Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection  (Read 328783 times)

gurnard

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection
« Reply #3135 on: 22 May, 2019, 01:04:45 pm »
I just started issue 38 Aquila. I never read this in the original issues but was always a fan on Black Hawk in the Tornado years so thought it would be my thing, which it is.

In the intro bumpf at the beginning it suggests that the story has not been completed to this day.

Is this correct?  Is it a series that is likely to be cropping up again in the pages of 2thou? Or is it something that faded away?

sheridan

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #3136 on: 22 May, 2019, 01:48:10 pm »
I just started issue 38 Aquila. I never read this in the original issues but was always a fan on Black Hawk in the Tornado years so thought it would be my thing, which it is.

In the intro bumpf at the beginning it suggests that the story has not been completed to this day.

Is this correct?  Is it a series that is likely to be cropping up again in the pages of 2thou? Or is it something that faded away?

The end where they disappear into a black hole?  Nope, nothing else after that.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: 23 May, 2019, 08:42:38 am »
While I long ago ceased to be able to buy these on a regular basis, I do have a hankering for the new Stickleback one. Can anyone please tell me what it contains? Is it the whole thing? ( assuming the Moriarty reveal is the actual end, and that if the strip returns to 2000AD it will be in a whole new format, probably under a new title.)
I currently have only the first Rebellion trade on the shelf  (and all the progs in a box, obvs).
SBT

abelardsnazz

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: 23 May, 2019, 09:22:25 am »
The Stickleback volume contains:

Mother London
England's Glory
London's Burning
Twas The Night Before Christmas

Exactly 200 pages of strip, by my count.

Dark Jimbo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Grobbendonk spoke gibberish, a fringeworld dialect
    • View Profile
    • DarkJimbo on Deviantart
« Reply #3139 on: 23 May, 2019, 09:32:48 am »
I just started issue 38 Aquila... In the intro bumpf at the beginning it suggests that the story has not been completed to this day.

Aye, the Ultimate volume contains everything so far. Rennie has bad form for getting bored and not finishing his stories - but Caballistics recently got a conclusion after being AWOL for 11 years, so who knows? The last Aquila story was December 2016, so it's still not unlikely at this stage that it'll come back.

athorist

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: 23 May, 2019, 12:28:15 pm »
If there's not going to be an extension, then that's an incredibly unsatisfying way to end Sinister Dexter. I loved the book, I just want more.
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

Dark Jimbo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Grobbendonk spoke gibberish, a fringeworld dialect
    • View Profile
    • DarkJimbo on Deviantart
« Reply #3141 on: 23 May, 2019, 12:34:31 pm »
If there's not going to be an extension, then that's an incredibly unsatisfying way to end Sinister Dexter. I loved the book, I just want more.

There's a third book to come, you know...

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #3142 on: 23 May, 2019, 12:36:13 pm »
If there's not going to be an extension, then that's an incredibly unsatisfying way to end
Just stopping the sentence there, because, man, that’s going to be the case quite a lot here. It’ll be interesting to see how things go. Dredd went on for an extra ten books, but I’d be amazed if that wasn’t a higher seller than this run. But also, Dredd felt, frankly, like you could have easily enough removed 10–20 volumes from the main run and lost nothing. The 2000 AD set is, to my mind, rather meatier (despite the billions of Sláine books), and there’s just so much potential for more – including, I guess, more Dredd collections alongside continuations (SinDex/Kingdom/etc.) and new stuff (FIREKIND! C’MON!)

davidbishop

• 2000AD Creator
  • Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: Today at 06:22:22 am »
Much as I enjoy Firekind, calling new stuff is a slight stretch.

The final episode was published 26 years ago.

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: Today at 09:49:42 am »
New as in new to the collection. In this case, in the sense of a series, but also a writer. (Unless I’m mistaken, John Smith has largely been wiped from existence as far as TUC is concerned. While I realise there have been issues with Smith and 2000 AD, it would be a great shame to not have some of his greatest comics work collected in this collection, should the opportunity arise.)

karlos

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: Today at 12:16:02 pm »
In case you guys didn't know, Hachette are offering a discount: £10 off all orders of £50 or more.

Code: SAVE10

abelardsnazz

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: Today at 12:50:11 pm »
New as in new to the collection. In this case, in the sense of a series, but also a writer. (Unless I’m mistaken, John Smith has largely been wiped from existence as far as TUC is concerned. While I realise there have been issues with Smith and 2000 AD, it would be a great shame to not have some of his greatest comics work collected in this collection, should the opportunity arise.)

Hoping for Cinnabar and some Future-Shocks, at least. But yes, it does seem odd given that the Dredd collection represented Mr Smith very well.

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: Today at 01:48:28 pm »
Aligning Firekind with the release of Avatar 2 (Dec 2020) would have been fun.