Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which's the best story/stories with Judge Giant Jr?  (Read 614 times)

Proudhuff

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • A minefield of imbeciles and chimps
    • View Profile
Re: Which's the best story/stories with Judge Giant Jr?
« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2018, 12:37:03 pm »
Yeah, bring back Giant, Rico, and that space cadet one whatshis name, and Guthrie!!

They could all visit the Emerald City  Isle? eh Mike?
I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man!

Sandman1

• Page Numbering Droid
    • View Profile
Re: Which's the best story/stories with Judge Giant Jr?
« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2018, 04:11:24 pm »
I feel like Wagner may have lost interest in Giant round about the same time Rico was introduced: to a certain extent, Rico supplanted him as Dredd's 'heir'.

Wagner's interest in Rico lasted about as long as his interest in Giant. If he was still writing Dredd, he'd have got bored of Beeny by now, too.

That's pretty strange because both Giant and Beeny have an interesting, quite similar origin with a depth in the characterization. They are two great choices if you're planning on including multiple judges in the forefront of a story.   

And the non-Wagners are more interested in their own not-Dredds (Gerhart, Joyce, Ghost Girl) than tidying-up Wagner's loose ends, so Rico, Giant & Beeny will probably just fade quietly into the background until some future hack needs an emotional impact for their big story or decides to stamp their mark on the strip by setting fire to the furniture.

I don't feel the need to fill in a blank spot with something new if fine source material already exists. Introduce a new antagonist on the other hand...
Error...