Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HBO Watchmen  (Read 3780 times)

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
Re: HBO Watchmen
« Reply #60 on: 22 October, 2019, 05:44:39 pm »
Finally,  someone appreciates your work Proudhuff!

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 25 October, 2019, 06:22:08 am »
Was  just served up a Polygon article containing the shocking news that the superhero Rorschach whose visage apparently dominates HBO's hit show Watchmen was not in fact intended as a loving homage to Batman.

(Deeper down it's actually a pretty good piece that touches on Moore's attitude to Ditko and Rand,  but you have to get through many paragraphs that assume you think Rorschach is a goodie).

((I've read an alarming amount of Tweets this week that assume Moore's name isn't on the show because be disapproves of how Lindlehof subverts the 'happy ending' of Watchmen by not having Adrian's scheme result in eternal world peace)).

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 25 October, 2019, 01:54:49 pm »

((I've read an alarming amount of Tweets this week that assume Moore's name isn't on the show because be disapproves of how Lindlehof subverts the 'happy ending' of Watchmen by not having Adrian's scheme result in eternal world peace)).

Well, don't sound so surprised. If there was one thing Alan Grant wanted to do with The Watchman, it was to create moral certainties and get rid of grey areas. Why do you think he made Rawshack the hero?
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #63 on: 25 October, 2019, 02:05:54 pm »
Well, don't sound so surprised. If there was one thing Alan Grant wanted to do with The Watchman, it was to create moral certainties and get rid of grey areas. Why do you think he made Rawshack the hero?

This is the sort of close-read criticism that really cuts to the heart of the matter. Bravo!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 25 October, 2019, 03:23:39 pm »
One does one's best.
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

Dudley

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 27 October, 2019, 01:43:18 am »
Much to my shock and amazement episode one was bloody brilliant.

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 28 October, 2019, 11:12:26 am »
I've just watched it too. I didn't want to like it, but I thought it was ok.  Sorry, Alan. Better by far than any Before Watchmen stuff or Doomsday Clock. 
If it continues to be good I'll just have to keep telling myself it isn't the Alan Moore Watchmen universe but another one where the same shit happened as Watchmen.

And Jeremy Irons is Veidt, isn't he?  I don't think Veidt was ever supposed to be English,  but it's always been hard to read his dialogue in any other accent.

wedgeski

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 30 October, 2019, 04:13:55 pm »
I just watched the first two and was riveted. Superb storytelling.

judgeurko

• Mek-Quakes Leftovers
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 07 November, 2019, 06:09:46 pm »
Just binged on the first 3 episodes. This is great stuff. Far better than I thought it would be.