Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Alan Moore thinks you're a prick!  (Read 7993 times)

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
Re: Alan Moore thinks you're a prick!
« Reply #75 on: 31 January, 2015, 02:50:50 pm »
The workshop was discovered at a site in Angel Street, the location of Northamptonshire County Council's new £43m headquarters. The MOLA team also carried out an excavation on Northampton's Norman castle in 2013, ahead of the redevelopment of the town's railway station. "People say 'Isn't it dreadful that modern developments take place', but it develops our knowledge and gives us the opportunity to look at the story of what's happened to those plots of land before."

See, Alan; not all of Northampton council's redevelopment strategy is the work of Beelzebub. For all his formidable talent, intellect and alternative lifestyle, Moore is now no different to any semi-retired baby boomer - writing crank letters to the local paper about the council, telling them how to do their job, and moaning that everything was better in the old days.

sheridan

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #76 on: 31 January, 2015, 02:52:48 pm »
Re: Alan Moore thinks you're a prick! Er no he doesn't, well on this subject at least, but that's probably because I agree with his thoughts about the men in tights stuff, and the Talcy Malcy/fashion world stuff was interesting to hear.
[/quote
Same here - I steer well-clear of the superhero section in the comic shops I go to. The only ones I've read in depth are the likes of Watchmen (naturally), Zenith, Dark Knight Returns, Arkham Asylum and those that turned into Vertigo in 1990-something.  Who was it who called them "adolescent power fantasies"?  The only reason I could see for reading superhero comics is nostalgia from having originally read them when you were ten or so.  Erm, not meaning to be offensive or anything (sorry)

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 09 August, 2018, 08:55:48 pm »
See, Alan; not all of Northampton council's redevelopment strategy is the work of Beelzebub. For all his formidable talent, intellect and alternative lifestyle, Moore is now no different to any semi-retired baby boomer - writing crank letters to the local paper about the council, telling them how to do their job, and moaning that everything was better in the old days.

Moore must be feeling V For Vindicated right now:

For four years, Northamptonshire’s county council papered over the cracks of its deteriorating finances, blithely convinced the government would ultimately bail it out. Ministers refused to come to the rescue and now, amid political recriminations and public anger, the brutal correction starts.

From 2014 onwards, it failed to manage massive recurring overspends, which spiralled from £3m in 2014 to £32m in 2016-17. Over that period, at least £80m of planned savings never materialised and the council ignored internal warnings as early as 2015 that its finances were out of control.

The council balanced its books by draining its reserves. Back then, it had £57m in “rainy day” funds; now it has £12m. It used £40m in capital receipts from asset sales to fund day-to-day services. It misused £16m from the NHS earmarked for public health, spending it instead on social care.

What is clear from Thursday’s council meeting is that the era of sticking plasters and accounting dodges is over. Northamptonshire finds itself having to make harsh, abrupt cuts on a huge scale – £70m in the next nine months alone. It will shine an unforgiving light on the plight of local government.

Patrick Butler Social policy editor Thu 9 Aug 2018 15.26 BST