Main Menu

Dredd Cannon

Started by Skank, 01 June, 2015, 12:24:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skank

Hey, so im tryin to figure out what series are cannon to Dredd, as in take place in the same universe.

It seems more or less confirmed that Strontium Dog is a part of the same continuity as Dredd what with there being four or five crossovers. Although with little to no mention of the past or remnants of the Judges seen in Strontium Dog it could suggest otherwise.

Similarly Flesh! is tied into Dredd cannon through Satanus, but no mention (to my knowledge) of trans-time or anything other than Old One Eye has ever made it into Dredd and vice versa with Flesh!.

I think Nemesis/ABC is intended as an alternate universe and the Satanus moments can probably be explained away via a mix between the time wastes and Thoth's magic.

Finally there's Rouge Trooper, now other than the one crossover i dont think there was ever any implication they were set in the same universe other than the semi recent Warzone which featured a G:I as one of the Mandroids Dredd was working with.

Its all a bit confusing and sorry if im goin on a bit but im just wandering if any proper explanations have ever been given or anything.

Colin YNWA

I know this isn't the answer you may be looking for, but don't examine it too closely as it doesn't really matter. Takes the bits that fit together comfortably for you, or that you find fit into place and ignore the rest.

After all that's what John Wagner seems to do, so its a well tried policy.

hippynumber1

Yea, all this talk of 'canon' upsets people! They're just stories, enjoy them!  ;)

Bat King

Strontium Dog can visit other Dimensions. That explains those crossovers with no problem what so ever to either continuity. Because the continuities do not match. I have never considered these two to be in the same world. No Time Travel in either shows any glimpse of anything that matches.

Dredd & Flesh... I assume the dinosaurs mentioned lived in both but again no time travel in either has ever cross referenced. So that is likely a case of parallel universe and the dinos just happen to exist in both. Just as parallel universes sometimes have a Judge Dredd in them and sometimes don't.

ABC Warriors doesn't share a time-line, no Volgan War in Judge Dredd's continuity. So again, any similarities must be due to parallel universes having some similarities. So similarly no direct link to Invasion, Disaster 1990, Ro-Busters or Savage. Though all of those are part of Milliverse with ABC Warriors & Nemesis.

Rogue Trooper. That's slightly harder to be certain from what is in print. There hasn't been any time travel in Dredd to that far ahead. Time travel isn't part of Rogue Trooper. So it could be a parallel but the Southers didn't seem surprised by what they found. I'd go with Rogue Trooper is a possible future for Dredd but that some form of Dredd is the past for Rogue Trooper.

But as Colin_YNWA said. Believe the bits you want are where you want them to be until Tharg or John Wagner say different - and don't expect much help from John Wagner on this subject beyond 'if I didn't write it it didn't happen'

And hippynumber1 is right... more right than my answer.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

GordonR

CANON, nor cannon.  Two completely different words.

The only Dredd cannon is either a big Justice Department gun or the director of the 1995 Stallone film.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GordonR on 01 June, 2015, 09:21:45 AM
The only Dredd cannon is either a big Justice Department gun or the director of the 1995 Stallone film.

A couple of the big guns from the Stallone movie later appeared in the comic. Are you saying we can't consider Danny Cannon's cannons canon?

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

The only other strips you need concern yourself with being in Dredd canon are those expressely stated as being so. Even then, take them with a pinch of salt, as most of the 90's spin-off's can now be discredited (well, The Inspecter at least. Tempted to say Janus PSI as well).

Fungus

'Expressly stated'? Eh? Canon is a horrible word, it only seems to arise in ultimately pointless debates?

Aside.... just reached prog 900 in my read-not-reread. That Rogue/Dredd time-travel bunkum is another case of mainly concentrating on the art, not worrying about the story too much. Wagner's stated dislike for time-travel also made it quite a curious one. And was it originally in normal-length episodes? The letterer changes suggest maybe. I also am sure that in a few progs time the Nerve Centre will be full of praise for it, people love a crossover...

Hawkmumbler

Heeerm. Maybe 'Expressly stated' is indeed overdoing it. After all, for the longest time we had to assume Insurection was somehow in canon but then it got a name drop in Titan.

Skullmo

'Wagner's stated dislike for time-travel' something that he has used in the last 2 dredd stories, so he cannot hate it that much. I enjoyed the Rogue story.

As regards cannon - it is generally accepted that all the really god stories are cannon and all the ones that are not so good are not

It's a joke. I was joking.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Skank on 01 June, 2015, 12:24:25 AM
Hey, so im tryin to figure out what series are cannon to Dredd, as in take place in the same universe.

Technically you mean what's part of Dredd continuity, rather than what's canon.[/unhelpful pedant]

Substitue the word 'time' for 'dimension' and suddenly there's no reason the Nemesis/Rogue/Stronty crossovers couldn't have happened just as they did, without the need for twisting ourselves into knots trying to make the various timelines and continuities fit together.

Al Ewing wrote a cracking Dredd tale in Megazine 283 about the Stront crossovers. Brit-Cit have got wind that since the Judgement Day debacle of 2114, Mega-City One has been in posession of secret intel, gleaned from a certain time traveller, about an imminent atomic war in 2150 that's going to wipe out 70% of the British population - and a Brit-cit agent is trying to smuggle the info out of the city.... Basically, the Strontverse was neatly rationalised as one possible future for the Dreddverse.
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

It's all stuff a man made up. 2000ad doesn't go in for Crisis On Infinite Cursed Earths type tidying up exercises, so I always assume its all supposed to have happened unless a writer goes out of their way to say otherwise. Have fun sorting it out for yourself.

Skank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 June, 2015, 11:26:17 AM
Quote from: Skank on 01 June, 2015, 12:24:25 AM

Technically you mean what's part of Dredd continuity, rather than what's canon.[/unhelpful pedant]

Substitue the word 'time' for 'dimension' and suddenly there's no reason the Nemesis/Rogue/Stronty crossovers couldn't have happened just as they did, without the need for twisting ourselves into knots trying to make the various timelines and continuities fit together.

Al Ewing wrote a cracking Dredd tale in Megazine 283 about the Stront crossovers. Brit-Cit have got wind that since the Judgement Day debacle of 2114, Mega-City One has been in posession of secret intel, gleaned from a certain time traveller, about an imminent atomic war in 2150 that's going to wipe out 70% of the British population - and a Brit-cit agent is trying to smuggle the info out of the city.... Basically, the Strontverse was neatly rationalised as one possible future for the Dreddverse.

yeah that would make sense. I had completely forgotten about the Alpha File as well.

glassstanley

Quote from: Bat King on 01 June, 2015, 09:15:50 AM

ABC Warriors doesn't share a time-line, no Volgan War in Judge Dredd's continuity. So again, any similarities must be due to parallel universes having some similarities. So similarly no direct link to Invasion, Disaster 1990, Ro-Busters or Savage. Though all of those are part of Milliverse with ABC Warriors & Nemesis.

Way back in the early days there was an attempt to tie the Dredd stories in with the ABC Warriors and later with Nemesis. In a late episode of Hammerstein's War Memoirs, there is talk of the building of the Mega-Cities. The 1981 Judge Dredd Annual also features a Trans-Time brochure about Mega-City One.

Satanus (Dredd) is the son of Old-One Eye (Flesh Book 1). This is referenced explicitly in the Cursed Earth. Golgotha (ABC Warriors) is a descendant of Satins. In the Prog this was explained in a full page Flesh-File prior to the first episode of the Golgotha story, although this has never been included in reprints. Thoth (Nemesis) took Satins as his pet and once fed him a Mega-City Judge (we see this happen).

However, in recent years there has been a de-linking of the storylines. The timeline in Savage doesn't match the one in Origins for example.

As everyone else has said, just read and enjoy!

Fungus

Quote from: Butch on 01 June, 2015, 12:23:54 PM
I always assume its all supposed to have happened unless a writer goes out of their way to say otherwise

You could always assume anything you read hasn't happened. I am fairly sure future cops haven't happened.