Main Menu

Movies you haven't seen?

Started by Apestrife, 20 October, 2019, 10:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 21 October, 2019, 11:15:26 AM
I'm very cautious about watching as many so called 'classic movies' as possible. No point rushing them, they're never out of print or off streaming services, hence why i've never seen Lawrence of Arabia, Trainspotting, Oliver!, or Dead Mans Shoes despite all being ingrained in internet and global pop culture. I'll get around to them eventually, along with a lot of movies already covered.

Quote from: Professor Bear on 20 October, 2019, 07:18:15 PM
I have seen Robot Jox at least 16 times.  My conscience is clear.

Ditto.

I watched Lawrence of Arabia a few years ago and didn't enjoy it at all. The theme is a lovely piece of music but bloody hell is it overplayed in the film! They may as well have just had it on repeat non-stop.

Thinking about it, there are loads of classic westerns I'd like to see. The trouble is, I get mixed up with what's what. I don't think I've ever seen High Noon, The Shootist, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. There are loads.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sheridan on 21 October, 2019, 11:35:33 AM

Never even heard of Dead Mans Shoes - is this a recent film?

Even if you've never seen the movie, you'll have seen clips or gifs around the internet. It's the one where Paddy Considine goes ape shit.

Quote from: JamesC on 21 October, 2019, 11:35:44 AM
Thinking about it, there are loads of classic westerns I'd like to see. The trouble is, I get mixed up with what's what. I don't think I've ever seen High Noon, The Shootist, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. There are loads.

Definitely get around to seeing High Noon, it is, and no shit, an absolute masterpiece.

Link Prime

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 October, 2019, 10:53:31 AM
I must have seen The Godfather and it's sequels hundreds of times.

Like who hasn't?
And I bet these fottuti falsi were tuning in to The Sopranos every week too.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Link Prime on 21 October, 2019, 11:46:10 AM

Like who hasn't?

Many haven't according to some of the comments in this thread.

Mardroid

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 October, 2019, 01:37:25 PM

Like who hasn't?

Me included. I've seen parts of one of two but I've never seen them all the way through.

I think I actually bought it on VHS. Will into the time period when I was already watching Blu-ray.

I was with a friend and we happened on a video shop whose downstairs was full of video tapes going extremely cheaply, as you could imagine. I bought it with a couple of other things on a whim, really.

Never got round to watching it, and now I don't think I've got anything to watch it ON.

Also never seen the Rambo films all the way through. I think I saw chunks of the first (very late) and got the gist of what was going on. Never much appealed despite me liking Swazzenegger action films like Commando back in the day.

Professor Bear

The Rambo movies change drastically as they progress - the first one is more a drama about a traumatised Vietnam veteran terrorising a small town, and then the next one is about the terrifying monster from the previous movie being a good guy now because he kills communists instead of cops.  In the third movie he teams up with Al Qaeda.

Quote from: JamesC on 21 October, 2019, 11:35:44 AMThinking about it, there are loads of classic westerns I'd like to see. The trouble is, I get mixed up with what's what. I don't think I've ever seen High Noon, The Shootist, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. There are loads.

"Think back, Pilgrim..."  Even with it's unforgivable lack of giant fighting robots, I can't recommend The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance enough.
The paradigm began shifting long before, but post-1990s Westerns - thanks to high-profile superstar vehicles like Unforgiven and Dances With Wolves - cemented the idea in audiences that the Wild West might not have been great if you weren't a cis white dude living out a fantasy life as an outlaw beholden to none.  Before that, Westerns were largely a means of disseminating the myth of American exceptionalism, manifest destiny, and white supremacy, and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance still works on both sides of the 1990s because it's expressly about how a white man gets everything he wanted by lying to voters, how people believe myths over the truth, and how the media are propagandists in a mutually-beneficial relationship with the ruling classes.

Link Prime

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 21 October, 2019, 01:37:25 PM

Like who hasn't?

< The Rock rolling his eyes Gif >

I've never seen Seven Samurai, or any Disney animated movie (the whole way through).

Hawkmumbler

OK dude, for the love of god, WATCH SEVEN SAMURAI.

And Throne of Blood....and Hidden Fortress....and Yojimbo and Sanjuro.

von Boom

I've never watched Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Repo Man, or Casablanca. I'm sure there's many more.

Frank

Quote from: von Boom on 21 October, 2019, 04:36:25 PM
I've never watched Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Repo Man, or Casablanca. I'm sure there's many more.

I'm not sure these (and other mainstream classics mentioned above) are too much of a shocker on a board populated by sci-fi nerds who were too young to see those films in cinemas.

Who among us will admit never having seen Star Trek, Star Wars, Terminator, Aliens or Robocop?

Despite worshipping James Cameron since I was the literal ten-year-old boy to whose ass Bill Paxton's sleazeball character compares that of Jamie Lee-Curtis (in True Lies), I've never watched Avatar.

Premise did nothing for me, thought the effects looked lame, but assumed I'd watch it on video or catch it on telly. When Channel 4 showed it, it started at 6pm and finished at 10pm - fuck that. Now there are four of them.

Hawkmumbler

Avatar occupies this strange place in sci-fi pop culture. Everyone's heard of it. Most have seen it. Damned if anyone actually give a shit about it though.

Funt Solo

Avatar's just not very good. It's an amazing spectacle, but it's got no soul (despite desperately trying to have one).

Just watch Aliens and read The Lorax: you'll save time and it'll be more culturally significant.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mattofthespurs

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 October, 2019, 02:35:04 PM
... The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance still works on both sides of the 1990s because it's expressly about how a white man gets everything he wanted by lying to voters, how people believe myths over the truth, and how the media are propagandists in a mutually-beneficial relationship with the ruling classes.

Pro Bear's gift for creating entertaining and ingenious ideological (mis)readings of shit films has, for once, deserted him. That's exactly what the fantastic Liberty Valance is about.

John Ford was still an obnoxious wee wanker, though. Even if The Searchers has a good claim on the title Greatest Film Of All Time.

Link Prime