Main Menu

80's T-Shirt Identification Help required!

Started by Woolly, 21 March, 2017, 06:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Recently found this old, probably '83, photo of me looking both creepy and utterly lame...

...and is that a Marvel/MiracleMan T-Shirt I'm wearing?

Looked it up online, and I think it may be Young MarvelMan, but I'm just not sure.
It's puzzling me, as I had no idea the character even existed till fairly recently!

Either way, I'm glad I don't wear shorts any more...  :o

Frank

sheridan

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Woolly on 21 March, 2017, 06:30:20 PM
it may be Young MarvelMan, but I'm just not sure.
It's puzzling me, as I had no idea the character even existed till fairly recently!

Looks more like The Flash – if that's red head-gear.

Tony Angelino

I don't think its Young Marvelman. I just don't believe they would have had any merchandising with him on it at that time (if ever).

I don't think its the Flash either as I think it is hair on top and not a mask.

It looks more like Captain Comet (DC Comics) but again he would have been a very obscure character in 1983 and I cant see any company making t-shirts of him.

It could just be some generic illustration that someone has put on a T shirt and wasn't a 'real' comics character.

Link Prime

It has to be DC comics Orion.

Which of course begs the question- how did that lemon end up on a kids T-shirt in 1983?

Maybe merchandise from the 'Super Powers' toy line?
(Fondly remembered by some as awesome looking action figures commonly advertised on the back of DC comics in the '80s. Unavailable in Eire).

Woolly

Well, from the suggestions I'd like to say it's Captain Comet, but on reflection its probably some knock-off.
Shame really, I could have claimed to be an Alan Moore fan before he even wrote any MiracleMan...

Also, I promise to never post an image of my bare legs ever again...  :lol:

AlexF

The logo on the chest looks a little like the old CND sign - could this have been a T-Shirt made for a ban the bomb rally, which were pretty popular in the early 80s?

Until Captain Planet cornened the market in right-on heroes for children, of course.

sheridan

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 21 March, 2017, 08:29:02 PM
I don't think its Young Marvelman. I just don't believe they would have had any merchandising with him on it at that time (if ever).

Now that Young Marvel Miracleman is a Marvel character, I'm sure it's only a matter of time (missed opportunity to rename the series Marvelman, by the way).