Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection  (Read 508270 times)

Dark Jimbo

• Bionic Fingers
  • Grobbendonk spoke gibberish, a fringeworld dialect
    • View Profile
    • DarkJimbo on Deviantart
Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection
« Reply #4200 on: 28 June, 2020, 03:23:27 PM »
This is when the partwork model totally comes into its own -  I was probably never going to check out Brutania Chronicles, based on some of what I'd heard about how dissapointing it gets. 4 volumes, at £16.99 each, for something I might not enjoy? Nah. But just 2 volumes, for only £10 each? Okay, might as well.

Jade Falcon

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: 28 June, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »
I remember one of the women at WH Smith's saying the Dredd books were expensive.  I wonder if she had ever seen the price of some of the standard print run graphic novels from DC, Rebellion or Marvel at times.  You can easily pay a lot more for a softcover.

I know when it came to the Mass Effect and Dragon Age graphic novel series I waited for the big deluxe editions.  The last one I got, Dragon Age Volume 2 was £25 but that was for a deluxe edition HC, the equivalent in Mass Effect are going for silly money now due to limited print runs, but even standard graphic novel prices can be a bit over the top nowadays.

sintec

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: 29 June, 2020, 08:18:22 PM »
Holy Shit is Dante amazing. Just wow; that was some absolutely top quality comics. Glad I skipped A Farewell To Arms in the recent Sci-fi special, that was intense and I can't imagine that having the same impact out of context. What a really odd choice for the special too, I can understand why they wanted some Dante in there but surely there were some more suitable one-offs from earlier in the run?

Can't wait for the conclusion in 2 months time.

James Stacey

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Drokk! It's Souster!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: 30 June, 2020, 09:13:04 AM »
Dante only gets better and better

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #4204 on: 30 June, 2020, 10:09:44 AM »
Mm. I get A Farewell To Arms as an important moment, but it felt like the sole mis-step in that special: a massive spoiler for anyone who’d not yet read Dante, and an out-of-context single parter for those who had.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: 30 June, 2020, 10:51:25 AM »
I often wonder how Dante would be reflected upon if it'd been a series from Image or Vertigo or whatever. Assuming it survived - which you gotta wonder - I think it would now be lauded far and wide. Its so good and perfect comics meladrama.

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #4206 on: 30 June, 2020, 04:43:20 PM »
If it was Image, we’d have got those lovely deluxe HCs. I really wish there was a market for that kind of thing from Rebellion.

levers

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: Today at 12:35:17 PM »
No Dante book at Forbidden Planet yet. I have an online order set up for it and have been charged but showing as not in stock.