Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another 2000AD read thread  (Read 9321 times)

AlexF

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
Re: Another 2000AD read thread
« Reply #90 on: 22 June, 2018, 02:21:49 pm »
Crusade does read better in the collected Anderson Psi Files, when there's a clearer link to both Engram, which introduced the Psi-Baby, and indeed Helios (or was it Triad?) that introduced the twin girls who take centre stage in Crusade. But it's nowhere near the best of Anderson's stories.

I remember readers at the time complaining (and rightly so!) that it was crazy that no Dredd stories at this time mentioned the fact that all the children in MC1 were being kidnapped (see also Judge Hershey: Harlequin's Dance, which had the same plot hook some years earlier in the Megazine). If there'd been even a single Dredd story about this this it might've lifted the whole sorry saga.

You can't even really blame the art - the same problem hampered Anderson: Satan, which was painted with dependably stunning results by Arthur Ranson, but at no ppint in the Judge Dredd strip did anyone mention that the city was under attack by the actual Satan (as opposed to the Devil, who was presumably snug in his iso cube in Block 666)

But also you can blame the art, and I'm someone who kinda likes Steve Sampson!

feathers

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 02 August, 2018, 10:55:48 am »
]No, Hope was introduced in the Anderson story Engram in 2000AD. Crusade is indeed a spectacularly terrible story though.
Crusade does read better in the collected Anderson Psi Files, when there's a clearer link to both Engram, which introduced the Psi-Baby, and indeed Helios (or was it Triad?) that introduced the twin girls who take centre stage in Crusade. But it's nowhere near the best of Anderson's stories.

Thanks both - I looked into this and saw Engram was the 2 part story separated by 40 weeks or so, so I'm not surprised it didn't leave a big impression.  I was tempted to look up the numbers, go back and reread it, but then...I didn't.  The whole return run of Anderson sadly seemed to be missing something (I think the fantasticly memorable bodybag cover was probably the highlight).

2000ad went through a long time of trying to be the lastest cool. Before it relaxed and realised it didn't matter if it was cool as long as it was good. And of course by doing so became cool again.

You're completely right there Colin - and I think it's happened over the last stretch as things are in very fine form where I am now at...

Prog 1122.  Dredd, Sinister Dexter, Pulp Sci Fi and Sancho Panzer might represent the strongest line up the Prog has had in ages.  Missionary Man I can't get into, and for me is less successful than Red Razors as a transfer from the Meg (Al's Baby having been the most seamless, and only fully successful import).  It feels like the various factions and stakes have never been established, and I can't wait for it to end.  Still, 3 strong strips, an anthology, and 1 weak one feels like classic 2000AD.

While the experiment in extended page counts worked (particularly) for Sinister Dexter, I missed the variety while it was happening.  And giving a whole prog over to a single Dredd or Slaine story is just a no - not enough density, less thrills per page, and less than half the time to read.  So the current set up is giving a lovely warm glow of rightness that's almost nostalgic.

Something else making me smile is that I haven't had to read Rogue Trooper for a very long time now.

It's been on my mind because 'future war' Sancho Panzer felt in concept like it shouldn't work, but it's just so light and enjoyable that it does.  John Wagner back on Dredd is conquering all imitators with his casual picking up of didn't-realise-they-were-coming-back-to-that plot points and real sense of progression and development.  It's a delight to read.  Only a year to go until I find out what Tharg changes the name to on new year's eve 1999 (thankfully they seem to have stopped printing the letters now.  Dear God.)

feathers

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 06 September, 2018, 04:12:21 pm »
Prog 1160 - For what feels like years now Tharg's opening comments have described 2000 AD as 'a weekly fusion of sci fi and fantasy'.  For a long time this might as well have said 'sci fi and Slaine'.  Then they stopped running Slaine.  So it's been an unexpected pleasure to have the pendulum swing back the other way and remember how good fantasy thrills can be thanks to Devlin Waugh and Mazeworld.  Mazeworld has always been a great showcase for Arthur Ranson's work, and while the conclusion didn't have anything revelatory in it, it was no disgrace either, and the journey was well worth taking.  I'd begun to think that I wasn't a god fit with John Smith after his last Tyranny Rex outing, but Devlin Waugh takes the best elements of his inventive mythology building and sticks it around a protagonist who seems to have a touch of Zenith's semi-pompous egotism and relatable jadedness.  It's a good mix, and a nice slow pace is allowing a very distinct atmosphere to suffuse the strip, drawing it more into it's own with each instalment.

Downlode Tales has been giving a nice shake up to Sinister Dexter, and exploiting the depth of their milieu in the same way as the post Apocalypse War Dredd strips did - very nice.  Speaking of which, Dredd's encounter with Orlok was fun and nostalgic without being a cheap cash in on former glories.  It's a shame that Rose O'Rion's full length outing didn't give her a more recognisable situation to work in, or more characters to work with, and the second series of Mercy Heights fell completely flat for me.  The original was an intricate space opera of competing motivations following a raft of interacting characters - so why did the sequel throw that out to focus so heavily on the desires of a bland megalomaniac?  Was it the suggestion of a connection between Tor Cyan and Rogue Trooper (Ambassador, with this suggestion you are boring me) that drew him in from the periphery to a dull centre stage?  Anyway - pfft.  I'm not even sure it was better than Balls Brothers, whose name was half right.