Main Menu

New 'Salem's Lot' Movie

Started by Andy Lambert, 28 April, 2019, 12:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

I knew this would happen - following 'It' and 'Pet Cemetery', I figured there'd be a new adaption of this vampire classic. The original tv movie is a stone cold classic chiller, and vampires have rarely been that scary since, so personally I'm both excited for this project and also dreading it. Those are mighty big boots to fill...

The involvement of James Wan and Gary Dauberman gives me hope though. I can't think of anyone better than Doug Jones to play Kurt Barlow - especially as I've just discovered he's involved with a crowdfunding project to remake - or "revisualise" - 'Nosferatu', which he has donned vampire prosthetics for a screen test, which you can see below. He's definitely the man for the job in my opinion..!

So what do you reckon? A classic ready for a rebirth, or should it be left alone? Are you happy with the chaps involved or do you have your own ideas?

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2019/04/james-wan-to-produce-remake-of-stephen-kings-salem.html

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'd love to see a remake, but only if it went for balls out fear.

The thing that resonates with me, from the book, is the creeping depopulation of the town. That kind of sudden apocalyptic realistation of wrongness needs to be portrayed. Not some teen flick.

It'll end up a teen flick.
Lock up your spoons!

Andy Lambert

It better not, and I have more faith in Wan than most horror film directors.
I've really only ever seen the tv movie, which I love! - but I've been meaning for ages to read the novel itself. I must rectify that!

Professor Bear

I am so old I can remember when the future had new stuff in it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Professor Bear on 28 April, 2019, 03:08:22 PM
I am so old I can remember when the future had new stuff in it.

Ha! Mind the future then promised me flying cars and jet packs - so ya now the new stuff in the future was a lie.

Anyway I loved the old Salem's Lot back in the day but haven't seen it for years - wouldn't mind seeing it again to see if it holds up. Would probably be excited about this, except I haven't got around to seeing IT yet so even if the future had lots of lovely new stuff I'd still not bloody get to it as I suspect I'll not get to this so I'll try not to get to excited.

Andy Lambert

Can something be old if it's never had a cinematic release before? Both "It" and "Salem's Lot" were tv movies but until recently, neither were made for the cinema...

M.I.K.

I really dislike those Nosferatu prosthetics.

Too generically 'evil' looking, not enough creepy-eerie WTFness.

Mattofthespurs

And don't forget this will be the 3rd adaptation of 'Salem's Lot.

wedgeski

I'm in for a remake, sure. I have a spft spot for the Tobe Hooper version, though.

Dark Jimbo

Read the book for the first time at the start of the year, and loved the atmosphere of creeping unease. Character deaths start to pile up surprisingly early on, and one in particular was a real shocker!

Think my favourite bit was actually the little epilogue/short story in my edition set some years after the main novel, with 'the Lot' having become a folkloric no-go zone, shunned by everyone for miles around.

Quite looking forward to this as I've never seen the existing TV versions.
@jamesfeistdraws

Andy Lambert

What?!? You HAVE to watch the 1979 TV movie! It's brilliant!!

low down dirty drokker

When you absolutely, positively have to watch one vampire TV show, Salems lot is the one..the 70's version is both atmospheric and generally creepy.  Danny glick at your window. Change those boxers now. The book is as much fun as the show.

Mardroid

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 April, 2019, 10:43:29 AM
Read the book for the first time at the start of the year, and loved the atmosphere of creeping unease. Character deaths start to pile up surprisingly early on, and one in particular was a real shocker!

Think my favourite bit was actually the little epilogue/short story in my edition set some years after the main novel, with 'the Lot' having become a folkloric no-go zone, shunned by everyone for miles around.

One for the Road.
Brr. That was chilling, in more ways than one.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Mardroid on 29 April, 2019, 06:32:23 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 April, 2019, 10:43:29 AM

One for the Road.
Brr. That was chilling, in more ways than one.

Indeed. In more ways than one.