Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread  (Read 576837 times)

Greg M.

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Demon is up in the attic to the left.
    • View Profile
    • The Beat of His Own Drum
Re: Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread
« Reply #4185 on: 17 August, 2020, 07:09:14 AM »
And on the flip side of that question; why include Red Razors or Janus?
Because they're written by one of the most commercially successful comic writers alive (two, in the case of Janus.) We know these partucular stories are pish, but the names Millar and Morrison sell.

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #4186 on: 17 August, 2020, 10:26:31 AM »
I do wonder what people thought of those coming to it fresh. It would be really interesting to see the sales for such issues, especially if they’re late on into the run. For 2000 AD, I’d have thought the smart move would be to seed the early issues (1–20) with ‘famous’ stuff, get people subbing, and then go for pure quality later. The Dredd collection was all over the place for its run, bar that last 10, which hit it out of the park. The 2000 AD one has for me been much more stable, even if I’d have happily skipped from Horned God to Books of Invasions. The extension, assuming it happens, looks superb, too. Lots of quality left to mine, there, and although I’m not keen on everything being released, it’s almost all objectively high quality.

Jade Falcon

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4187 on: 21 August, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
Rereading these books and I noticed a nice bit of what I'm sure is not just a coincidence. An early Judge Death story, the one where Anderson is forced to go back to deadworld and let the dark judges regain access to the city. There is a panel where the Dark judges teleport into Dunc Renaldo subway.

Isn't it funny that this self same block was where Kit Agee was held in Necropolis.

gogilesgo

• Never Nude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4188 on: 31 August, 2020, 06:25:27 AM »
well, having read all ninety volumes, i feel really cheated. within the approximately twenty thousand pages that the collection covers, they have not found space for the - *imho* - single greatest wagner dredd story. admittedly i'm biased, because they were my first progs, but 'battle of the black atlantic' from progs 128 & 129 (i think) had everything - a 59(D) cit swoop, drones, meg/eastmeg politics, an almost incapacitated dredd arresting an entire eastmeg ship, fascism, blistering ron smith art, the blackest wit, everything. i would recommend this story to anyone wanting a neat into to the world of dredd, but in twentyk pages it didn't make it in to this collection. shame. extreme shame (especially considering the dross that *has* made it in).

everything above, along with the superb 'MOTHERRRR'. One of the most surprising twists in a Dredd tale. Everyone on the ship, and almost every reader imagined Cap'n Skank to be deranged but....

Jade Falcon

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4189 on: 06 October, 2020, 09:17:03 PM »
I've been rereading the collection.  Just finished 82, Judge Anderson The Trip and I loved all those stories.  I was telling a friend about this book and how hard Anderson really finds it.  Some of these stories are really sombre.

Anyway, I went looking on Abebooks for this one....instead this was one of the search results.  Methinks someone is a bit ambitious, ESPECIALLY for this volume

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30131502120&cm_sp=Searchmod-_-NullResults-_-BDP