Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special 2018  (Read 3379 times)

DrJomster

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special 2018
« Reply #75 on: 03 July, 2018, 11:07:23 pm »
Late to the party on this one...

... but I really enjoyed it. Great to see so many non-regulars show their stuff, some of whom are pretty well known in their own right to say the least. Some nicely different sensibilitities to story and art too. Quite small pressy in places, but I like that style, so was really pleased to see it get such a showcase.

Here’s hoping some of them come back either in another special or as regular droids!

The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

AlexF

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special 2018
« Reply #76 on: 10 July, 2018, 02:59:43 pm »
Even later to the party! I had a good time with this Special, that felt very much like the last few years' worth of Specials - not quite as good as the Prog, but lots to like and an impressive variety of stories and art that just felt that little bit different to the norm, in a refreshing way.

I'm a lot less bothered than Frank by writers sticking to a formula, some characters and settings are kind of built for that kind of thing, no? Rogue Trooper in particular felt like one of the very best GF-D era one-offs, even if the art was not quite as good as that. And 'The Feels' was a triumph of capturing mid-80s Dredd along with thumbing a nose to the male-readership. Top marks! The Anderson story, less so, although I enjoyed the characterisation on that one a lot, and was delighted to see Psi Judge  Shakta back in action!

Unlike many here (but like a few!), I really enjoyed the tone of the Tyranny Rex strip, both writing and art. Yes, the story itself was very slight, but it really had that feel of early 90s hang-out comics, which I miss from the Prog (I'll make an exception for The Order, where the plot is so beyond my reading that it ends up feeling like a hang-out story).

My fave art was on the Judge Dredd and Judge Death strips (probably helps that they had the two most tried-and-tested writers, who are a proper safe pair of hands for Tharg by now). I don't think either artist would work on those strips in the Prog, but that's what I like about Specials, they can afford to be playful. But I'd love to see those artists doing something in the Prog on a comedy-based series, like Ace Trucking or RoboHunter or, better yet, something entirely new!

From the Podcast, I know some of the creators were deliberately trying to give readers what they might expect a girl to do, if only to show how silly this is. Overall it worked for me - a genuine breath of fresh air, with a nice side-helping of being poked with a stick.

Anyone complaining about the quality of this Special I think needs to compare it to other specials, not the Prog - it's waybetter than a lot of them over the years. I mean, when was the last time you cracked open one of the Judge Dredd Mega-Specials from the mid-90s...