Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pat Mills and 2000 AD royalties  (Read 1120 times)

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
Re: Pat Mills and 2000 AD royalties
« Reply #30 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:34:43 pm »
Would the 2000AD brand have the weight it does if it had been entirely creator-owned from day one?

Creator ownership was baked into the DNA of 2000ad from day one. The promise of owning all rights to their work was how IPC scammed John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra* into creating the company's most profitable character.

The only reason any 2000ad creator is paid royalties is because, one day in 1987, John Wagner marched into John Davidge's office, dumped a ton of reprints on the desk, and pointed out that he'd made 'not one fucking penny' from them.

A creator made a fuss, then a system that was common across the industry, and had endured for decades, changed forever.

* ... and Pat Mills into creating the comic itself.

Steve Green

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:47:00 pm »
Also some rights on Terrameks (or at least IPC only had first publishing rights) - there was another thing somewhere which seemed to imply that Strontium Dog was initially going to be creator owned, or appeared as such in Starlord before management got wind of it.

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:59:32 pm »
... one day in 1987

1989, idiot.

athorist

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 May, 2019, 03:21:10 pm »
I'm going to an event this month and Simon Bisley's going to be there. Would it be a bad idea

a) to get him to sign my UC copy of The Horned God
b) to give him the copy with the spine misprint, at least he could get some money out of it

(In the section he's in, autographs are free, but it says you might be charged if you bring something to sign)

I'm thinking I'm not going to do b), mainly because it means bringing two copies of a book I've already read, and possibly giving away the wrong one
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

Robes

• Mek-Quakes Leftovers
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 29 May, 2019, 10:22:55 am »
Is it £129 for the Horned God only?  This takes into account the 80% discount on that issue?  Because then I'm assuming they are going to earn 3000 - 4000 for the entire slain run, which doesn't seem bad to me considering the age of the comic.  Are my sums correct?

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 29 May, 2019, 10:33:39 am »
Is it £129 for the Horned God only?  This takes into account the 80% discount on that issue?  Because then I'm assuming they are going to earn 3000 - 4000 for the entire Slain run

Simon Bisley won't. 

Hachette's thesis is that the discount on the first issue means it sells much more than the regularly priced volumes, so it's impossible to extrapolate earnings on other books from reported royalties on this one.

The Amstor Computer

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 29 May, 2019, 01:44:36 pm »
Simon Bisley won't. 

Hachette's thesis is that the discount on the first issue means it sells much more than the regularly priced volumes, so it's impossible to extrapolate earnings on other books from reported royalties on this one.

...though it is worth pointing out that Pat himself noted on the blog post that sparked all of this that the royalty payment he received for the Hachette release of Nemesis the Warlock was pretty much identical to the one he received for the Ultimate Collection reprint of The Horned God. I'm guessing here that that was for Volume 1 or 2, as the third volume was released later in 2018. It may be that the figures have declined as the Ultimate Collection has rolled on since, but I'd imagine that there is a core of subscribers who will commit early and stay committed to the end of the series so I wouldn't be surprised if sales were kinda flat after a certain point (and royalties for sole writer/artist staying similarly flat). 

Not enough to extrapolate accurately from, but with approx. 20 volumes in the series with Pat as sole writer it might give some indication of potential royalties over the whole Collection.

The question of whether the royalty rate Pat describes is fair aside for a moment, to an outsider it seems like the Hachette series start with a high-profile tale to "kickstart" things in the hope that high initial sales will lead to high (or at least sustainable) retention of subscribers which should ultimately benefit subsequent releases, the other authors and artists involved and Hachette/Rebellion. With around 20 releases to his name over the whole series, Pat seems to be the writer in a position to benefit the most from higher initial sales and a good retention rate - just as I would expect John Wagner would have stood to see the benefit of good initial sales on the Mega Collection, even if America led the series with a far lower rate.

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
  • Pretend I typed IMHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 May, 2019, 01:56:47 pm »
... it seems like the Hachette series start with a high-profile tale to "kickstart" things in the hope that high initial sales will lead to high (or at least sustainable) retention of subscribers ...

So let Hachette bear the cost of their own strategy, rather than expecting creators to subsidise their hunch.