Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Computer purchase advice  (Read 719 times)

JamesC

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
Computer purchase advice
« on: 31 December, 2018, 12:53:01 pm »
Hi all.
I’m looking to buy a new laptop soon. I want something nice and light weight but it doesn’t need to be particularly powerful. It’ll be used for basic officey stuff but I don’t think a Chromebook would be good as my girlfriend will also use it and does lots of work in areas without unreliable internet connectivity.
I don’t want to spend too much and don’t want something preloaded with lots of crap (MacAffee and all that rubbish) or for it to have a version of windows installed that it can barely cope with (as seems to be the case with my parent’s laptop).
Can anyone recommend a place to buy a decent, reliable computer for a good price?
Thanks.

The Enigmatic Dr X

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
Re: Computer purchase advice
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2018, 02:15:33 pm »
I was recommended the Dell outlet, and would do so for all you here.

The machines are all guaranteed and come from Dell. Some have superficial damage.

If you're not in a rush, they release codes every few weeks that give a hefty discount on their machines and make them super, super reasonable.

I got an Alienware gaming laptop with loads of bells and whistles - RRP £2000 - for £900. The same level of discount applies to all their models.

You do need a code though. The one I got had a dent in its case and was reduced to £1200. I then got a code for another 25% off.

Snidely, they show prices ex-VAT on their site, so you do need to be careful.
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • A minefield of imbeciles and chimps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2018, 10:31:34 pm »
Local cheese shop is always good. And you get a free mouse.
But everybody else is overwhelmed by indifference and the promise of an early bed

Theblazeuk

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2019, 08:46:12 pm »
Holy crap an Alienware for £900!?

The Enigmatic Dr X

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 January, 2019, 10:05:09 am »
Yup. And with a 1070, SSD and 32Meg

Bit of patience, and waiting for a double discount - which the outlet does every few months.
Lock up your spoons!

Theblazeuk

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2019, 11:32:03 am »
Wow. A 1070 alone...

I mean still way outside my price range, hence my frankenstein of parts being a modular upgrade every time (Got a 580 so for the first time at the top of the graphics range) but boy. Definitely something to keep in mind.

[Sorry to not offer advice James, I only do Desktops as you can modify them without ruining the circuitboards through cackhandedness]

harshill652310

• Never Nude
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 September, 2019, 10:40:01 pm »
I recently purchased Dell Flagship 23.8″ FHD Widescreen Touchscreen All-in-One AIO Desktop Computer

I know we live in a new age where technology is exceeding everything before it even comes out to the public however, this computer is pretty good if you're not technologically savvy. If you just need a computer to do Baseline functions like windows programs Excel, PowerPoint, Etc. It's also pretty decent if you just need a desktop or like the feel of a desktop but want that same feeling of having a tablet since it has a touch screen but, on a larger scale. If you have children I would highly recommend getting a package of styluses and really enforcing the usage of those styluses on the screen because we all know how kids are. They touch their faces pick their noses and all that gross stuff and then touch everything else without washing their hands so if you want to avoid a dirty computer screen like I said get some styluses. This desktop is my First Dell, the first all-in-one, and it is also my first brand new desktop for seven years. Definitely a huge improvement. One cool thing on this computer is that it has a pop-up web camera you just push the top of it and it pushes straight up. Then you push it back down and it locks itself back in place when you're done with it. Since DVDs, Blu-rays and, CDs are slowly going to meet the demise of cassette tapes and players, this computer does not come with any type of disc drive. You can always get an external drive you just have to have one. The mouse and keyboard are both wireless and are calibrated to one USB drive so, you'll only use one port. The mouse takes 1 AA and the keyboard takes 2 AAA which were included with the package. For you gamers, this would not be a good gaming computer. It has a 512mb integrated video card. If you dont mind turning your graphics all the way down you can play world of warcraft with little lag and drag. The 8gb of ram makes it pretty responsive for a middle-end budget computer(time4buying). It has a 1Tb hard drive which is pretty standard now. You could always use external devices if you really need extra space. I gave it 5 stars because it is exactly what I wanted and needed at a price I was willing to spend. Unless you want or need a high-performance desktop for graphics-intensive programs this will work fine for a home/office computer.