Main Menu

Comics or opera? U decide

Started by AlexF, 29 July, 2019, 11:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Following a story on the BBC today about UK petitions, I found this one:
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/257090

which calls for the government to fund comics in the UK to the same level as opera.
If everyone signs it who reads 2000AD, the Phoenix, the Beano, Commando and all the Panini Marvel/DC reprints...

...it'll probably still fall short of the 100,000 signatures needed to force Parliament to at least consider the proposal. Still, fun to see actual politics being used as a way to keep comics going!

I'm also tickled by the idea of comparing comics to opera. I guess both are examples of arts that were once genuine mass-market entertainments that have ended up being incredibly niche and prohibitively expensive.

CalHab

Quote from: AlexF on 29 July, 2019, 11:14:04 AM
I'm also tickled by the idea of comparing comics to opera. I guess both are examples of arts that were once genuine mass-market entertainments that have ended up being incredibly niche and prohibitively expensive.

The difference is one is a medium which has appeal across a wide spectrum of society and is wonderful at promoting literacy. The other is a niche subject that almost exclusively appeals to a wealthy audience in a handful of locations, is entirely reliant on subsidies and has had very limited success with "outreach" programmes.

Government policy won't change, for the reasons outlined by "Yes, Minister" back in 1982. For example, I remember being told that traditional music gets less funding from the Scottish government than Scottish Opera's wig and costume budget, despite having proven wide appeal, reaching remote and rural areas and having proven educational benefits. There are too many vested interests.

CalHab

To follow up, you can learn from Scottish Opera's own figures that it earns an astounding 8.7% of its income from actually selling tickets to people. The rest comes from direct or indirect subsidies with a small amount of fundraising from sponsorship.

I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about Scottish Opera, as you may be able to tell. Arts funding is vital, which is why its so frustrating to see so much of it go to one organisation to no obvious benefit.

https://www.scottishopera.org.uk/media/3048/scottish-opera-annual-report-201718.pdf