Main Menu

If there was a different artist it SHOULDN'T be...

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 18 September, 2020, 10:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

The last thread I started got me thinking about the opposite situation.  I was considering artists who, depsite being good, would be the last person you'd get to draw a particular strip.
Arthur Ranson on Hewligan's Haircut, for example.  Anthony Williams on Anderson: Engram.  John Hicklenton on Halo Jones.  That kind of thing.

EDIT... I'm not so sure about that last one, actually. I'd love to see it.  So I'll put forward Carlos on Nemesis instead - two amazing things that just don't fit together.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

MumboJimbo

The only two that spring to mind are Boo Cook for Hope and Mark Harrison for Lawless (anyone other than Phil Winslade would feel sacrilege though).

Just to be clear I love the work of both artists but feel Boo's cartoony style would be hard to adapt to the Noire-ish feel of Hope, and Harrison's our-of-focus dreamscapes wouldn't work in Lawless. Having said that though I bet if either of these changes were ever to occur, they're both of a caliber to make it work somehow.

Around the prog 600s we didn't have to imagine such scenarios, they were happening quite often in the prog!

broodblik

Jimmy Broxton on Survival Geeks and Neil Googe on Hope
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Greg M.

Simon Davis on Dredd - outside of specific types of story. I've said this before elsewhere - Davis is a very skilled artist, and he's done Dredds before, but whilst he's great at craggy faces and landscapes, high-tech stuff doesn't seem to something he's hugely into drawing. He's not the guy for overtly futuristic stuff and I wouldn't ask him to design a sci-fi vehicle - Sin Dex worked fine 'cos it's not as tech-heavy as Dredd, but his recent run on Slaine showed him in his element, producing the best strip work of his career. I think Davis is probably a lot like John Ridgway in that respect. Give Ridgway a scene in the great outdoors (post-apocalyptic or otherwise) and you have pure genius, but MC-1 would not have been his thing.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 September, 2020, 07:09:48 AM
Dave Kendall on Survival Geeks.

The trouble is as soon as folks say something like this, which feels like the artist would be a bad fit I'm automatically intrigued to see how it would work!

Also how the artist would be able to flex their style to fit to the strip.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 September, 2020, 10:01:40 AM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 September, 2020, 07:09:48 AM
Dave Kendall on Survival Geeks.

The trouble is as soon as folks say something like this, which feels like the artist would be a bad fit I'm automatically intrigued to see how it would work!

Also how the artist would be able to flex their style to fit to the strip.

Kind of enjoying trying to imagine these things. 

What about Dom Reardon on Time Flies?  Or perhaps Henry Flint on Cradlegrave?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: AlexF on 21 September, 2020, 10:45:19 AM
Kim Raymond on Cradlegrave

Kind of wouldn't mind seeing that. I can imagine a sort of Scream comic atmosphere (with more sex, drugs and swearing, that is).