Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Advice Please!  (Read 747 times)

NapalmKev

• Posting Machine
  • No Beans Man! Cheers!
    • View Profile
Advice Please!
« on: 23 January, 2017, 11:58:45 am »
I've worked for the same company for nearly 15 years. Recently I've been told that I have to produce either a birth certificate or passport (don't have!) for their files to prove I'm an English citizen!

They are adamant that I must provide documentation despite working for them since 2002!

Am I legally obliged to give them what they are asking for? Or should I just tell them to go fuck themselves!

Cheers

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
Re: Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2017, 12:13:44 pm »
Neither.  Politely explain that you shan't be spending your own unpaid free time chasing down and paying for expensive documentation for which you have no practical use, though I would suggest a compromise offer: if they want to pay you overtime to gather the verification necessary for a passport application and then pay the 100-odd quid to process it, you're willing to do them that favor.

NapalmKev

• Posting Machine
  • No Beans Man! Cheers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2017, 12:45:23 pm »
I've calmed down a bit now so I won't go down the "Fuck yourselves" route as was my intention.

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try!

Cheers

matty_ae

• Sentient Tea Bot
  • I don't know as much as you other fans.
    • View Profile
    • Reprint this Dan Dare
« Reply #3 on: 23 January, 2017, 03:33:03 pm »
I think its a reasonable request if you think of it from their point of view.

- There are now fines for employers who find themselves employing illegal immigrants.
- They may have found themselves vulnerable as they never originally asked for birth certificates on hiring
- Its less contentious to ask all members of staff to do this rather than only asking for hires from the last X years / people who don't 'appear' to be UK/EU citizens 

I would be highly suspicious of an employee who couldn't produce one of these documents or something based on them.

NapalmKev

• Posting Machine
  • No Beans Man! Cheers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January, 2017, 03:44:14 pm »
I think its a reasonable request if you think of it from their point of view.

If I had just started working for them I probably would've thought it reasonable. After working there for nearly 15 years I'm of the opinion (rightly or wrongly) that they are taking the piss!

Cheers

COMMANDO FORCES

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Being nice is my game!
    • View Profile
    • Cellar of Dredd
« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2017, 03:45:43 pm »
We had to all do it at our place and there were lots of arguments but everyone meekly handed theirs over like the sheep we were :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bolt-01

• Global Moderator
  • Bionic Fingers
  • It ain't called ZARJAZ fer nuthin'!
    • View Profile
    • FutureQuake Press
« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2017, 03:51:10 pm »
NapalmKev- I might be being stupid here, but doesn't the fact that you pay National insurance count as proof of nationality?

NapalmKev

• Posting Machine
  • No Beans Man! Cheers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2017, 04:06:46 pm »
NapalmKev- I might be being stupid here, but doesn't the fact that you pay National insurance count as proof of nationality?

I thought that would be the case but the company is insisting I provide proof of who I am.

I carry no forms of ID as I've never needed to. The only thing in wallet with my name on is a debit card.

If I'm not legally obligated to give them proof of my nationality then they can shove it.

Cheers

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2017, 04:59:27 pm »
I would be highly suspicious of an employee who couldn't produce one of these documents or something based on them.

People who work low-paying jobs may not be able to afford a car or holidays, hence no photographic ID like a licence or a passport.

Pyroxian

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2017, 05:04:09 pm »

People who work low-paying jobs may not be able to afford a car or holidays, hence no photographic ID like a licence or a passport.

Yes, but everyone should have a birth certificate, or be able to get a hold of one.

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2017, 05:24:54 pm »
No UK citizen is required to own a birth certificate, but Kev has already said they want proof of identity, and a birth certificate isn't that on its own, unless it comes with additional documents: usually several examples of addressed correspondence from government agencies to the individual in question and usually also photographs signed by a prominent community figure such as a doctor, lawyer, teacher, etc, who must also know the individual personally and may be contacted by the government to verify this - which is why not every doctor, lawyer, or teacher wants to be bothered signing photographs.

Proving your identity is not a little thing to ask of someone without photographic ID, it's a lot of time, effort and - crucially - money.  It's not unreasonable to expect those demanding this proof to pay for it.

The Enigmatic Dr X

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2017, 06:13:12 pm »
Why do they want it?
Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2017, 08:03:59 pm »
My birth certificate was lost while I was a child (possibly by the Passport office when my mum got me a child passport).  I had to get a replacement for it when I applied for an adult passport.  Cost less than £10 from the local registrar's office to where I was born.  If they don't require photo ID (and my passport is the only photo ID I possess) then it's much cheaper and hassle-free than getting a passport (I have no idea where NapalmKev was born - if outside the UK then *shrug*).

Pyroxian

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:05:53 am »
No UK citizen is required to own a birth certificate, but Kev has already said they want proof of identity, and a birth certificate isn't that on its own

Actually, NapalmKev specified that a birth certificate could be used in his first post.

I, Cosh

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 January, 2017, 10:35:27 am »
In fact, exactly the people who the introduction of ID checks at polling booths is deliberately intended to disenfranchise.
We never really die.