Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Musings on The Small House.  (Read 29399 times)

broodblik

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
Re: Musings on The Small House.
« Reply #60 on: 08 November, 2018, 02:56:08 pm »
I really enjoy “The Small House” and we all can see how Dredd’s world is changing (an hopefully the stories following will align with the changes). The only issue I have is that this has been building up over a few years and you do lose some cohesion and understanding when reading the story. It would be nice when the dust has settled to have to whole thing bundled together in one collection.

robert_ellis

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 19 November, 2018, 05:21:03 pm »
Agreed - I'm guessing the Titan/Enceladus is the latest material to collect this storyline. Is there enough for a new Rob Williams volume?

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 19 November, 2018, 05:39:04 pm »
Agreed - I'm guessing the Titan/Enceladus is the latest material to collect this storyline. Is there enough for a new Rob Williams volume?

broodblik

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 19 November, 2018, 06:15:35 pm »
Thanks for that Frank, will be looking to get the collection next year

broodblik

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 23 November, 2018, 01:01:28 pm »

broodblik

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 10 September, 2019, 03:41:50 am »
Interview with Rob Williams: https://www.comicsbeat.com/interview-rob-williams-judge-dredd-the-small-house/

The last part of the interview he mentioned that his working on a new long-form Dredd story

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.craiggrannell.com
« Reply #66 on: 10 September, 2019, 10:38:10 am »
Good to know he’s not gone. I feared the previous story was his Dredd swansong.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 10 September, 2019, 12:19:49 pm »
I found it very interesting that between The Small House and the most recent story he killed off (or appeared to kill off)pretty much all of his own original characters, but of Dredd's 'tribe' left Ewing's Maitland and of course Wagner's Giant. It suggests a change of focus for his future work.

AlexF

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
    • Heroes of 2000AD blog
« Reply #68 on: 13 September, 2019, 11:00:51 am »
Having just re-read the Small House in collected form, with the prologue, I liked it even more than when it was first in the Progs. I remember it felt like a breakneck thrill-ride at the time, with not enough explaining what was going on and what it all meant - but in collected form that's really not a problem at all. I sort of wish there were another couple of earlier stories in there bridging the Rob Williams 'saga' in between Titan/Enceladus and Act of Grud, but that's the thing with Dredd - it is possible to break it into satisfying chunks, but to get the absolute most out of it, you've just got to read basically ALL of it!

In all, a hugely satisfying conclusion to the Trifecta / Titan sequences; a slight shame that the 'ramifications' basically amount to a couple of character deaths (I will miss you forever, Dirfty Frank!) Hershey resigning and us getting a new chief Judge - one of these days Wagner or someone is going to dare to relax the iron rule of the Judges into some sort of democracy. Can you imagine if Dredd has to step back to being merely Judge, but requiring another person / body of people to take over the jury/executioner parts...

or maybe that would break the whole concept of the character/story too much.