Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 2 - Massimo Belardinelli or Brian Bolland

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 January, 2021, 06:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

If there is one thing, just one thing I've learnt from this tourney its how to spell Belardinelli (please tell me I got this right) and just as I do so he hits up against Bolland - damn!

Anyway would it be weird if I went all meta here and tried to parody myself parodying someone / something else to basically just say I don't care if you can see beyond the links of Bruce Patterson and think that Camelot 3000 is an artist wonder, nor do we wish to discuss the best colouring on Killing Joke. To try to find a new level of humour (ahem) to mock how I'd say ignore early works in Battle, Valiant and others and later pictures of bearded maestros found in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ... or should I just give it to you straight that we are only to consider works for Tharg here?

Alas we have to pick our favourite and to do so just pop the name of the art droid you'd most like to go through to the Quarter Finals, but please add anything else you'd like to say as well.

Massimo Belardinelli - more info

OR

Brian Bolland - more info

This one will close and be counted on the morning of Friday 22nd January

What the hell is all this? Current state of play Find out more about the Art Droid Tourneys and Round 2

Who made the 32 in both tourneys?

Entrants in the Current Art Droids Tourney

Entrants in the Classic Art Droids Tourney

Rules for what they are worth

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Aww, no way!

vs.

I love them both equally, man! On the one hand, super-clean and amazing figure work, on the other hand the flights of whimsy and creativity that brought everything so to life.

Okay - it's Brian Bolland for selling 2000 AD to me in the first place*, but they're both wonderful.

*My first prog:
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Two absolute legends.

Just love Belardinelli. But it's gotta be Bolland.

abelardsnazz

Massimo Belardinelli, for a legacy of such great stuff: Meltdown Man, Slaine, The Dead...

TordelBack

Bolland is one of the supreme beings of 2000AD whose unprecedented art lent the comic so much cachet and recognition, it's hard to imagine it without him. But for Bride of Crom and Dragonheist alone,  never mind everything else, my vote goes to Massimo. Completely unique art, never equalled.

Huey2

AlexF

Not a fair contest by any means, but an easy choice for me: Massimo Belardinelli.

ming

Unfair!  Again!  Still, at least I don't find this one as difficult as I thought I might - Massimo for me!  There's no question that Brian Bolland is one of my favourite 2000AD artists but when I compare his contributions to those of Massimo, it's an easy choice.  Bolland's amazing covers and legendary work on Dredd vs. Ace Trucking, Meltdown Man, Black Hawk (and the rest) and the endless, fizzing energy of Belardinelli.  Both meticulous craftsmen but in terms of artistic output and the resultant hours of enjoyment, Massimo has the edge.

IndigoPrime

Bolland is a wonderful draughtsman, and his fine, detailed inking has rarely been matched in the Prog, and on covers only Cliff Robinson hits the same notes. Some of his Dredd work remains among the best around. But there's not that much of it.

Belardinelli had his issues with drawing the human figure, but everything else was eye-popping, imaginative and witty. He could turn strips that were a trudge into a delight. He was treated really shoddily by the comic towards the end of his tenure, and so I'm really glad this forum let him know how much he was appreciated before he passed.

So for being bonkers and brilliant: Belardinelli. Sorry, Brian.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

For every criticism levelled at Belardinelli, I could throw an equally cutting one back at Bolland. But what would be the point? Both are masters of their craft, and this comes down to a very personal gut feeling of which I prefer and would prefer to read: and that is absolutely, no question, Belardinelli.

SBT

Bolt-01

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!