Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES  (Read 35145 times)

broodblik

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
Re: PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THE NEW STAR TREK: DISCOVERY SERIES
« Reply #495 on: 02 March, 2019, 03:18:19 am »
The last episode was good. Spok was introduced and it feels the plot was moving forward.

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: 03 March, 2019, 09:07:18 am »
Yes, also enjoyed that. Much as I like Pike, I do wish we'd focus on the new cast and crew. We've seen it from Captain's POV lots of times. 

And I'm not sure about the whole bringing it back to where it (sort of) started but I'm giving writers and producers the benefit of the doubt.

Lots of orange and teal but, colour grading aside, this is also a very handsomely mounted Star Trek. Movie quality visuals I think (as opposed to most Trek shows which only tended to look like top end TV).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

wedgeski

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile

Dandontdare

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: 07 March, 2019, 06:22:03 pm »
That's what I meant when I said they were bringing it back to where it started. Sort of.

wedgeski

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: 08 March, 2019, 10:25:46 am »
That's what I meant when I said they were bringing it back to where it started. Sort of.
And now I feel like Trek newb for not remembering that. Thanks Tiplodocus. :D

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: 10 March, 2019, 06:53:55 pm »
And now I feel like Trek newb for not remembering that. Thanks Tiplodocus. :D

To be fair I first thought it was the planet with the Guardian (City On The Edge Of Forever) and googled to check.

wedgeski

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 11 March, 2019, 09:32:36 am »
*Excellent* episode. Spock and Burnham kind of sizzle, Pike does his thing, but more, and the actual plot moves on a bit as well.

The Legendary Shark

• Bionic Fingers
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
    • The Sharkpool Blog
« Reply #504 on: 11 March, 2019, 10:21:19 am »

I really, really hate not liking this. I thought that opening montage was utterly pointless and self-congratulatory, they might as well have had footage of the entire cast and crew engaged in a mass circle-jerk whilst singing about how clever they are.

If this series wasn't Star Trek I reckon I'd like it but it just feels to me like somebody's broken into my media collection and pissed all over my books and dvds.

I'm happy that so many people seem to like it and I cling on (ha!) to the hope that my feelings will change on a future re-watch but just at the moment watching it is an onerous duty and I thank Grud for The Orville.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #505 on: 11 March, 2019, 10:43:57 am »
I'm happy that so many people seem to like it and I cling on (ha!) to the hope that my feelings will change on a future re-watch but just at the moment watching it is an onerous duty and I thank Grud for The Orville.

Why are you watching it? That's not snark — life's just too short. I've abandoned three series mid-season in the last couple of months because I wasn't enjoying them. I have neither the hours spare in my life, nor the millimetres of mercury to spare on my blood pressure to repeatedly choose to do something I don't enjoy…
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

wedgeski

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: 11 March, 2019, 11:15:07 am »

I really, really hate not liking this. I thought that opening montage was utterly pointless and self-congratulatory, they might as well have had footage of the entire cast and crew engaged in a mass circle-jerk whilst singing about how clever they are.
If you don't like Discovery, I can see why efforts to situate it in the original timeline are going to piss you off.

I've wrestled with this kind of thing in the past, but managed to chart a course through it. I hated Alien 3 when it came out -- just *hated* it -- and for the longest time couldn't bring myself to watch Alien, my favourite film ever, or Aliens, which would be somewhere in the top 20. It helps that, since seeing the director's cut, I can actually live with it now.

Same when Enterprise arrived... actually, pretty much at the point the opening theme song started. I felt about Enterprise the way you seem to feel about Discovery. (Interestingly, I thought I'd give the pilot another try last month, and if anything it seems *worse* now that so much time has passed. It's terrible. Just anus-puckeringly awful.)

Point is, I hope time mellows you to Discovery.

The Legendary Shark

• Bionic Fingers
  • Tip: Sharks only attack you if you're wet.
    • View Profile
    • The Sharkpool Blog
« Reply #507 on: 11 March, 2019, 11:51:02 am »

I keep watching it because a) I want to be wrong and to suddenly "get it" and b) loyalty to ST (which is a poor excuse, I know).

My opinion on this, of course, matters not one whit and it's not my aim to turn people against it - I am honestly happy that others like it. My favourite Trek series of all is Enterprise, which I know many fans detest. Even the theme tune grew on me - though this did take some time. I don't want to be one of those people who dislikes a Trek series without watching it and I do expect that one or two episodes will come along that I will love, every series has its classics and I hope Discovery will as well. I thought the latest episode might have been one of those but it wasn't - at least not for me. So, maybe the next one.

Trek, to me, is all about optimism, and so am I, so I guess that's why I keep watching.

broodblik

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: 11 March, 2019, 01:33:50 pm »
The last few episodes really got going in a positive direction. As mentioned by wedgeski the plot is moving on now.

Robin Low

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: 11 March, 2019, 07:01:08 pm »
Any speculation about who the Red Angel actually is? It's got to be someone we're familiar with.

Just for a laugh, my two suggestions are either Archer (since he was involved with that whole temporal cold war shenanigans) or Trip (it turns out the final episode of Enterprise was rubbish was because the official story surrounding Trip's death was just a smokescreen for what really happened).

Yeah, bollocks, I know, but who cares.

Regards,

Robin