Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Donating blood.  (Read 1062 times)

Mattofthespurs

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
Donating blood.
« on: 19 June, 2019, 02:36:45 pm »
Does anyone else here do it.

Just come back from my 60th donation.

But then I like free crisps and biscuits  :)

Tiplodocus

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
Re: Donating blood.
« Reply #1 on: 19 June, 2019, 02:50:38 pm »
Only 48 myself. But in my defence, I had a few years where they thought I couldn't because of a malaria risk.

Everybody who can, should, as often as possible.

And "Oooh but I'm squeamish about needles" does not constitute "can't".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mattofthespurs

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2019, 04:09:06 pm »
Only 48 myself. But in my defence, I had a few years where they thought I couldn't because of a malaria risk.

Absolutely.

My appointment was 12.50. I was seen for the iron test at 12.55, in a chair at 1pm and finished by 1.15. No pain and a nice comfy relax before a cup of tea and some food before leaving with  a sense that I had actually achieved something today.

Which is always nice.

paddykafka

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2019, 04:35:11 pm »
Back in my day, you could actually get a glass of Guinness afterwards (perhaps to restore lost iron after donation but, not being an expert in such matters, I can't say for certain).

Needless to say, this was not the only reason that I chose to donate... ::)

The Enigmatic Dr X

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2019, 04:45:30 pm »

I just look away and tell the nurse I don't want to talk
« Last Edit: 19 June, 2019, 04:48:04 pm by The Enigmatic Dr X »
Lock up your spoons!

Mattofthespurs

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2019, 05:48:05 pm »
Back in my day, you could actually get a glass of Guinness afterwards (perhaps to restore lost iron after donation but, not being an expert in such matters, I can't say for certain).

Funny you should say that but for the first time in 60 donations my iron was a little low and they had to take a second reading after the 'sink' reading. I was fine to donate (it has to be above 150 or so) but now they tell you to avoid alcohol afterwards.

Obviously I ignore that suggestion but I will say that as I get older (approaching my 51st Birthday) it does make me rather tired if only for a few hours.

But well worth it. Apparently every pint donated saves 3 people.

Do it chaps. You know it makes sense. It could be your family you are saving or, heaven forbid, yourself.

And they make a lovely cup of tea.

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2019, 09:57:30 pm »

Oh God, I really have to start donating again. I remember the bottle of Guinness; sadly missed.
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

Bolt-01

• Global Moderator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • It ain't called ZARJAZ fer nuthin'!
    • View Profile
    • FutureQuake Press
« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2019, 11:05:11 am »
I'm about to get back into donating again after shamefully not donating for a few years. I'm booked in for an appt in September as the sessions I can get to after work fill so fast.

I'm not fond of needles but looking the other way and chatting to other folk is all it needs.

I like to think my blood is special as it must be thrill-infused after all these years...

Mattofthespurs

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2019, 02:50:07 pm »
I'm about to get back into donating again after shamefully not donating for a few years. I'm booked in for an appt in September as the sessions I can get to after work fill so fast.

I'm not fond of needles but looking the other way and chatting to other folk is all it needs.

I like to think my blood is special as it must be thrill-infused after all these years...

Well done!

I'm not squeamish at all but I don't usually watch when they put the needle in. I'm usually reading a book. My last go the nurse was excellent, didn't feel a thing.

gurnard

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 June, 2019, 03:30:25 pm »
Over here in Belgium they won't accept blood from anyone who lived in England between 1980 and 1996 because of  Variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease. I moved over here in 2002 so I am definitely out.  Which is a bit disappointing.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical/eligibility-reference-material.html

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 June, 2019, 05:28:39 pm »
Over here in Belgium they won't accept blood from anyone who lived in England between 1980 and 1996 because of  Variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease. I moved over here in 2002 so I am definitely out.  Which is a bit disappointing.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/donate-blood/how-to-donate/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-alphabetical/eligibility-reference-material.html

The Sun says: BARMY BRUSSELS BUREAUCRATS BAN BRIT BOARDERS' BLOOD
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

Tjm86

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 June, 2019, 06:46:16 pm »
Over here in Belgium they won't accept blood from anyone who lived in England between 1980 and 1996 because of  Variant Creutzfeld-Jacob Disease.

You know what, I think you might have finally explained Brexit!

I, Cosh

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 June, 2019, 07:11:04 pm »
It's the same in Switzerland. I was quite taken aback.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 June, 2019, 07:14:59 pm »

The Sun says: BARMY BRUSSELS BUREAUCRATS BAN BRIT BOARDERS' BLOOD

I just found this on the Irish blood service website. Clearly CJD was a firm respecter of national boundaries, unlike the Tory party.

Never give blood if: You have spent 1 year or more, in total, in the UK in the years 1980 to 1996
We never really die.

Funt Solo

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 June, 2019, 07:48:39 pm »
In the US, I can't give blood because of that Mad Coo Disease that created the Moniaive Comic Festival. 
fate amenable to change