Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: GQ: How 2000ad Predicted The Future  (Read 27799 times)

sheridan

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
Re: GQ: How 2000ad Predicted The Future
« Reply #120 on: 16 July, 2020, 12:34:44 AM »
I have a huge confession to make.  I've never seen BTTF.
Always meant to get round to it and never did.  I know the story of the first one in detail, and that's from a mixture of reading the free picture booklet with Ready Brek and my friends excitedly explaining it.  Sorry, everyone, not cool, I know.

Well remembered - that tale of time travelling thirty years into the past was released 35 years ago (as were the ready brek booklets).

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 16 July, 2020, 09:19:42 PM »
 It stands out particularly in my memory as a mate of my brother's cut it up and used the photos to illustrate his own sequel to BTTF, called Back to the Past.  It had exactly the same plot as the first one, except everyone was older (but physically unchanged, judging by the photos - even the elderly Biff had become a school bully again, and looked like he did when he was a teenager).

Imagine our complete lack of surprise when the real sequel turned out to be set in the future.

“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

Tjm86

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 14 August, 2020, 09:15:19 AM »
Thinking of the scene from Judge Dredd: Origins in which Booth is seen talking in vague terms about the need to dispose of his troublesome aide.

Turns out that this is dangerously prefiguring Trump according to Cohen who is writing a book about his experiences:

he knew that Trump was like a 'mob boss' who would never directly order a hit but instead spoke in a way 'carefully calibrated to convey his desires and demands.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8625259/Cohen-reveals-contents-bombshell-book-Trump-saying-witnessed-golden-showers-tax-fraud.html

:o