Main Menu

Prog 2139 Sympathy for the Devil (Aneke cover)

Started by matty_ae, 06 July, 2019, 02:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

I think the prog is really on an upwards trajectory with some bumps.

Dredd - there's a good resolution to the four parter 'The Samaritan'. Staz Johnson draws a bandaged Dredd up to the standard of Jim Bakie in that post Oz attempt on his life. There's a great feeling of weight and good anatomy as Dredd pulls himself off the operating table. Love it. Maybe it could have been a shorter story overall.

Indigo Prime returns with a re-cap that is one of the funniest things ever to read aloud. It also has a typo in the second line. And the story continues at a million miles an hour but is great fun. I love Lee Carter on this. Great fit. Is it bonkers? - Yes.

Anderson - Aneke's art a bit like the cover is hit and miss. It reminds me a bit of Mick Austin's Anderson one-off with Buddhist monks but there is some really weak anatomy under some nice finishes. It moves along but I'm not sure Karyn is working at all as either a character or a plot device. Two double page spreads are unusual for the prog but welcome.

Absalom - great confident funny work from all involved. Yup the prog benefits from this character.

Art-Star Winner Pin-up - Great Durham Red fully painted by Chris Skinner which is actually better controlled than the second character (Karyn) in the vampiric cover by Aneke. So maybe he should have been given the cover. That said Anderson on the cover is nicely done.

Richard

That was a stunning conclusion for The Samaritan. That story deserves to be collected in the Machine Law book, or in the 2000AD Ultimate Collection. I think four episodes was just right. I hope we'll see more from this writer soon.

I'm not sure how Doc Cotton thinks he's going to survive in deep space without a spacesuit, but whatever. I'm just glad Lee Carter's back.

Eamonn Clarke

And I posted on the wrong prog thread:

Here goes again:
For those who are interested in this sort of thing the twitter @KennethNiemand confirmed he is the real deal by correctly telling me the first line of this week's Dredd in advance (or at least confirmed that he is someone with droid like AI).)

https://twitter.com/KennethNiemand/status/1147440838944968704

All the other Slim Shadys are just imitators.

Timothy

His bio on Twitter now reads "Comic writer. Not Al Ewing."
So that's cleared that up then.

Proudhuff

Loving that Dredd, and Judge Patsy, hope she doesn't fall to pieces or goes out walk-in after midnight

Nothing can replace Scarlet Traces but the continuing Absolm is just dandy..,.

But what's this in Damage Report, Windows for droids... what ever next?
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Not as strong a Prog as recent weeks  with Anderson and Indigo Prime effectively replacing Kingmaker and Scarlet Traces. Sorry to say but I have never "got" Indigo Prime; I just find it too hard to follow. Reading the recap of the last series really reinforced that - with half of it I was very much "I don't remember that / that went over my head when I read it."

I know a lot of squaxx like it, but I'm afraid I already can't wait for it to end. I read some where that this is the final series so I hope it goes out with a bang and lives up to the title....fairly soon.

IndigoPrime

The Indigo Prime recap was entertainingly incomprehensible. But then IP has always been a bit "go with it", bar the fairly straightforward (and superb) Killing Time. I do wish John Smith was still involved with the Prog, mind. Kek-W is doing a very good job on the strip (and what an insanely difficult strip to take on), but the loss of Smith is felt.

UncleBaal

Why is John Smith no longer involved with 2000AD? What have I missed?

UncleBaal

Colin YNWA

Arh bum.

I wrote my thoughts on this last night but must have fluffed posting them. Its been a crazy week for ... well one main reason I won't bore you with... so given where my heads at I'm even more flaky than normal.... anyway what did I say.

Well basically as you where really. Indigo Prime is a fair swop for Scarlet Traces. Very different strips, though both look amazing. Indigo Prime does a good job of getting us up to speed without loosening the crazy. Worked well for me and while I miss John Smoth immensely taken on its own value Kek-W is doing a fantastic job.

The rest as you where.

Dredd ended magnificently. Neimand is drumming up some great building plot threads as well as real mystery and Staz Johnson continues to get better and better.

Anderson still close but not quite there alas.

Absalom (who knows if I got my 'o' and 'a' in the right place haven't got the Prog in front of me so just copied matty_ae's spelling!) continues to build creepy tension quite brilliantly.

As does Thistlebone, showing that the brilliant building of creepy tension can be done in very different ways and still work wonderfully!

So yeah very good Prog again. Which is a sign of the good health Tharg's organ is in given we have a shifting line-up. As things come in and out quality is sustained.

broodblik

The Samaritan was a very good Dredd story. Staz art really supplement the story superbly. Pity by the ending but not everyone (or anyone) in Dredd's world gets a happy ending.

Indigo Prime returns after a year so in limbo. I can never really say what I really feel about IP, what an awesome mind-bending story or it just do not make sense on any level whatsoever. At least for the last case we have some pretty pictures to look at.

Anderson is going on quite nicely. It is not standing out but still enjoyable

Absalom as ever is quite brilliant; art and story is strong. Pity that this is the finale but at least we will get an ending.

Thistlebone is building up each week and I can't wait to see where the trail is leading us. Davis art as always is brilliant adding to the mystery of the story.

Good prog
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Really enjoyed this prog - every story and art, some of which I don't always get on with, worked for me.

That DREDD ending was superb.

Thanks Tharg and droids.!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

By the way, does anyone know if the art stars thing was exactly as per competition entry or did Tharg ask for ot to be touched up for the Prog.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!