Main Menu

Scream presents The Thirteenth Floor

Started by IndigoPrime, 11 October, 2019, 10:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

My copy of Home Sweet Home arrived today. The shifting art styles work pretty well, although it's entertaining that the sections with Tom Paterson are among the freakiest. No spoilers from me about the plot, but it's a solid tale that feels very coherent and standalone; there's also an entertaining one-shot called The Romantic, and four pages of reprint that basically form an ad for the Rebellion trade of the original story. Good stuff, all round, and close to the Tammy special as my favourite from this year's crop.

So that's it from this year's specials. Not a duff one among them. The only real disappointment is that at least three of them aren't more regular.

Buttonman

Missed the memo on this one so a pleasant surprise. Looking forward to digging in.

BPP

Awesome work, the differing artists really works with some great pages as artists pour what they have into 1/2 pages.

And if you don't have the original collection you need to get on it. The hardback is one of the sexiest looking things the treasury has produced.

Love these specials - already itching for next years crop - I'd sign up to a monthly sub of rotating titles if rebellion could make it viable.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

I wonder how viable it would be to release these on some kind of rotation.

Jan: The Vigilant
Feb: Scream and Misty Valentine's special / horror
Mar: Cor/Buster spring special
Apr: Tammy/Jinty spring special
May: The Vigilant
Jun: 2000 AD summer special
July: Cor/Buster summer special
Aug: Tammy/Jinty summer special
Sep:The Vigilant
Oct: Scream / horror
Nov: Cor/Buster winter special
Dec: Tammy/Jinty winter special

I'm guess the answer would be "not viable at all", but I'd happily sign up to that for 40–50 quid a year.

broodblik

I will also go for this. A monthly schedule  like the meg
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I suppose the problem with this line of thinking is it perhaps doesn't work unless enough people are all-in. But Tharg could feasibly do subs to individual titles as well – and three issues a year isn't _that_ far from where Titan's Doctor Who comic ended up.

Woolly

A 2000AD/Dredd/Scream & Jinty/Vigilant Megazine could work.

IndigoPrime

Matt Smith doesn't seem keen on crossing the streams. Which is fair enough.

DrJomster

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 October, 2019, 02:07:04 PM
I wonder how viable it would be to release these on some kind of rotation.

Jan: The Vigilant
Feb: Scream and Misty Valentine's special / horror
Mar: Cor/Buster spring special
Apr: Tammy/Jinty spring special
May: The Vigilant
Jun: 2000 AD summer special
July: Cor/Buster summer special
Aug: Tammy/Jinty summer special
Sep:The Vigilant
Oct: Scream / horror
Nov: Cor/Buster winter special
Dec: Tammy/Jinty winter special

I'm guess the answer would be "not viable at all", but I'd happily sign up to that for 40–50 quid a year.

I'd be up for this too. Or something like it. For me, alternating Misty/Scream, Tammy/Jinty would be an automatic subscription. Just saying...
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Ghastly McNasty

broodblik

Great use of the different artist on the different parts of the story. One of my favorite specials this year. Hope we get more of the same and more regularly.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Finally caught up with this and it was really rather good. Benefitted over other Specials in being a single story - nicely devised to have multiple mostly wonderful art styles - rather than the anthology format that has in the past meant some stories haven't really got off the ground.

That story is a fine one too. Reassuringly placed in what's gone before but by the end with a fantastic way to push it forward into a more contempary take.

Then from there a great new short story nicely tied to that new idea.

This was fantastic and would welcome more Specials having this more solid format. Massive well done to all involved and an especial nod to Robo-K33f (I assume) for coming up with a very neat solution to the biggest issue the Specials have had to date.