Main Menu

Y'know what really grinds my gears?

Started by Link Prime, 12 April, 2014, 01:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

I would have tried to record those farts for posterity.... And then used it as a sound track to an advert...

( if I had the talent) But then I have an evil streak.

Trout

Quote from: The Doctor Alt 8 on 12 June, 2014, 02:57:02 AM
I would have tried to record those farts for posterity.... And then used it as a sound track to an advert...

( if I had the talent) But then I have an evil streak.

They were silent but violent.

Professor Bear

I am shocked at the suggestion that someone who spends their time on internet forums dedicated to a fifty year old childrens programme so they can tell the world that Steven Moffat has ruined it by making it different than when they were a child might not have the gumption to wash now and then unless reminded.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 June, 2014, 01:11:27 AM
A horrible aspect of being stuck beside someone/something with a serious hum for a particular length of time is that the brain gradually acclimatises itself to the stench- filtering it out of awareness when it recognises the funk isn't life-threatening.

My first job had me stuck beside someone who stank to high heaven but didn't seem to know it, and it was mentioned by someone that eventually, you filter out other peoples stink much as you do your own.  Since that day I've had minor OCD about my own potential pong that others can smell but I cannot, to the point that while scouting new flats I ruled out several based entirely on how they smelled.  Too bad I didn't comprehend that someone later moving in downstairs from where I did end up who have hygiene, alcohol and drug problems might have been a factor somewhere down the line, as it might have averted an impending punch-up.

JamesC

Today's free promo copy of The Sun grinds my gears. I actually think the Sun can be quite funny and even witty at its best but this is just awful.
It's all about how great it is to be British and has been posted to every house in the country. One quote "Obviously the best thing about being English is not being French or Belgian".

I'm quite happy to be British but I feel we should print out 20 million copies of this thread to post through people's doors in the interest of balance.

Daveycandlish

I don't think the ink cartridges in my printer could cope - it barely does two copies before telling me Cyan is running low
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

ZenArcade

He he, I think Cyan ran a bit low around here a while ago! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Proudhuff

Quote from: JamesC on 12 June, 2014, 09:41:46 AM
Today's free promo copy of The Sun grinds my gears. I actually think the Sun can be quite funny and even witty at its best but this is just awful.
It's all about how great it is to be British and has been posted to every house in the country. One quote "Obviously the best thing about being English is not being French or Belgian".

I'm quite happy to be British but I feel we should print out 20 million copies of this thread to post through people's doors in the interest of balance.

Imagine the outrage if that had said: 'Obviously the best thing about being Scottish is not being English or Belgian'

Why is it acceptable for our southern neebs to insult their suuthern neebs? Mostly I feel sorry for the plucky little Belgians.
DDT did a job on me

Old Tankie

Hang on a minute, isn't there something going on north of the border at the moment about not wanting to be English/British?!!

And where's my copy of the Sun!!?

Montynero

The most depressing thing about nationalism is the hatred of others it engenders, the idea that they are somehow 'other' and nothing like you.

It's perfectly possible to take pride in your community or country without pissing on other people's. And yet...

Theblazeuk

For anyone who watches In The Flesh, I thought Phillips speech about making people others just so you could feel good about yourself despite your obvious flaws was very well written and timely. Just comes to mind given this nationalistic rubbish.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Old Tankie on 12 June, 2014, 11:54:04 AM
Hang on a minute, isn't there something going on north of the border at the moment about not wanting to be English/British?!!

And where's my copy of the Sun!!?

No.  We've never not wanted to be English.  We never were. ;)

As for British?  I only object when folk tend to ID British and English as the same thing, as do most of my English friends. :)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Dandontdare

but you may not get one in Liverpool: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-27806513

Trout

Oh fuck. This thread is now affected by missing-the-point-about-the-independence-referendum.

It's dead now. We should leave it, and start again somewhere else.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Trout on 12 June, 2014, 01:35:55 PM
Oh fuck. This thread is now affected by missing-the-point-about-the-independence-referendum.

It's dead now. We should leave it, and start again somewhere else.

You could say that, however I was talking about the anti-French racism that is acceptable in the mainstream media, (and strangely enough in Mock The Week.)
DDT did a job on me

Charlie boy

I'm happy to say I haven't received my free copy of The Sun with living in Liverpool. I understand why the postal workers decided against posting it and their decision has saved me the bother of having to run out the door after the postman to insist he take my copy back.