Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prog 2168 - Master at arms!  (Read 1211 times)

norton canes

• Sentient Tea Bot
  • The leper heart will see you for what you are
    • View Profile
Re: Prog 2168 - Master at arms!
« Reply #15 on: 13 February, 2020, 10:21:31 am »
Gonna have to put me in the 'slightly disappointed' camp re. Dredd, I'm afraid. I thought this was going to build on the time travel aspect and conclude with some satisfying Steven Moffat-esque timey-wimey paradox thing but that whole aspect was jettisoned. Still, hoping we see more of the Future Crimes Unit and there ongoing feud with Psi Div.

Feel a tiny bit guilty about criticizing Blink last week, this was a quality installment. Looking forward to a nice juicy denouement next prog. Proteus Vex... gah, I don't know. On the one hand I'm warming to the protagonists as they get some character development, but the rather mundane space-opera plot isn't grabbing me at all. It needs to be much more weird! Zaucer of Zilk as I've said before just isn't my Qup of Qea. Feral & Foe on the other hand continues to be glorious, cannot fault it.

norton canes

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 February, 2020, 11:15:26 am »
Brink

Clearly thinking too much about Steven Moffat

Woolly

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 February, 2020, 05:06:45 pm »
Great proggage, just great. Primary thought: Lynch's art coloured by Boswell is an absolute joy

Good god yes! Lynch and Boswell work so well together, more please Tharg!

Leigh S

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 February, 2020, 06:54:27 pm »
Can I say I really like the Lawmaster design on the cover?  A good mix of classic and Willsher! That would work well for the Warlord games

Magnetica

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 February, 2020, 09:21:37 am »
Gonna have to put me in the 'slightly disappointed' camp re. Dredd, I'm afraid. I thought this was going to build on the time travel aspect and conclude with some satisfying Steven Moffat-esque timey-wimey paradox thing but that whole aspect was jettisoned. Still, hoping we see more of the Future Crimes Unit and there ongoing feud with Psi Div.

Feel a tiny bit guilty about criticizing Blink last week, this was a quality installment. Looking forward to a nice juicy denouement next prog. Proteus Vex... gah, I don't know. On the one hand I'm warming to the protagonists as they get some character development, but the rather mundane space-opera plot isn't grabbing me at all. It needs to be much more weird! Zaucer of Zilk as I've said before just isn't my Qup of Qea. Feral & Foe on the other hand continues to be glorious, cannot fault it.

So what you are saying, if I have got this right is...Zaucer of Zilk is too weird, and Proteus Vex isn’t weird enough?  :D

norton canes

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 February, 2020, 01:40:09 pm »
Yes. I mean, no. Er... that is, I'm not really keen on Zaucer's psychedelic shade of weird; but I do think Proteus Vex needs something a bit more unconventional, more outré perhaps, than the space war saga type stuff it's currently built around. Apologies if my sketchily-expressed opinions on the two strips seemed mutually incompatible  :)

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 February, 2020, 03:02:21 pm »
I see where Norton is coming from: Vex is a fairly straightforward space-opera plot dressed-up in weird and wonderful visuals, while Zaucer's plotting is unconventional to a fault but depends quite a lot on a standardised '60s psychedelic palette.

Happily I think both mixes work well.

Trout

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • "Because I hate you."
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 February, 2020, 03:46:33 pm »
I really enjoyed that Dredd story. Nice, compact ending. We need more like this.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 February, 2020, 04:39:15 pm »
I liked it too, and not just because it looked fabulous: it was a good idea neatly told. Interesting that consensus seems to be that Kill Bloopy was too long and Future Crimes was too short. Who'd want to write Dredd, eh.