Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: Link Prime on 13 January, 2017, 02:55:40 PM
And they're gone.
Apart from the usual useless tat included in special editions, this also had a handy Zelda themed protective cover for the portable game screen.

Have to correct this- as I've just been informed, the European special edition will only feature a Master Sword statue and CD with the game. So basically, yer usual tat.

Thinking about cancelling that pre-order now...

radiator

Got to admit, my heart sank a bit watching the 'reveal'.

I can't believe that Nintendo are once again turning up with a brand new console with so little content to show for it. Neither Arms nor Splatoon appeal to me at all, and seem like niche titles, 1-2 Switch frankly looks embarrassing, and while Mario Odyssey looks tremendous, it's not out for at least a year.... Zelda obviously looks great, but it's one game.

What else is there? A bunch of arcane JRPGs? Wow, that's really going to draw the kids of today away from their iPads and Minecraft...

I want Nintendo to do the unexpected, but now more than ever it just seems like they're increasingly out of touch.

I was all ready to place a pre-order, but unless they have something cool up their sleeve (like the aforementioned revamped Virtual Console), there's no chance of that now. Seems more likely now that I'll wait for the inevitable redesigned iteration when there are more titles available, as I did for DS and 3DS.

On the price, £280 is indeed a lot, but how much of that is due to Brexit? The US price of $300 (<£250) seems pretty reasonable.

Battery life, again, seems about what could realistically be expected, and isn't a deal-breaker. I doubt my 3DS could last for 4-6 hours of continuous play, and in theory there's nothing to stop people from using a portable battery backup.

QuoteAlways find it strange how partisan people get about Nintendo compared to normal games companies when they've always been the shittest (except the Gamecube (and Tetris on the Gameboy.))

Always find it strange how people who profess to like videogames don't at least acknowledge how consistently superior Nintendo products have generally been historically in terms of design, control, presentation, innovation etc. Testament to this is the fact that Nintendo titles age so well that they can still rerelease and sell 20-30 year old games at a premium whereas most developer's games date horribly within a few years.

Apestrife

I'm thinking their focus in on Zelda. A bit like they did last E3.

Seen more than a couple of games getting mentioned on their youtube channel and such that weren't shown in their release show (which was gloriously bisarr at times).

Hope they'll drop some major reveals this E3 instead.

Regardless. I'm quite sure I'll wait till I buy one. Don't think it'll be easy to get in stores. Won't mind playing Zelda on my WiiU either.

JamesC

It'll have been out for 3 months by the time E3 comes around!
If Nintendo want people to buy the hardware they need to make sure it has a decent line-up of software.
At the moment it looks pretty bad. Mario Kart 8 is just a revamp and if you want to play it online you have to pay extra. I've been playing that game online for free for the last 2 years!
Splatoon looks fun but that niche has been filled by Overwatch. If Splatoon was going to have any hope of competing it should have been a pack in game with 3 months free online (and they could've packed in MK8 too, considering it's just an update).
I really can't believe they haven't turned around a Mario or Pokemon game for launch.

JamesC

I've just realised that MK8 and Splatoon aren't even launch titles!
MK8 is April and Splatoon is 'summer'.
What the hell is the point of launching the bloody thing if you can't even get an update of an existing game in the shops at launch?
I've no doubt that there'll be a decent, quirky library available in a year or two but this launch is a complete balls up.

Link Prime

So anyone else actually pre-order one?

Tiplodocus

They had me with the Zelda and Mario trailers.

Far from perfect offering but enough titles coming up to make me want one and to satisfy my meagre allotment of time for gaming.

But I can't help thinking they've innovated yet blown it. Again.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

This launch lineup is a bit of a pity, because I really love the idea of the hardware, and having skipped the WiiU and with both kids 3DS junkies this is probably the first bit of kit in ages that really suits.

Apestrife

Quote from: JamesC on 13 January, 2017, 06:54:06 PM
It'll have been out for 3 months by the time E3 comes around!

I'm willing to bet it's on E3 they'll give it all, and focusing the release on Zelda.

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 13 January, 2017, 05:29:16 PM
QuoteAlways find it strange how partisan people get about Nintendo compared to normal games companies when they've always been the shittest (except the Gamecube (and Tetris on the Gameboy.))
Always find it strange how people who profess to like videogames don't at least acknowledge how consistently superior Nintendo products have generally been historically in terms of design, control, presentation, innovation etc. Testament to this is the fact that Nintendo titles age so well that they can still rerelease and sell 20-30 year old games at a premium whereas most developer's games date horribly within a few years.
Yeah, this is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about. Fair play to them for continuing to try and do something different but this dreary, games magazine orthodoxy about Nintendo being so continually great at design is a load of nonsense. For your "titles [which] age so well that they can still rerelease..." I just see an over-reliance on punting marginal upgrades to the same half-dozen franchises which I, personally, don't like.

I'll happily agree that Mario Kart is an all time classic.
We never really die.

Sandman1

I'm really only interested in Zelda at the moment, so I might as well get a Wii U instead. I hope Retro Studios announces something spectacular at E3.
Error...

Satanist

This is Nintendo consolidating its handheld/home console market into a singular empty schedule. FFS!

A mainline Zelda isn't really designed as portable so I might get it for Wii-u though I grew tired of the same Zelda formula with Twilight Princess.

The fact that 1-2 Switch isn't packed in with the console shows how lacking the launch line up is. If they think folk are gonna pay full price for that they are deluded.

ARMS looks fun but I played Rise of Nightmares on Kinect and it was fucking knackering.

I already have MK8 and will not buy again unless there are a good few more tracks (which doesn't look likely)

Skyrim doesn't even have an actual release date and that's about 5 years old, I already have it on 360 & PS4.

The most fitting game name goes to something called Has-Been-Heroes, I have no idea what it is but well played to whoever came up with that.

Oh and Im going to pay how much to play what exactly online? and they're gonna lend me a nes/snes game each month and then whisk it away, get tae fuck! Just like the Dreamcast I may just wait till its dead and pick one up and all its greatest hits for a song.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

JamesC

Quote from: Satanist on 18 January, 2017, 06:04:32 PM
This is Nintendo consolidating its handheld/home console market into a singular empty schedule. FFS!

A mainline Zelda isn't really designed as portable so I might get it for Wii-u though I grew tired of the same Zelda formula with Twilight Princess.

The fact that 1-2 Switch isn't packed in with the console shows how lacking the launch line up is. If they think folk are gonna pay full price for that they are deluded.

ARMS looks fun but I played Rise of Nightmares on Kinect and it was fucking knackering.

I already have MK8 and will not buy again unless there are a good few more tracks (which doesn't look likely)

Skyrim doesn't even have an actual release date and that's about 5 years old, I already have it on 360 & PS4.

The most fitting game name goes to something called Has-Been-Heroes, I have no idea what it is but well played to whoever came up with that.

Oh and Im going to pay how much to play what exactly online? and they're gonna lend me a nes/snes game each month and then whisk it away, get tae fuck! Just like the Dreamcast I may just wait till its dead and pick one up and all its greatest hits for a song.

This is pretty much how I feel about it.

I've no doubt Zelda will be a decent game and it's certainly supposed to be 'epic' with a massive game world. Funnily enough though, the best Zelda for ages was Link Between Worlds, which had one of the smallest worlds of any Zelda game (and was all the more focused and playable because of it).

I've no doubt that Mario Odyssey will be great but that's not out until Xmas anyway.

The Mario Kart situation is an absolute travesty. I have two main problems with it. the first is that it's just an update of a 3 year old game and they expect £60 for it!
The second is they can't even get it out ready for launch!

The other games I'm interested in  - Bomberman, Street Fighter, the Warriors game are all just updates of older games and imho aren't worth the full retail price.

radiator

Yeah. I wasn't expecting much for launch day - or even launch 'window', but I was expecting them to reassure us that they have a tonne of big first/second party exclusives (or even ports/remakes) in the pipeline, and show us a sizzle reel of upcoming titles, even if they're in an early form... and they really don't seem to have much to show for the first 12-18 months of the console's life beyond Zelda, Mario, Arms and Splatoon....

Radbacker

Please just show me a new Metroid Game, 3D Prime universe or 2D Fusion universe (not Other M crap tough please I like my Samus to do what she wants not what shes told).
I'm gonna hold off on this atleast until Mario, first time with I've done that with a Nintendo Console since the SNES  :'(

CU Radbacker