Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread  (Read 83790 times)

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
Re: The completely self absorbed 2000ad re-read thread
« Reply #720 on: 10 March, 2019, 09:57:14 pm »
Prog 1100 - Lord of the Beasts

So for me this just doesn't deserve the attention it gains and is a waste of a Prog. I suspect some will disagree and at least as ever with the Prog the diversity of opinion will remain!

No argument from me — ISTR there was a lot to like about the art, and if this had been a four-partner running as normal, I’d probably be a lot better disposed towards it, but as it is, I’m not 100% sure I actually read this to the end…
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: 12 March, 2019, 07:51:56 am »
It came before we got to know it.

Well after a warm up Prog in 1101 with two double sized stories to set the scene - good ones I should note in Wagner + Ezquerra Dredd and Morrison and Fraser on Dante - we get a near perfect line-up in 1102 and 1103.

Get these strips:

Wagner and Ezquerra - Judge Dredd
Mazeworld - Grant and Ranson
Nikolai Dante - Morrison and Fraser
Sinister Dexter - Dabnett and Johnson and then Wigmore
Anderson - Grant and Hairsaine

Man that's strong and just goes to demonstrate while there is a bunch of misfires in this era, there is also a bunch of absolute gems. Okay so Alan Craddock's colouring messes up Hairsaine's art, but really that's a small beef...

... the bigger beef is that Anderson is only a teasing two-parter and next Prog we get Slaine back... though I seem to recall it has a mini return to form with the 'Lost Tales' or whatever they were called... lets see but we are definately at strong times if that's my biggest beef.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: 13 March, 2019, 10:13:54 pm »
Hey take it back - so okay this isn't the best Slaine its better than its been for a while and sure Paul Staples art isn't great but its servicable.

Wrap that up with the line-up mention below being blinding.

A great four part Sinister Dexter as Ramone thinks he might be a serial killer, but are his eyes decieving him ... a story that starts to develop Rocky and Tracey and their relationship with Finny and Ray. Julian Gibson's wonky inconsistent art aside its a blinder.

Add to that some of the finest Dredd in a sequel - of sorts - to The Pit, with the introduction of a gloriously messy Roffman, the fall of DeMarco and 'Beyond the Call of Duty' is just fantastic.

ADD TO THAT - one of the very best pre Tsar Wars Dantes with the heartrending and action packed Great Game, when the strip in some ways amazes by finding another gear to shift up...

ANNNNNDDDD... Mazeworld Book 2 being better than the first...

Wow Tharg that's some Thrillpower you have on the go for the middle of 1998. I don't remember the Prog sustaining this level for an extended period for some time to come BUT man these are high highs we've returned to and the lows are settled by the holy triumvant and 1998 is turning into the best for some time... still lets watch how the second half handles that mantal...

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: 18 March, 2019, 09:26:25 pm »
All the Legs Eleven or four Kelly's Eyes - which a few hundred progs ago would have been more appropriate....

Annnywayyyy another in the now regular relaunch Progs. I think in the last couple of years we have pretty much set up the regularity for relaunch Progs that still last today and I've only just realised....

Annnnnnyyyyywayyyy 48 pages and only 4 stories and none of them a newbie, that's not a good return .... not that its a bad Prog. The Slaine isn't great and the Durham Red is fairly mundane BUT the Sinister Dexter is really strong and foreshadows Eurocrash which I think is coming up pretty soon....

Annnyyyyyywayyyy none of that us what I've here for, what I'm here for is to praise the Dredd - The Mega City Way of Death, its a beaut. As it weaves the tail of two star-crossed lovers, a rich socialite and a sky surfer and the cruels ways life in the Big Meg beast them down.

In some ways its similar to the Dredd in this week's (as I type - Prog 2123) Dredd which I'm not a fan of. In that its exposition heavy and plays on a tough and tradegic relationship to pull at the heart strings. The key difference is that Wagner and Staples here, admittedly with  4 extra pages, balance the exposition with some sharp, smart character work that just draws you in and means you care, so much, about what's happening in the exposition parts of the story. Its just a masterclass. As with this weeks story Dredd is a bit part, but because of that Wagner doesn't use him to drive the story, just to anchor as he moves through it. He's unnecessary here to, but Wagner uses that to his advantage.

Sorry I don't say this to beat down in this weeks story, rather to elevate the forgotten (by me) gem.