Main Menu

2180: into the fire!

Started by The Monarch, 04 May, 2020, 04:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacqusie

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 08 May, 2020, 06:14:42 PM

more just a terrible plan of hers (which doesn't seem like Hershey in itself) which has gone from bad to worse.

Oh I don't know, she's already been portrayed pretty shabbily as a lame duck by Michael Carrol in the inordinately forgettable 'Every Empire Falls' where she changed from the normally steely resolved Hershey to traits of sudden incompetance and gulability.

I think this new twist is as 2000AD should be, it's got a bite and grit that is sadly missing in the prog at the moment (Apart from Aquila which is sublime). You can always turn the page and enjoy some fluff with Survival Geeks

Quote from: 73north on 09 May, 2020, 09:58:14 AM
The Lockdown is playing havoc with everything but the Prog , for which I am genuinely grateful
for me its been a hard 7 weeks so far , with working in Anaesthetics in the NHS Operating Theatre in Edinburgh wearing the Covid 19 Mask for hours gives me a real idea of what Nu-Earth must be like !

Big respect to you 73 north, I'm front line NHS too wearing the mask of no air, but working in Theatres is a tough gig at the moment. Take care in there chap.

Tjm86

Quote from: broodblik on 09 May, 2020, 10:21:29 AM

Saline will be back ....

Nah, not interested.  Always felt he was a bit of a drip ...

Leigh S

My thoughts on Hershey have been summed up here pretty well, especially Williams tendency to drag his characters through physical pain, torture, mutilation and/or humiliation four our "entertainment". 

My earliest memory of 2000AD is the War Wheels episode of the Judge Child and to see that character, who sumed up a lot of what is great about the comic (and it's casual treatment of women as easily the equal of the male lead) treated this way just does not sit right.

norton canes

Mixed thoughts on the treatment of Hershey. Unfortunately the mix is one part agree to four parts disagree. Haven't read enough Rob Williams to be au fait with his modus operandi but even as a one-off the 'mutilation for shocks' thing is a bit hackneyed. I've got no problem with the existence of the serial - I don't feel it undermines Hershey's apparent demise in 'Guatemala' and I don't object to characters being put through this sort of extreme adversity - it's just that this twist doesn't offer any insight to, or development, of Hershey's character. Rather, it's a gratuitous shock that undermines her strength and causes us to doubt her judgement. Plaudits for wrong-footing us into thinking it was going to be a straight vengeance tale, I suppose.

(Gotta say though, after lauding the strip's vertical title bar, further kudos for its gradual disintegration)

Apart from that the prog's other major controversy is clearly opinion that Eric Saward's reign as Script Editor should be consigned to a temporal dumper. A world without The King's Demons? No way!