in late 1982, and that means it's time to take down Judge Death for scrawling!  Or more likely get sent to Intensive Care).

And for good measure, the corresponding White Dwarf (features a Judge Dredd boardgame takeoever).

TordelBack

Don't know if y'all saw the recent exchange on Twitter, but Ian Livingstone suggested Rebellion reissue the JD BG for its 40th anniversary, and Jason Kingsley expressed his enthusiasm! Even asked about getting the art off Ian for scanning!

https://twitter.com/RebellionJason/status/1264949146202619905?s=20

Bolt-01

Ah - PVS! You are greatly missed.

Quote from: Leigh S on 26 May, 2020, 03:20:13 PM

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 May, 2020, 07:34:55 PM
Don't know if y'all saw the recent exchange on Twitter, but Ian Livingstone suggested Rebellion reissue the JD BG for its 40th anniversary, and Jason Kingsley expressed his enthusiasm! Even asked about getting the art off Ian for scanning!

https://twitter.com/RebellionJason/status/1264949146202619905?s=20

That would be an a wonderful thing and if reasonably priced an instant buy.

TordelBack

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 27 May, 2020, 11:01:53 AM
Ah - PVS! You are greatly missed.

Quote from: Leigh S on 26 May, 2020, 03:20:13 PM

I didn't know Paul was involved in Midlam - great company, I've had a lot of fun with their kickstarters.  Looks like I'll be in on this one too.

norton canes

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 May, 2020, 07:34:55 PM

Yeah, this should definitely happen. Throw in a few new bonus perp/crime/action cards as an extra incentive.

Also, I've always thought there's massive potential to expand the depth and complexity of the game by enhancing the basic roll-based combat system, adding new events and resources, and even replacing the board with tile-based sectors so that the layout changes with each play.

Tomwe

pictsy your heroquest artwork looks stunning! an amazing project.

pictsy

Quote from: Tomwe on 27 June, 2020, 11:11:46 AM
pictsy your heroquest artwork looks stunning! an amazing project.

Thanks.  It's been good to get positive feedback about it.  I have been worried that it looks like crap and no one will want to contribute to my Patreon because of that, but positive feedback is showing I need to find ways of getting more people to see what I'm doing.

I have finished all the assets I need for to play the original box game (I need to design a stat sheet and character sheet, but that's like a days work).  I have the minis illustrated and made for all the expansions (except Advance HeroQuest).  I have taken over 150 photos so I can start flooding instagram with my work.  I still need to do the extra tiles and cards.  In retrospect I should have done Space Crusade... fewer expansions. 

I think it'll take a month at most to get this finished and I'm looking forward to having it done.  Once it is done I'll be expanding the range so that the minis can be used in TT Wargames.  I'm looking forward to designing things like Chariots and Catapults (which I intend to be 3D).

I'll be sharing more stuff here once I have touched up the photos and maybe taken some more for showing the wider range available.