Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Forthcoming Thrills - 2020  (Read 2762 times)

The Amstor Computer

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
Re: Forthcoming Thrills - 2020
« Reply #45 on: 19 September, 2019, 12:19:50 am »
Page count, creator credits etc. suggest this will cover TWW up to the end of Carlos's run on the strip (Crisis #21). Not sure whether they will include the Hicklenton/Fegredo/McCarthy episodes as they're not listed on the cover, but I can't see any reason why not and I think the page count would back up seeing all of them included.

Another two or three books would see the whole of TWW collected, but I think there may be a few factors working against that:

-- Much as I enjoy the later stories, I think it's fair to say that the earlier sections of TWW are the strongest as a collection. The later tales are interesting, but less focused.

-- Pat Mills and Carlos Ezquerra are big names in British comics, and a mainly Mills/Ezquerra collection is an easier sell than a Mills + artist of the fortnight/month billing as TWW became later on. Hicklenton is an idiosyncratic genius, and I adore his work on TWW, but he's not an artist who has the same draw to a wider audience that Ezquerra does (leaving aside the question of whether part of the Treasury remit should be to educate and promote artists like Hicklenton, of course) and other artists like Sean Phillips or Duncan Fegredo may be bigger names now, but they contributed just a few episodes each and their best work was ahead of them at this point.

-- In terms of repro/presentation, being able to use scans of the original TWW artwork from the Ezquerra family archives is a huge plus for doing the artwork justice, as well as another selling point that you wouldn't have with later collections.

I'm sure that if TWW sells well, future volumes will be forthcoming - hell, I'd be surprised if Turbo Jones was a massive seller and that didn't stop Loner getting a collection - but for now I'm just chuffed to see this reprinted. 

MumboJimbo

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 September, 2019, 12:29:58 am »
Page count, creator credits etc. suggest this will cover TWW up to the end of Carlos's run on the strip (Crisis #21). 

I don’t think that’s right. Book 1 ran from issue 1 to issue 14. Throughout that run Crisis was 32 pages long with 2 stories of 14 pages each. 14x14=196, which is 12 pages less than advertised page count of 208. If you allow for cover reprints, intro, title page etc. it’s looking very likely it’s just Book 1.

The Amstor Computer

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 September, 2019, 09:34:08 am »
Page count, creator credits etc. suggest this will cover TWW up to the end of Carlos's run on the strip (Crisis #21). 

I don’t think that’s right. Book 1 ran from issue 1 to issue 14. Throughout that run Crisis was 32 pages long with 2 stories of 14 pages each. 14x14=196, which is 12 pages less than advertised page count of 208. If you allow for cover reprints, intro, title page etc. it’s looking very likely it’s just Book 1.

Actually, yeah - you're entirely right. I'd forgotten how long the individual episodes of TWW were in the earlier issues of Crisis (I was remembering them as closer to 8-10 pages for some reason). With the extra front/back matter in a collection, I think you're bang on.

It also makes the collection more of a cohesive whole - IIRC it would be all Carlos bar two mid-point fill-in episodes from D'Israeli and Angie Kincaid, plus a McCarthy section in one episode, and wrapping cleanly with Book 1.

Cheers!

sheridan

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #48 on: 19 September, 2019, 12:42:33 pm »
Oh well. I don’t blame them at all, they’re a business and this is the first Crisis reprint (I think) so I guess it will be hard to predict sales.

All we can do it is buy the first one and hope for the best!

There have been reprints of other stories from Crisis, but I think this is the first time 3WW has been.

sheridan

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #49 on: 19 September, 2019, 12:49:18 pm »
-- Pat Mills and Carlos Ezquerra are big names in British comics, and a mainly Mills/Ezquerra collection is an easier sell than a Mills + artist of the fortnight/month billing as TWW became later on. Hicklenton is an idiosyncratic genius, and I adore his work on TWW, but he's not an artist who has the same draw to a wider audience that Ezquerra does (leaving aside the question of whether part of the Treasury remit should be to educate and promote artists like Hicklenton, of course) and other artists like Sean Phillips or Duncan Fegredo may be bigger names now, but they contributed just a few episodes each and their best work was ahead of them at this point.

Amongst us Carlos is definitely the biggest name.  Internationally I'd suspect he's on a par with Sean and Duncan.  Outside of comics I think John may have a claim to the biggest name, due to winning two Grierson Awards for the Here's Johnny documentary and his final work, 100 Months.