Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Corto Maltese: Under The Sign of Capricorn – spoiler light (3 preview pages incl  (Read 14563 times)

Timothy

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
I’m in the can’t be pleased camp here. A little way up the thread I complained that we didn’t get the full colour reproduction of the watercolour opening page of The Fable of Venice. Well we get the colour here and it’s beautifully reproduced, but it feels like padding on a very short story. It’s a good story - Rasputin in particular is wonderful - but it doesn’t seem good value for money on a premium book such as this.

Apestrife

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
I’m in the can’t be pleased camp here. A little way up the thread I complained that we didn’t get the full colour reproduction of the watercolour opening page of The Fable of Venice. Well we get the colour here and it’s beautifully reproduced, but it feels like padding on a very short story. It’s a good story - Rasputin in particular is wonderful - but it doesn’t seem good value for money on a premium book such as this.

Said watercolour page is in House of Samarkand, but I feel you. At the time I felt both Venice and Tango should'v had a lower price than the rest of them, and I think the same holds true for Early years... But I've gotten used to it, especially now with only two books to go.

Any ideas why the watercolour page was used instead of a b&w one?

I also wonder if the six larger hardbacks are still on the cards.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
Well Early Years is possibly my favourite so far. Okay its short but he back matter, the colour bonus pages make it feel special. Though gosh that forward needs to be an Afterward. I shopped reading it when I realised it was going to tell me the whole bloody plot.

Then you get to the story and you realise it is special. Just brilliant. Superb. As Timothy says Rasputin is plain brilliant. But for me the parallels between Jack London and older Corto are just fantastic and he's the star of the show. Its an mini masterpiece.

The only downer is we don't get the longer story this set up. The few pages we get hint at how great this could have been. Still we must be grateful for what we have. Just a lovely package.

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
We only have two volumes left right? Ballad of the Salt Sea and Mu?! Damn, i'm absolutely getting caught up by Christmas! Fable of Venice appears to be a bit tough to find but will be worth hunting down...

Apestrife

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
We only have two volumes left right? Ballad of the Salt Sea and Mu?! Damn, i'm absolutely getting caught up by Christmas! Fable of Venice appears to be a bit tough to find but will be worth hunting down...

I cannot wait to read Ballad of the Salt Sea. Heard so much good about it. "Only" 5 months away now  :D