Main Menu

Why Don't I Enjoy Art Any More?

Started by Andy Lambert, 15 September, 2018, 10:33:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

Thank you, Steven - I wish you all the best in your endeavours too.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 16 September, 2018, 10:49:27 AMPerhaps, if I found a better source of income, stopped pursuing art as a career, I might enjoy art again as a hobby...
Another side of this might be to revisit how much you're charging for commissions. I've no idea on that score, but I know someone who does pet portraits, and said it was becoming a chore. Then I found out how much she was charging (about a quarter of what she should be, which put her efforts below minimum wage) and that suggested where part of the increasing resentment for the task was coming from.

Quote from: Steven Denton on 16 September, 2018, 11:12:54 AMColin MacNeil talked about art going from a paying hobby or passion to just a Job after America.
I recall when I was games editor on a magazine getting in touch with one of my favourite writers from the old school. He thanked me for the offers of work but said that, no, he was happy that for the first time in his life that gaming was again a hobby rather than a job. He then warned me about the same. And so it's been since that point. I play games for work – very rarely for myself. I almost never finish any. I don't harbour any resentment towards gaming, but the relationship with something is changed forever when it becomes work. (The possible exception there is if you can make a very good living from something you live. For example, I can't imagine too many A-list musicians are unhappy about having to write an album every year and do some touring.)

Fungus

Art's my thing too. I noodle around and joined the local art group a year ago. Even exhibited some paintings last month in the group show, got a kick out of that... (none sold but the feedback was interesting/thrilling/irritating all at once).

In a wistful moment you can wonder if you missed your vocation. Art as a Job isn't a reality for me. Which is fine. I may switch job very soon, even then I'm under no illusions about getting paid for art. Having done a couple of things for friends (not charged) I've a requested landscape that bores me - I can't bring myself to care about it, how joyless is that?! Meanwhile I feel I'm letting someone down. Sheesh.

Which is to say, I love idiosynchratic art. When it's done for the right reasons, and that shines through. Applies to comics as much as art. So I noodle, try out media, enjoy the process as much as I can.

Sorry to waffle. Hope your current outlook changes Andy, your art here is a highlight for me and I'm guessing everyone else too. Maybe being an artist - in whatever way - ahead of being a frustrated one is the trick. Anyway, keep it up!

GrudgeJohnDeed

I find the motivation to seriously draw scarce, for a variety of reasons. But I feel quite motivated to do pixel art even though the excitement of fast progress in my abilities is long behind me. I think a big part of that is I have over-arching goals of attempting to make videogames (my first love), and hell they need pixel art! I can do pixel art! So just from that point of view, maybe upping the ante and taking on a larger project that is a collision of art and a passion of yours - say comics -  is the way to go?

I also think that changing mediums for a while can refresh your passions, as you have the excitement of learning and improving again, and then some of those skills transfer back to your drawing.

Your art is really great by the way :)

Steve Green

I think the changing media view is pretty accurate.

I drew a fair bit as a kid and through college up to my early twenties - the lure of 3D and animation became more of a passion, and paid well.

So I'd not drawn much in 20 years but the appearance of the ipad pro got me back into scribbling a bit.

I wouldn't say one is more fun than the other for me, but sketching in procreate is a bit more relaxing for me, and not having to worry about lots of bits of paper and associated mess is a bonus.

That said, I'd no real aspiration to draw as a profession and my interests flit about to new topics, whether that's 3D, VR, translating 3D models into 3D printing, making films etc.

Fortunately the day job pays for that, as it's a pricey enterprise.

So maybe if it's possible to switch media or change tack it might keep things fresh.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Yeah that sounds good, drawing is a useful supplementary skill for things like film making and 3d modelling too isn't it, being able to draw up storyboards and designs beforehand. So whilst concentrating on other mediums you might also find yourself motivated to engage the old drawing skills in a really useful way.

Rogue Judge

Andy, I'm a fan of your artwork (the last Christmas Advent was great!) and get real joy from it - I was looking forward to your official submission for the Dredd contest and you did not disappoint! Is the artist guilty of the yellow elbow pads you?

I draw occasionally and do enjoy it (its peaceful, productive, builds skills and I enjoy the music I listen to while doing it) - but for me, I need to draw for a purpose. My brother and an owner of a comic store occasionally ask me for a specific character commission (at no cost) and that gives me the purpose. Knowing someone will enjoy/appreciate it, and even display it, provides me with enough satisfaction to continue.

Like others have suggested, maybe doing commissions (having that purpose) and knowing that others enjoy and appreciate your art may be enough to bring you fulfillment and the joy to continue creating art.

amines2058

Andy, you should not waste a talent like yours. You are a very skillful artist, whose work I enjoy and look forward to seeing. You recent self portrait with Dredd being a highlight for me (but all of your work is fab)!
Like others have said why not look at a new challenge, or diversifying to try and re-ignite that spark.
As you know for the past 12 months plus I have been drawing sketch cards for a few companies in the US.
The pay isn't great, but the challenge of working on such a a small area (2.5" x 3.5"), as well as the sense of pride from seeing your work found around the world by collectors is fantastic.
Knowing that you can create officially licensed work, (often approved by the actors themselves) for properties such as Star Wars, The Walking Dead, Stranger Things, Aliens etc is a great feeling.
If you did fancy diversifying, then I would be only to happy to pass on further info and chat elsewhere about this.
Also as mentioned above you could always try a local convention. You have an amazing portfolio, where you could easily select a number of prints to sell on. You may not always make a profit, but meeting and chatting to others with similar likes, who truly appreciate and enjoy your art (and if your lucky buy it) is good fun!
I did my 1st Con (more by luck than judgement) August 2017 and have done another 5 or 6 since. I now sell prints, original art, sketch cards, greeting cards and mugs all featuring my artwork.
You don't even need to do a convention you could always sell prints online via Etsy or similar and have an extra income
Again the above keep you busy and are a challenge but it is also something different.
I have a day job, but outside of this I create art as much as I can, as I now realise that it can help to provide for my family, but mainly because I love it, and I think this has come from diversifying constantly over the past few years. Feel free to drop me a message and chat if you want in other info?

TordelBack

Andy,  I lack a single molecule of creativity,  never mind artistic ability,  so I don't have any insight to offer: but I do want to say that I have always enjoyed your art,  and actively look forward to your entry in any comp or calendar that comes up.

Bolt-01

Andy- sorry to read you've hit this point. I've been involved in making comics in one form or another for most of my life. Up until I was mid twenties I harboured the illusion that my artistic skills were sufficient and with enough pages under my belt I'd be sure to find myself in the position of a highly sought after artist.

That didn't happen, obviously. However, I've managed to build my hobby into something that I feel has a genuine benefit to others. When I see someone go from the SP up to being a pro it feels like nothing else in the world. To know that I had a part in nurturing that talent is amazing.

The strips I've had from you feel like you are just getting started. Seriously.

There are quite a few folk here who I've published over the years and others who I wish were still creating but for their own reasons are not.

I can't offer you advice on getting through your current lull (Jovus, if you only knew how many times I've told Richmond I was thinking of knocking it on the head...) but I can tell you that your work is valued.

Take care.

Andy Lambert

Wow, thank you so much, folks. I'm honestly very grateful for your advice, support and words of encouragement.
I'm actually wondering if there is indeed some way to keep the art alive and the only way I can do that is adjust my attitude about it. In order to do that, my current circumstances need to change... which admittedly, is easier said than done.
Since the depression I had before, I put on weight, and as a result my motivation, enthusiasm and confidence has dwindled greatly. I need to start eating better food and get more exercise in my life. I know this alone can improve one's state of mind immensely.
I need to find myself in a better job, which the idea of hunting terrifies me.... I absolutely suck at self promotion, and usually try to avoid any situation where I need to do this.
As for the art itself... well, I don't think I'll ever enjoy drawing people's pets or babies, but if I can find the enjoyment in drawing for comics, illustrations, etc, in the way I used to, then that would be great. If I can draw the things I'm interested in find people who like what I've drawn enough to buy prints, then so much the better.
amines2058, I'm genuinely envious of your passion for art - how you knock your stuff out on top of of being a family man with a day job. Once I've figured out what to ask, I'll certainly take you up on your offer.
I'll take on board the suggestions of trying out new media - I'm not exactly sure where to begin with that, but I'll find some way. I know my media usage is limited - another fear of mine is trying something new and unfamiliar. This applies to other aspects in my life, and even though I've been afraid of doing something new, only to find it's not that difficult and I am actually capable, that sense of fear still appears when presented with another challenge. You'd think I'd learn by now..!
I have a Wacom graphics tablet which I've never had a go at. I'd love to explore digital drawing and colouring - I'm often very envious of the art of Darren Stephens who masters colour and lighting so brilliantly.

When I was at Lawgiver earlier this year, I took my artwork along and it took me right to the end of the day before I could summon up the courage to show it to the professionals. I showed the new boys Dan Cornwall and Paul Williams as well as the master, John Higgins. All were very complimentary, and told me I had the skills to be a comics artist. I came away from that event riding on such a high - all I wanted to do when I got home was draw some Dredd or other stuff. Unfortunately, I had my final major project at college to finish, as well as a bunch of commissions for people and by the time I got those out of the way, that excitement was gone.
To be honest, the last drawing a genuinely enjoyed doing was my submission to the Pat Mills themed competition.

Bolt-1, I'm extremely grateful you've given me a chance at drawing comics and I certainly don't want to let you down in any way. I know I struggled drawing the recent Dredd strip - I'm aware I wanted it to be prog-worthy and was frustrated with myself when I knew it wasn't, but I have to remind myself that was only my second comic strip. I need to give myself a reality check and stop with the unrealistic expectations.
The recent strip I've been given should be a big improvement - lots of exciting imagery in that one!
I'm sure there's a comic drawing art class in London, I wish I was able to attend but it's a bit far to go for it.

Rogue Judge, thank you so much for the compliments - yes, that is indeed me in the yellow pads picture. It's non-too flattering, but it wasn't really meant to be. I can assure you I don't actually look like I'm local to Royston Vasey..!

Anyway, thank you again so much for your input - it's exactly what I was looking for when I posted this thread.
My head's still in a bit of confusion and uncertainty, but I think I'm feeling a little more positive.
I've got some pretty big changes to make in my life- all of which are daunting - but I'm sure they will make things better for me and they will only happen if I start taking steps in their direction.

Thank you :)

Andy Lambert

Wow, thank you so much, folks. I'm honestly very grateful for your advice, support and words of encouragement.
I'm actually wondering if there is indeed some way to keep the art alive and the only way I can do that is adjust my attitude about it. In order to do that, my current circumstances need to change... which admittedly, is easier said than done.
Since the depression I had before, I put on weight, and as a result my motivation, enthusiasm and confidence has dwindled greatly. I need to start eating better food and get more exercise in my life. I know this alone can improve one's state of mind immensely.
I need to find myself in a better job, which the idea of hunting terrifies me.... I absolutely suck at self promotion, and usually try to avoid any situation where I need to do this.
As for the art itself... well, I don't think I'll ever enjoy drawing people's pets or babies, but if I can find the enjoyment in drawing for comics, illustrations, etc, in the way I used to, then that would be great. If I can draw the things I'm interested in and find people who like what I've drawn enough to buy prints, then so much the better.
amines2058, I'm genuinely envious of your passion for art - how you knock your stuff out on top of of being a family man with a day job. Once I've figured out what to ask, I'll certainly take you up on your offer.
I'll take on board the suggestions of trying out new media - I'm not exactly sure where to begin with that, but I'll find some way. I know my media usage is limited - another fear of mine is trying something new and unfamiliar. This applies to other aspects in my life, and even though I've been afraid of doing something new, only to find it's not that difficult and I am actually capable, that sense of fear still appears when presented with another challenge. You'd think I'd learn by now..!
I have a Wacom graphics tablet which I've never had a go at. I'd love to explore digital drawing and colouring - I'm often very envious of the art of Darren Stephens who masters colour and lighting so brilliantly.

When I was at Lawgiver earlier this year, I took my artwork along and it took me right to the end of the day before I could summon up the courage to show it to the professionals. I showed the new boys Steve Austin, Dan Cornwall and Paul Williams as well as the master, John Higgins. All were very complimentary, and told me I had the skills to be a comics artist. I came away from that event riding on such a high - all I wanted to do when I got home was draw some Dredd or other stuff. Unfortunately, I had my final major project at college to finish, as well as a bunch of commissions for people and by the time I got those out of the way, that excitement was gone.
To be honest, the last drawing I genuinely enjoyed doing was my submission to the Pat Mills themed competition.

Bolt-1, I'm extremely grateful you've given me a chance at drawing comics and I certainly don't want to let you down in any way. I know I struggled drawing the recent Dredd strip - I'm aware I wanted it to be prog-worthy and was frustrated with myself when I knew it wasn't, but I have to remind myself that that was only my second comic strip. I need to give myself a reality check and stop with the unrealistic expectations.
The recent strip I've been given should be a big improvement - lots of exciting imagery in that one!
I'm sure there's a comics drawing art class in London, I wish I was able to attend but it's a bit far to go for it.

Rogue Judge, thank you so much for the compliments - yes, that is indeed me in the yellow pads picture. It's non-too flattering, but it wasn't really meant to be. I can assure you I don't actually look like I'm local to Royston Vasey..!

Anyway, thank you again so much for your input - it's exactly what I was looking for when I posted this thread.
My head's still in a bit of confusion and uncertainty, but I think I'm feeling a little more positive.
I've got some pretty big changes to make in my life- all of which are daunting - but I'm sure they will make things better for me and they will only happen if I start taking steps in their direction.

Thank you :)

Andy Lambert

Step 1: Taking a break from Facebook. It's handy for keeping in touch but it's such a distraction and time waster and I need focus right now. :)

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 September, 2018, 06:46:18 AM
I always end up regretting throwing stuff away, even if I've come to terms with it at the time that I do it. 

In terms of creative output: I wrote the opening chapters of a book about twenty or so years ago and I've always thought I'd get around to finishing it one day.  So I still have those around, just in case I do find the time or the inclination one day.

Did you throw away those opening chapters?  No matter - have you heard of National Novel Writing Month?  People all around the world spend November writing a 50,000-word first draft of a novel (or autobiography, or cookery book, or whatever else they want to write).  The idea isn't to create great art on the first attempt, but to go from "I've always wanted to write a novel" to "I've written the first draft of a novel".

radiator

Totally identify with this, sadly.

In the last five years since I moved to the US I feel like I've undergone a slow but fundamental change in interests and outlook - I've discovered a passion for the outdoors; camping, hiking, backpacking, kayaking, just travel in general - and as that has grown, my interest in all things sci fi and comic books has dropped off a cliff, and I spend a lot more time and energy (and money!) on photography nowadays than drawing. I feel very disconnected from the whole geek world without really knowing why, and it makes me quite sad in a weird way - almost like I've betrayed my younger self or something?

When I do (occasionally) draw, the subject matter has totally changed - it's no longer robots and sci fi stuff and more stuff inspired by nature and travel. I've started to sell a few of my illustration prints in a local chain of shops which is cool, and could maybe go somewhere (but it does also come with a lot of anxiety/fear of rejection - "what if they don't sell?" etc).

In general I find that creativity is a blessing and a curse and brings out the worst in me in a lot of ways - I (like many others I suspect) go through phases of feeling supremely confident about my abilities and then periods of crippling self doubt. I tend to love what I'm working on while I'm doing it, then immediately hate it once I've finished - and I will overthink things to the point where I will quite often abandon projects half done after spending a huge amount of time on them (I currently probably have like a dozen things 'on the back burner, but who knows if I'll ever get round to finishing them?). I also increasingly experience feelings of competitiveness and jealousy when friends have success in creative endeavors, which is really unhealthy and a part of my personality that I hate.

While certain friends and family members are very encouraging and supportive, I get equally discouraged and demotivated when others show only the bare minimum of interest or enthusiasm for my work - it kinda feels like a kick in the teeth sometimes. The internet can also be a really daunting place - it's weirdly dispiriting to post something you've worked very hard on online to be met with almost total silence and/or indifference, and it can sometimes make you wonder what the point of it all is.