Main Menu

RESULTS - The Rebellion Years Top 10 Series - Tournament

Started by broodblik, 01 July, 2020, 06:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I will announce the winners  as follows:

- Wednesday the positions 6 - 10
- Thursday the positions 3 - 5
- Friday the Winner and Second place thrills plus the full list (and some interesting or boring stats, depending on how you see stats)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

So here is the positions from 6 to 10:

6. Cradlegrave
7. Jaegir
8. Caballistics Inc
9. Brass Sun
10. Button Man   
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

I'll copy my comment on the 6-10 slots from the other thread here to keep them in context.

QuoteCool two of the thrills I voted for placed already. Given the competition I'm chuffed both Cradlegrave and Brass Sun made the top ten.

Interesting to see Button Man there. I do think the fourth one is great - that is the only one from the Rebellion years right? - and it might get to my overall top ten but not Rebellion Years for me.

Caballistics Inc made my top 20 and I know how loved Jaegir is. Its going to be fascinatating to see the rest.

AlexF

It's fitting that Frazer Irving gets a spot on the list - his work was a huge part of getting me all fired up about 2000AD again in the early 2000s. Curious that Button Man IV is what gets singled out, not the first place I go to when I think of Irving + 2000AD.

Who knows if the creators will read this Top 10 and make anything of it, but if it spurs Edington along to get back to the story of Wren and her quest to wind up the clock at the heart of the Brass Sun, I will be super happy! Gordon Rennie knows he's good, and seems to know which of his strips are his most successful, too - I couldn't be happier to have him back in the world of Cabs, Inc in the Prog right now!

broodblik

I will also on Friday publish the totals per writer

IndigoPrime

Brass Sun is also one of the loveliest collected volumes 2000 AD has ever released. I suspect the chances of getting another are slim to none.

DrJomster

Fascinating stuff! What a list already, it really is. Roll on the next part of the results.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

broodblik

So here is the positions from 3 to 5:

3. Kingdom
4. Strontium Dog
5. Shakara

Rogue Judge

I'm surprised that Strontium Dog came in at #4, I figured 'ol Johnny would clinch the #1 spot for sure! And Gene would not be happy with #3 - him top dog!

Funt Solo

Shakara and Kingdom are both quite high concept gigs that just really work well. Kingdom breaks the rule of having your main character feature in the title: but you couldn't really call it "Gene the Hackman" - partly because for all his whetting, he's a caring soul.

I knew Kingdom would rate highly ... but now I can't put my finger on the top two.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 02 July, 2020, 03:40:02 AM
I'm surprised that Strontium Dog came in at #4, I figured 'ol Johnny would clinch the #1 spot for sure! And Gene would not be happy with #3 - him top dog!

I am sure that Strontium Dog will most likely get the top spot when I ran the Galaxy's Greatest tourney. I am sure the classics like Nemesis will also rate quite high.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 July, 2020, 03:53:48 AMI knew Kingdom would rate highly ... but now I can't put my finger on the top two.

Brink and...?

Colin YNWA

Well that shows the strenght of 2000ad under Rebellion, assuming my call for the top two is correct and it matches mine this is an astonishing list. So, so good.

I didn't find a slot for Strontium Dog in my top 10, nor even my top 20 (though that might be a mistake) and yet there it is at number 4 and you can't argue that, its such a strong strip.

Andy B

Wow - so (at least) one of Nikolai Dante, Brink & Sinister Dexter didn't even make the top 10. Recount!

Good showing from Strontium Dog. I marked it lower, as the Rebellion stuff wasn't as good as the earlier stuff (not much is!). But maybe I was wrong: right to the end, the Prog always felt a bit special when SD was in it.

broodblik

Quote from: Andy B on 02 July, 2020, 07:05:20 AM
Wow - so (at least) one of Nikolai Dante, Brink & Sinister Dexter didn't even make the top 10. Recount!

Conspiracy Theory.......