Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Six Year Old Comic Fare  (Read 1188 times)

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
Six Year Old Comic Fare
« on: 21 July, 2018, 05:36:01 pm »
My daughter is six and we quite enjoy comics.  I was wondering if anyone has some age-appropriate comic recommendations?

So far, we've been enjoying Lumberjanes, Ms Marvel and the Oz graphic novels. 

Whilst those can have scary-ish monsters and cartoon violence, we are avoiding gore and existential threats.  Example: her gran was reading her the Harry Potter books and the Dementors were just a bit too spooky!
fate amenable to change

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
Re: Six Year Old Comic Fare
« Reply #1 on: 21 July, 2018, 06:50:30 pm »
Bone. The answer to this question is always Bone... unless its Asterix... or The Phoenix, my kids love our subscription to the Phoenix...

so the answer is always Bone... unless Asterix, or The Phoenix... or DC Superhero Girls... damnit...

... She also like the Otto Stump story when I read her that...

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July, 2018, 09:05:04 pm »
My daughter (8) is still a big Lumberjanes fan (who isn't?), and she recently enjoyed the Andy & Lucy Neanderthal books, from the super-productive Jeffrey Brown (as did I).  She also got a kick out of Moonstruck, from Lumberjane's Grace Ellis but it's pitched slightly older than its predecessor, and your kid's interest in lesbian werewolves and barista centaurs may vary.

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2018, 12:18:00 am »
Bone. The answer to this question is always Bone...

Just wanted to say thank you.  We got hold of Bone and have been enjoying it immensely.
fate amenable to change

sheridan

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2018, 07:45:33 pm »
I wasn't much older than six when I started reading 2000AD (eight, around progs 308 - 350)...

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2018, 08:26:19 pm »
I wasn't much older than six when I started reading 2000AD (eight, around progs 308 - 350)...

Yeah: I think some of the earlier stuff could fly, but as 2000AD has aged, it has become a lot more graphic.

For example, I don't think this is really appropriate fare for a six year old:

fate amenable to change

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
« Reply #6 on: 18 August, 2018, 08:57:11 pm »
Yotsuba is always recommended to new readers, but be warned it's manga and risks turning your child into a weeb.  Younger relatives who enjoyed that also thoroughly enjoyed Stargazing Dog, which is about homeless man and a sick puppy living in a car in a field and increasingly seems like a parable for our times.
Marvel's Adventures line from the early part of the millennium is also a good source of harmless fun, particularly the Spider-Man and Guruhiru-drawn Power Pack series.  You used to be able to get them in little digest collections of 4-issue arcs, though I don't know if that's still the case.  If you can get the original Power Pack origin collection, the colouring dates it but it's still a solid child-friendly read even after 34 years.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 August, 2018, 10:00:56 pm »
Bone. The answer to this question is always Bone...

Just wanted to say thank you.  We got hold of Bone and have been enjoying it immensely.

Oh that's cool glad your both enjoying... mind with the genius that is Jeff Smith its not much of a gamble!