Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrillpower Overload: the missing chapters  (Read 27677 times)

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
Re: Thrillpower Overload: the missing chapters
« Reply #165 on: 23 June, 2019, 03:32:17 pm »
All of that historical data begs the question: what number the current readership?

The most recent (self) reported figure was 15,000 in August 2013. Tharg's since let it be known that although retail sales are down subscription numbers increased to compensate for this, but didn't offer figures on either.

Rebellion Publishing has reported net-losses in recent years.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #166 on: 23 June, 2019, 03:40:30 pm »

Almost certainly owing to heavy investment purchasing things like the IPC/Fleetway back catalogue, as has been mentioned before. You can’t infer any direct information about sales revenue from this.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 23 June, 2019, 03:47:12 pm »

Almost certainly owing to heavy investment purchasing things like the IPC/Fleetway back catalogue, as has been mentioned before. You can’t infer any direct information about sales revenue from this.

Yeah, I'm not trying to make any kind of point, just share the information. It would help if I'd supplied the correct link:

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/company/06993175-rebellion-publishing-limited

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 23 June, 2019, 04:07:58 pm »
Thanks for the links, Frank - that Grauniad film I hadn't seen before, and was well good.  (It also had a couple of older articles linked below it, for Judge Dredd gets first female writer and Is Judge Dredd gay?*)

Thanks for the additional context, Jim.

*Which follows Betteridge's law.
fate amenable to change

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 06 July, 2019, 09:04:32 pm »

Only tangentially related to 2000ad, but then so was Toxic and that got a couple of pages all to itself in TPO.

Pat Mills & Kev O'Neill own all rights to Marshal Law ... except the publishing rights* (including the right to produce new material). Comics are a funny old game.

* Which reside with DC. Mills always says it's up to DC whether any more Marshal Law is ever produced, so I think he and O'Neill entered into something like the arrangement Edginton and D'Israeli struck with Tharg over Scarlet Traces to get the DC reprint of existing material into production, with the promise of new material - a Batman crossover - that, because of DC, never materialised.

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 12 July, 2019, 07:58:47 pm »

The year they revived the Eagle awards, in the Best Writer category, I won third place, second place, and first (laughs). John Wagner was third, TB Grover second, and John Howard came first!

John Wagner speaking to the 1977 group

Leigh S

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 12 July, 2019, 11:01:52 pm »
Bought Grant Morrison's "Super Gods" for 50p at the charity shop - will report back any interesting Zenith/2000AD snippets if I can make it that far!

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 12 July, 2019, 11:10:04 pm »

The year they revived the Eagle awards, in the Best Writer category, I won third place, second place, and first (laughs). John Wagner was third, TB Grover second, and John Howard came first!

I didn't think it too many.